This Little Girl Is My Fucking Hero!

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 2 Average
07-11-2014, 11:38 AM
RE: This Little Girl Is My Fucking Hero!
(07-11-2014 11:26 AM)wazzel Wrote:  I still ignore them. What is the alternative? Give them what they are looking for? They want either a confrontation or an audience. This guy got both.

The alternative is to show anyone watching why these people are idiots. And no, that is not achieved by yelling for them to shut up, but her young age will make most people excuse her lack of skills and fill that gap by showing that even little kids know what they're saying is bull.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2014, 11:39 AM
Can't believe how much crap this girl is getting in this thread. She is a kid who I would have given a high five if I was there. If she was my kid I would have talked to her afterwards about the situation and her feelings about the man talking about devils and promoting fear. Christ, a bunch of you folks have her labeled as a bad kid with bad parents. Would I tell her to shout at everyone she disagres with - no, but I would not make it a point for her to internalize what she finds bothersome and offensive, or flat out scary. She is a god damned kid and cut some slack. Why make speaking your mind such a taboo? This is of course my opinion providing her vocal rant was genuine.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 3 users Like Timber1025's post
07-11-2014, 11:40 AM
(07-11-2014 11:38 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  
(07-11-2014 11:26 AM)wazzel Wrote:  I still ignore them. What is the alternative? Give them what they are looking for? They want either a confrontation or an audience. This guy got both.

The alternative is to show anyone watching why these people are idiots. And no, that is not achieved by yelling for them to shut up, but her young age will make most people excuse her lack of skills and fill that gap by showing that even little kids know what they're saying is bull.
They take care of showing everyone they are idiots on their own. Even most Christians have a huge dislike for street preachers.
07-11-2014, 11:44 AM
(07-11-2014 11:39 AM)Timber1025 Wrote:  Can't believe how much crap this girl is getting in this thread. She is a kid who I would have given a high five if I was there. If she was my kid I would have talked to her afterwards about the situation and her feelings about the man talking about devils and promoting fear. Christ, a bunch of you folks have her labeled as a bad kid with bad parents. Would I tell her to shout at everyone she disagres with - no, but I would not make it a point for her to internalize what she finds bothersome and offensive, or flat out scary. She is a god damned kid and cut some slack. Why make speaking your mind such a taboo? This is of course my opinion providing her vocal rant was genuine.

It is not about her having her own opinion it is about her yelling "shut up" at someone with a differing opinion. I have three kids and very much encourage them to have their own opinions, even if they differ from mine. I am also doing my best to promote good behavior. I would not have allowed them to yell at this guy like that, but would have allowed them to talk to him and tell him he is wrong, probably not young like she, but now I would.
07-11-2014, 11:47 AM
(07-11-2014 11:32 AM)wazzel Wrote:  So they take the bait, the preacher gets what they want. Frankly I am not going to let the actions of others determine my actions. Idiots can be idiots on their own, I am not joining in.

Perhaps, but I think if a bunch of people stood there repeating it like this girl, the preacher's message would be drowned out and it wouldn't take very long for them to pack up and leave.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
07-11-2014, 11:51 AM
(07-11-2014 11:26 AM)wazzel Wrote:  
(07-11-2014 11:22 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  As far as I know we've been trying to ignore them for years and they're still around. And that's still giving them a very undeserved cushion. This guy decides to act like a moron and bother everyone, so it's our responsibility to just let him do whatever he wants and hope he gets bored and moves on?

And again, she's way too young for anyone to be expecting strategy from her.

I still ignore them. What is the alternative? Give them what they are looking for? They want either a confrontation or an audience. This guy got both.

I don't get why you want to sum all this topics into a black and white scenario. It's not a matter of there being 1 right way to handle annoying preachers in ignoring them or not. They're humans too, people react differently to all scenarios... and to sum it up something as good or bad behavior in a blanket way isn't helpful to many people.

The scenarios of that child aren't some negative manner of behaving or responding to most people. If you think a child should hold their tongue or respect someone who is spreading their ideas, that's your take. I wouldn't encourage any child to accept any idea or spreading of believes with the same respect.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
07-11-2014, 11:52 AM
(07-11-2014 11:47 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(07-11-2014 11:32 AM)wazzel Wrote:  So they take the bait, the preacher gets what they want. Frankly I am not going to let the actions of others determine my actions. Idiots can be idiots on their own, I am not joining in.

Perhaps, but I think if a bunch of people stood there repeating it like this girl, the preacher's message would be drowned out and it wouldn't take very long for them to pack up and leave.

The few street preachers I have encountered got encouraged by any kind of attention. I think engaging them in anyway is bad.
07-11-2014, 11:54 AM
The comments below the video make me sick. Her right to free speech is just as important as his. If her actions were "disrespectful" as some put it, some asshole on the street shouting his trash through a microphone is just as disrespectful to those who don't want to hear it. And by those that don't want to hear it, that not only includes Atheists, but families and people of other religions outside of Christianity. It's fucking offensive.
[+] 4 users Like Ferdinand's post
07-11-2014, 11:54 AM
If I encountered a street preacher who flat out ignored me like that, I would go buy a super soaker and fill it with juice.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
07-11-2014, 11:57 AM
(07-11-2014 11:52 AM)wazzel Wrote:  The few street preachers I have encountered got encouraged by any kind of attention. I think engaging them in anyway is bad.

It may depend on the specific preacher. Different ones would probably react differently. But I'm not aware that there has ever been a reaction like the one I'm suggesting. As far as I've seen, most confrontations are from one person or just a few and amount to little more than a once sentence remark like "Go home, nobody wants you here!" or "Take your bullshit back to your church!"

Anyway, I'm not committed to this being a good idea. It was just a thought that crossed my mind.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post