This Little Girl Is My Fucking Hero!

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 2 Average
07-11-2014, 11:58 AM
RE: This Little Girl Is My Fucking Hero!
(07-11-2014 11:51 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(07-11-2014 11:26 AM)wazzel Wrote:  I still ignore them. What is the alternative? Give them what they are looking for? They want either a confrontation or an audience. This guy got both.

I don't get why you want to sum all this topics into a black and white scenario. It's not a matter of there being 1 right way to handle annoying preachers in ignoring them or not. They're humans too, people react differently to all scenarios... and to sum it up something as good or bad behavior in a blanket way isn't helpful to many people.

The scenarios of that child aren't some negative manner of behaving or responding to most people. If you think a child should hold their tongue or respect someone who is spreading their ideas, that's your take. I wouldn't encourage any child to accept any idea or spreading of believes with the same respect.

The only thing I have ever see that works on street preachers is ignoring them.

I never said a child should hold their tongue or not have their own ideas. My kids are encouraged to have and discuss their own ideas. Yelling "shut up" at someone who's opinion you disagree with is bad behavior for someone of any age. The girl could be 8, 18 or 88 and I would still feel it was bad behavior.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2014, 12:04 PM
(07-11-2014 11:58 AM)wazzel Wrote:  Yelling "shut up" at someone who's opinion you disagree with is bad behavior for someone of any age. The girl could be 8, 18 or 88 and I would still feel it was bad behavior.

What you're missing is that this is far more than that. It's not like she was sitting around the dinner table and yelled "shut up" at Uncle Ed because she didn't agree with what he said. This preacher was an intrusion in her life at that moment. That was the problem, not his opinion. And he started the whole thing by imposing himself on everyone else around there.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post
07-11-2014, 12:09 PM
(07-11-2014 11:25 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  My impression from the video was that the girl was coached ahead of time. It was just a vibe I got and I don't really know. If it true then the girl was just a tool of someone else.

I had the same impression. If true, and it was an atheist putting her up to it would have been better by laying off the 'shut up' and concentrating on the 'blah blah blah, nobody wants to hear you' line. "Shut up", justifiable or not, just plays into the persecution angle. It could also be that the girl was put up to this by the preacher or another theist looking to be able to use it that way.

Then again, if she was acting on her own she has guts and a mind of her own.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
07-11-2014, 12:11 PM
(07-11-2014 11:54 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  If I encountered a street preacher who flat out ignored me like that, I would go buy a super soaker and fill it with juice.

And release a box full of bees?
[+] 3 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
07-11-2014, 12:26 PM
(07-11-2014 06:31 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I wonder how many more people have heard this street preacher's message now than if the girl remained silent?

She didn't shut him up. She promoted the street preacher's message and drew attention to him.

I wouldn't think atheists would be celebrating this.

I didn't actually hear what the guy was saying. I think it was "Jesus blah blah..."!
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
07-11-2014, 12:40 PM
(07-11-2014 12:04 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(07-11-2014 11:58 AM)wazzel Wrote:  Yelling "shut up" at someone who's opinion you disagree with is bad behavior for someone of any age. The girl could be 8, 18 or 88 and I would still feel it was bad behavior.

What you're missing is that this is far more than that. It's not like she was sitting around the dinner table and yelled "shut up" at Uncle Ed because she didn't agree with what he said. This preacher was an intrusion in her life at that moment. That was the problem, not his opinion. And he started the whole thing by imposing himself on everyone else around there.

I am not missing that. The street preacher is being totally inconsiderate. Is the problem really that his is loud or is it the subject matter? Would you feel the same is two people got loud talking about sports and some kid ran up and started yelling at them to shut up? Sure they are being inconsiderate, but is yelling "shut up" the thing to do?
07-11-2014, 01:04 PM
(07-11-2014 12:40 PM)wazzel Wrote:  I am not missing that. The street preacher is being totally inconsiderate. Is the problem really that his is loud or is it the subject matter? Would you feel the same is two people got loud talking about sports and some kid ran up and started yelling at them to shut up? Sure they are being inconsiderate, but is yelling "shut up" the thing to do?

I think you are missing it since you seem to be hung up on the issue being the "opinion". Even here, you are asking about people talking about sports as if that would make a difference. Actually, if someone pulled out a microphone in some random city intersection and started loudly pushing for support of their favorite sports team, I would have exactly the same reaction. A little girl going up and shouting "shut up!" would be perfectly acceptable to me.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
07-11-2014, 01:06 PM
(07-11-2014 11:52 AM)wazzel Wrote:  
(07-11-2014 11:47 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Perhaps, but I think if a bunch of people stood there repeating it like this girl, the preacher's message would be drowned out and it wouldn't take very long for them to pack up and leave.

The few street preachers I have encountered got encouraged by any kind of attention. I think engaging them in anyway is bad.

The only street preachers I see around Portland OR are homeless and off their medication. People make a wide berth around them, like 10 feet away if necessary.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
07-11-2014, 01:20 PM
(07-11-2014 01:04 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(07-11-2014 12:40 PM)wazzel Wrote:  I am not missing that. The street preacher is being totally inconsiderate. Is the problem really that his is loud or is it the subject matter? Would you feel the same is two people got loud talking about sports and some kid ran up and started yelling at them to shut up? Sure they are being inconsiderate, but is yelling "shut up" the thing to do?

I think you are missing it since you seem to be hung up on the issue being the "opinion". Even here, you are asking about people talking about sports as if that would make a difference. Actually, if someone pulled out a microphone in some random city intersection and started loudly pushing for support of their favorite sports team, I would have exactly the same reaction. A little girl going up and shouting "shut up!" would be perfectly acceptable to me.

Nope, I was asking incase the subject matter mattered. Regardless of the subject matter I do not see it as being the right way to handle the situation.

If it helps any in seeing my point of view, I tend to approach problems in ways to limit confrontations. If I do get in a confrontation it is because less aggressive means have failed.
07-11-2014, 01:22 PM
(07-11-2014 01:06 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(07-11-2014 11:52 AM)wazzel Wrote:  The few street preachers I have encountered got encouraged by any kind of attention. I think engaging them in anyway is bad.

The only street preachers I see around Portland OR are homeless and off their medication. People make a wide berth around them, like 10 feet away if necessary.

We got lots of them on campus when I went to college. It they were ignored they would quiet down and go away. If anyone engaged them in any way they would get aggressive and stick around for much longer. The guy in the video was tame compared to some of the wack jobs we had to deal with.