This Little Girl Is My Fucking Hero!

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 2 Average
07-11-2014, 06:53 AM
RE: This Little Girl Is My Fucking Hero!
(07-11-2014 06:45 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  So, according to your reasoning, if some skinhead is standing on the street corner preaching hatred against black people, then a black person shouldn't tell him to shut up, because then they are supporting the skinhead's message. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

I'm not making a judgement about the preacher's message. I am only pointing out that the kid drew attention to the preacher...which translates into more people hearing the preacher's message.

The kid has a right, in my mind, to tell the preacher to shut up just as a black person has the right to tell a skinhead preaching hate to shut up. The problem with such behavior is it brings attention. If you want the preacher to be ignored....then ignore him.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2014, 06:59 AM
(07-11-2014 06:49 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(07-11-2014 06:47 AM)morondog Wrote:  Basically what I'm saying is shut your pie hole, no one wants to hear your crap, preacher-man.

Stop telling everyone else what it is they want to hear or don't want to hear.

Fuck off Big Grin

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
07-11-2014, 07:30 AM
(07-11-2014 06:53 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(07-11-2014 06:45 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  So, according to your reasoning, if some skinhead is standing on the street corner preaching hatred against black people, then a black person shouldn't tell him to shut up, because then they are supporting the skinhead's message. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

I'm not making a judgement about the preacher's message. I am only pointing out that the kid drew attention to the preacher...which translates into more people hearing the preacher's message.

The kid has a right, in my mind, to tell the preacher to shut up just as a black person has the right to tell a skinhead preaching hate to shut up. The problem with such behavior is it brings attention. If you want the preacher to be ignored....then ignore him.
Shouting without substance is juvenile but it does send a message that, "this is not okay".
How does ignoring problems help anyway?

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
07-11-2014, 07:36 AM
(07-11-2014 05:32 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(06-11-2014 10:35 PM)Plan 9 from OS Wrote:  No, you misunderstand me. I'm saying the girl is a brat because she's just a kid and is not being respectful to an adult. I get that you think the guy is being a dick, but I won't agree with letting any kid make a value judgment and to take it upon him/herself to go off on an adult because he/she disagrees with what the adult is saying. Let another adult take up that battle. I'm all for freedom and I'm all for protecting children from the monsters of the world. But children are not old enough nor have the maturity to be able to exercise their full rights as Americans. Kids need to be taught, and badmouthing an adult to his face is not teaching the kid how to be mature adult.

Bring children up suppressing their views so they can better express their views as adults?

Seems legit. Drinking Beverage

Who said anything about suppressing their views? She could easily talk to her parents about how much the guy bothered her and then the 3 of them could have had a good discussion about religion, free speech and whether they feel that the street preacher was being responsible or irresponsible. You also posted your opinion that I'm a tad skewed on this. As a parent, I am and I admit it. I would not want my daughter to act out like that in public the way the girl did in the video.

It seems like there is an assumption that the kid is practically a mini-adult who is a free thinker and can make informed decisions. IMHO, the kid is just acting out like an overindulged brat. It may look cute on the surface to see an 8 year old standing up to an annoying street preacher. But c'mon, she has no real understanding about what it all means. All she knows is someone is being loud and she took the opportunity to act out because the guy was being loud. I have 3 kids and I've been down this road before. I know the difference between them expressing their views legitimately and them taking advantage of a situation to act like a goofball in public. She has no idea how dangerous religions and cults can be. She's likely only 8 years old.

I'm not disagreeing with the disdain for street preachers - I can't stand them. All I'm saying is the kid is not behaving herself. That's my opinion on it.
[+] 1 user Likes Plan 9 from OS's post
07-11-2014, 07:47 AM
(07-11-2014 07:30 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  
(07-11-2014 06:53 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I'm not making a judgement about the preacher's message. I am only pointing out that the kid drew attention to the preacher...which translates into more people hearing the preacher's message.

Shouting without substance is juvenile but it does send a message that, "this is not okay".

Hmm...street preaching is protected speech as far as I am concerned. Your problem is he has a right to preach and you don't like that. If you wanted to preach, "There is no God....You will not be saved....go forth and fornicate"....I don't see that as some sort of assault as an Ajele suggests or a problem as you suggest. I might not agree with your message and I certainly would not take action to draw attention to it.
07-11-2014, 08:00 AM
(07-11-2014 07:47 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(07-11-2014 07:30 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Shouting without substance is juvenile but it does send a message that, "this is not okay".

Hmm...street preaching is protected speech as far as I am concerned. Your problem is he has a right to preach and you don't like that. If you wanted to preach, "There is no God....You will not be saved....go forth and fornicate"....I don't see that as some sort of assault as an Ajele suggests or a problem as you suggest. I might not agree with your message and I certainly would not take action to draw attention to it.
There you go, twisting what I said. Maybe I should just ignore you.
But no, that would make you think what you said wasn't a problem. See how that works? Preaching is protected and responses to the preaching is also protected. The "problem" is a reflection of what the girl felt, she didn't want to idly stand by or just ignore it and addressed what she viewed as the problem. If we knew more about the situation I could elaborate, it is Salem after all. I doubt hell fire speech is a rarity, with the witches and all.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
07-11-2014, 08:02 AM
Quote: Hey, you don't say that!

That was a Step Brothers quote by the way. That scene of the movie has taught me everything I know about how to deal with confrontation. Wink

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
07-11-2014, 08:10 AM
(07-11-2014 06:47 AM)morondog Wrote:  I autotune those fuckers out anyway,

I immediately thought of tea-stain or whatever that rappers name is, just preaching some awful autotuned vocals.
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
07-11-2014, 08:13 AM
(07-11-2014 08:02 AM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  
Quote: Hey, you don't say that!

That was a Step Brothers quote by the way. That scene of the movie has taught me everything I know about how to deal with confrontation. Wink

I like "You shut your mouth when you're talking to me!"(wedding crashers) But that only works in person... And not so well with Stephen Hawking.
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
07-11-2014, 08:21 AM
(07-11-2014 08:13 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(07-11-2014 08:02 AM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  That was a Step Brothers quote by the way. That scene of the movie has taught me everything I know about how to deal with confrontation. Wink

I like "You shut your mouth when you're talking to me!"(wedding crashers) But that only works in person... And not so well with Stephen Hawking.

Lol the beauty of being an ass is that you don't have to make sense. I almost quoted "You and your mom are hillbillies. This is a house of learned doctors"

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
[+] 1 user Likes LadyWallFlower's post