This Man Changed My Life

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-10-2016, 09:23 AM (This post was last modified: 27-10-2016 09:50 AM by true scotsman.)
This Man Changed My Life
I have found something wonderful that I'd like to share and this seems to be the best forum to do it in.

A while ago I was scouring the web for videos about bikepacking and I came across a video called Mountain Bikes and Bothy Nights and through that video I discovered Alasdair Humphreys. This man has changed my life. I thought I would share this video where he lays out an introduction to his Micro Adventure concept.

I watched all of his videos and then told my family that we were going to the hot springs pool that is near our home but instead of driving as we normally do we were going to ride our bikes there. It's 16 miles out in the middle of the high desert all by itself with a spectacular view of the Sangre De Christo mountains looming up a few miles to the west. They thought it would be fun and so we set out that morning, loaded our stuff in dry bags, strapped them to our mountain bikes and headed down back roads to avoid the heavy truck traffic. We rode into a heavy thundershower and it was fun (except for a few bolts of lightning) and we got soaked but our stuff was dry. It cleared out quickly and we were riding right toward a magnificent rainbow. Then the Mountains were looming big and craggy and there way in the distance was the hot springs with it's oasis of water and trees in the otherwise dry sagebrushy flatness of the valley floor. After riding 16 miles the hot water felt amazing. We had been there many times but this time it felt so different. We got to see some of the valley that we've never seen, had fun getting pummeled by huge raindrops and got to ride some seldom traveled dirt back roads. And we still had the ride home to look forward to.

I was watching another video about the same time ( sorry I don't remember which one) and the guy in it was asked why he quit his job to ride his bike the length of North and South America. He said something that really hit me. He said that the mundane and the routine are the enemies of time. They make it fly by. He is so right. I don't remember what I did the week or even the month before going on that impromptu trip but I remember that day like it just happened. It was so far out of our routine. I do remember the days after it because for several days I was out there on the road in my mind while working and planning my next microadventure. We've done many, many since then and I feel like we did more this year than in the last 5. It has changed everything. Now I'd rather go on 52 microadventures than take a week long vacation somewhere. Since then we've ridden our bikes down the frozen Rio Grande River, made hot chocolate and watched the full moon rise from the top of a small mountain and then hiked back to the car by moonlight, gone on many S24O (sub 24 hour overnighters), and many more. Going out to eat now means riding to a beautiful spot in the mountains and making dinner on our backpacking stoves and watching the sunset and drinking coffee with whiskey.

They don't cost a lot and you can even do them on a Wednesday night if you want and be back to work the next day, invigorated.

If you are in a rut or just need to spice up your life I hope you will put this man's ideas to work and improve your life immensely as we have. Start thinking "5 to 9" and break the routine. And always remember "jumping in rivers is good for the soul".

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 13 users Like true scotsman's post
27-10-2016, 01:42 PM
RE: This Man Changed My Life
I've seen this. Thanks for posting it.
27-10-2016, 02:14 PM (This post was last modified: 27-10-2016 02:50 PM by true scotsman.)
(27-10-2016 01:42 PM)skyking Wrote:  I've seen this. Thanks for posting it.

Have you been on any? I've got a whole list of ideas and I'm definitely not stopping for the colder weather. Wednesday night Moonlight snowshoeing anyone? There will be whiskey.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
27-10-2016, 04:11 PM
Thank you for a very evocative story. I'm envious of your new approach to daily life. Thumbsup

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
28-10-2016, 12:31 AM
Good story and video. I've visited a fair number of those bothies over the years while walking and climbing in the Scottish Highlands. They are indeed wonderful places and you do meet some very interesting people. I took my daughter with me while exploring the Outer Hebrides last year...........my first visit too although I've been to many of the Inner Hebrides over the years. We camped or stayed in bothies in remote places. It was magical.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
28-10-2016, 07:29 AM
(27-10-2016 02:14 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(27-10-2016 01:42 PM)skyking Wrote:  I've seen this. Thanks for posting it.

Have you been on any? I've got a whole list of ideas and I'm definitely not stopping for the colder weather. Wednesday night Moonlight snowshoeing anyone? There will be whiskey.
we did things like that when we were kids. One time, I caught my brother sneaking out of the house at midnight. he knew he had to take me along. It was snowing these giant flakes, pretty hard. Maybe 4" of new and building fast. The snow looked so nice in the big mercury lamps on all the barns.
We trudged along the road and then cut across some fields, and somebody spotted us. They must have figured we were going to steal the tack from their barn or something, they spotlighted us and we dove down into the snow for what seemed like an hour.
They gave up and we made our way back home on a circuitous route.
Later the nosy neighbor mentioned that there were prowlers out, and we knew he had figured it out. My brother never really said what the mission was, I think it was just the big snow.
28-10-2016, 01:15 PM
(28-10-2016 12:31 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  Good story and video. I've visited a fair number of those bothies over the years while walking and climbing in the Scottish Highlands. They are indeed wonderful places and you do meet some very interesting people. I took my daughter with me while exploring the Outer Hebrides last year...........my first visit too although I've been to many of the Inner Hebrides over the years. We camped or stayed in bothies in remote places. It was magical.

We have something similar to bothies here in Colorado. We have hut systems in the high country but you have to book them quite a ways in advance. There is a new mountain biking route between Durango in the San Juan mountains and Moab Utau that has a hut system but I think you have to be in a group and guided to use them. I'm happy with my MSR Hubbard Hubbard 2 tent. I like that feeling of having everything I need to survive and have fun with me. It gives me such a sense of freedom to go where I want and know I can spend the night comfortably.

I'd like to visit Scotland some day and do some bike packing. Maybe see where my ancestors came from.

18-11-2016, 10:48 AM
Wow great video. Really motivates me to do something Smile