This Polish Soldier is the Most Heroic Man of Whom I Have Ever Heard. Ever.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-06-2017, 12:04 AM
RE: This Polish Soldier is the Most Heroic Man of Whom I Have Ever Heard. Ever.
Watanabe for president, dude! Bowing
In the past couple of years i have been annoying the shit out of my japanese co-worker for telling him each time when a movie with Ken was on TV here. But he acknowledges that Watanabe is awesome. Big Grin

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
09-06-2017, 01:15 AM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2017 01:24 AM by Szuchow.)
RE: This Polish Soldier is the Most Heroic Man of Whom I Have Ever Heard. Ever.
(08-06-2017 05:07 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(08-06-2017 03:17 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I would also add Raoul Wallenberg (who met his end at the hand of Soviets) and Chiune Sugihara to this list.

Good additions! These men deserve much honor. This really has me thinking a lot about the way we teach history... and little of it is complimentary to the American educational system. Sad

So I think I'll quote a part of what I just learned about Sugihara, on Wikipedia, for others to enjoy without having to click anything:

Chiune "Sempo" Sugihara (杉原 千畝? Sugihara Chiune, 1 January 1900 – 31 July 1986) was a Japanese diplomat who served as Vice-Consul for the Empire of Japan in Lithuania. During World War II, he helped between 10,000 and 40,000 Jews leave the country by issuing transit visas so that they could travel to Japanese territory, risking his career and his family's lives. The Jews who escaped were refugees from German-occupied Western Poland or Soviet-occupied Eastern Poland, as well as residents of Lithuania. In 1985, Israel named him to the Righteous Among the Nations for his actions, the only Japanese national to be so honored.

Sugihara had told the refugees to call him "Sempo", the Sino-Japanese reading of the characters in his given name, discovering it was much easier for Western people to pronounce.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiune_Sugihara

So Sugihara saves at least five times as many people as Oskar Schindler (the low-ball estimate of the number saved is at 6000 for Sugihara, with 1200 for Schindler), but Schindler gets a movie. Dodgy

I would loooove to see a Sugihara movie... oh please, oh please, oh PLEASE let the lead be played by Ken Watanabe! (Tied for my favorite actor.)

I did actually know about Wallenberg... and agree with his heroism, but I can understand why he made a poorer subject for a film treatment than Schindler, given how little actual information is available, and the blowback that might have occurred if too much speculation in crafting the script led to people (esp. family members) feeling like he had been disrespected. Nevertheless, you're right, such people should be household names.

I too didn't learned about them in school nor during the University courses. I got the info from books so it is not like our system is better.

As for different approach to teaching history there was nice fragment in Yehuda Bauer Rethinking the Holocaust - "Napoleon won The Battle of Austerlitz. But where is mention of his soldiers who helped even if a little?" Teaching history is too much focused on big names, lives and woes of ordinary people don't really show.

There is also issue with names like Pilecki, Wallenberg or Sugihara. They were heroes but one has to take care for not overshadowing heroism of ordinary people who didn't have means of officials like Wallenberg or Sugihara or training like Pilecki and yet saved lives. School should taught about them, sure, but maybe as something akin to introduction of subject of Righteous Among the Nations. In this I see greatest courage worth commemorating - in sawing your neighbors despite risk of death and your own poverty.

There is also other side of the coin and no history teacher worth his salt should forgot to mention it. Jews weren't only saved but often denounced too. Poland is peculiar example there -
it have the world's highest count of numbering 6 706 individuals who have been recognized by Yad Vashem as Righteous Among the Nations, but on the other hand number of shmaltsovnik's is estimated at 3 to 4 thousand in Warsaw alone. This should be remembered too even if for different reasons.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post