This Was a Triumph

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-04-2011, 02:48 AM
This Was a Triumph
A few of you might remember a user on here a few months ago with the username "malikai". He was a gay Christian interested in learning our side of the coin. While he was here, he an I got into conversation via Personal Message and had lots of just really civil talks. I shared with him my coming out experience and a log of an informal Facebook debate I had with my brother shortly after my coming out, and he read through our walls of text and really seemed to grow and learn from it (probably more than I did Tongue).

He recently contacted me again, and I asked if I could share his message with you, which he accepted:

malikai Wrote:hey this might come across as both long and random but idk i thought i would share this with you

I really just wanted to say thank you... i know we never met in person but you helped get me to a point in my life where i actually am starting to be happy.

When i first started talking to you i was questioning my faith and genuinely for the first time in my life started questioning these things in my life, i was at a point where i felt like if i didn't know something i felt i wasn't "gifted" for it, i stopped learning and really just kind of idled out. If i wanted something i prayed, if it didn't happen i assumed it was for the best. I felt like my sin for being gay hurt my god, and i was very depressed with dreams of just dying because then i would be in heaven and not have to suffer.

In that short time we started talking you gave me that last push i needed to really stop and question everything...

From when we started talking i have gotten so much more secure in my homosexuality, i feel ok to say I am gay in public... I have come out to more people with really just my family not knowing. I have gotten back in school and actively pursuing my degree in computer science... I have a love for physics, and i am looking into investing and possibly searching for new methods for life extension. I openly support the homosexual community in my area, and I landed a wonderful job because i stopped just sitting there and waiting for god to give me what i asked for, and i learned, taught, and fought my way to get where i want to be. I love my job, i am happy, and i am more honest with myself, and want to have a bigger roll in the human rights campaign.

I say all this because like i said... in talking with you, you gave me the last push i needed to really start calling bullshit on what was shoved down my neck...

So again... thank you.

I told him that it might have been me to give him the initial push, but it was him that kept walking down the road to the freedom he's experiencing. I'm really happy for him!

Just thought to share with the world some good news. ^_^ Seems like a rarity nowadays. Tongue

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like ebilekittae's post
29-04-2011, 03:05 AM
RE: This Was a Triumph
Always nice to see someone who happily became an atheist. In this case it was clearly the better option and it made the person a lot happier. So well done! Big Grin

Also, Huzzah! for the Portal-reference.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Tim_Kiebooms's post
29-04-2011, 05:17 AM
This is a great story but I have a question. Do you notice that when Atheists try and debate or even preach their word it's a bad thing and is wrong in a high percentage of peoples eyes? They think it's wrong to not believe in a god and get upset. They act like were condemning them to their hell with our words. I find it ridiculous that it's okay for them to preach their gospels and other useless stories but when it's the other way around it's a huge problem. Especially in America because it's then seen as Atheists trying to destroy Christianity and push it out of the country. Funny thing is though I can get into a car and drive down the road and spot 10 churches within 2-3 miles. In all honesty it doesn't even seem possible to push out Christianity in America.

One more thing, Christians have a fit when Muslims try to build more then one mosque in an area but yet it's okay to have 100 Christian churches in that same area? I think not and although I don't support any religion just the 1st Amendment, I believe that any faith should have the right to build their temples, mosques, or churches anywhere they please. I'm seriously fed up with religion because it's just aggravating, useless, and stupefies our children and adults in my opinion!
Find all posts by this user
29-04-2011, 09:42 AM
That's a touching story. while the idea of a magic sky daddy that loves might be comforting in some of your darkest hours, it's really not for the best. At the risk of being labeled a communist and exiled, I think Marx was right when he said that religion is like a drug. Sure, you can get high and forget about your problem, and it'll be great for a while, but in the long run, getting away from all the pointless rules and lies is what is best. He no longer sits there, waiting for god to make his life okay, and blaming himself, the way he was born, for when nothing happens. A great example of when atheism(or at least a lack of religion) provides a happier life than Christianity.

(29-04-2011 05:17 AM)Snuff Wrote:  This is a great story but I have a question. Do you notice that when Atheists try and debate or even preach their word it's a bad thing and is wrong in a high percentage of peoples eyes? They think it's wrong to not believe in a god and get upset. They act like were condemning them to their hell with our words. I find it ridiculous that it's okay for them to preach their gospels and other useless stories but when it's the other way around it's a huge problem. Especially in America because it's then seen as Atheists trying to destroy Christianity and push it out of the country. Funny thing is though I can get into a car and drive down the road and spot 10 churches within 2-3 miles. In all honesty it doesn't even seem possible to push out Christianity in America.

One more thing, Christians have a fit when Muslims try to build more then one mosque in an area but yet it's okay to have 100 Christian churches in that same area? I think not and although I don't support any religion just the 1st Amendment, I believe that any faith should have the right to build their temples, mosques, or churches anywhere they please. I'm seriously fed up with religion because it's just aggravating, useless, and stupefies our children and adults in my opinion!

Christians somehow got it in their head that they have special rights. If a Muslim prayer is unacceptable at school boards, then a Christian prayer should be just as unacceptable.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
[+] 1 user Likes ashley.hunt60's post
29-04-2011, 12:30 PM
(29-04-2011 05:17 AM)Snuff Wrote:  This is a great story but I have a question. Do you notice that when Atheists try and debate or even preach their word it's a bad thing and is wrong in a high percentage of peoples eyes? They think it's wrong to not believe in a god and get upset. They act like were condemning them to their hell with our words. I find it ridiculous that it's okay for them to preach their gospels and other useless stories but when it's the other way around it's a huge problem. Especially in America because it's then seen as Atheists trying to destroy Christianity and push it out of the country. Funny thing is though I can get into a car and drive down the road and spot 10 churches within 2-3 miles. In all honesty it doesn't even seem possible to push out Christianity in America.

I find it ridiculous too. Christianity promotes preaching and converting and all that but the minute anyone else trys to point their beliefs out to a Christian (even in a reasoned debate), its suddenly terrible that they would try and 'force' their beliefs on some else. I find it particularly frustrating as my family are all Christian and my Mum, Sister and Grandma all have this attitude. A Christian preaching is a positive thing, someone 'passing on the word of God'. Whereas an atheist having a fair, two-way debate with a Christian is terrible, 'people should be left to believed whatever they want without question' and 'what right do you have to interfere with someone elses beliefs' suddenly come into play (only utilised against the atheist) as well as the classic term 'aggressive secularism' (put basically this is a term used by people who believe that Christians must spread the word of God and other people can be secular but must never promote it in anyway).
30-04-2011, 03:31 AM

^_^ glad you shared that, (Im who wrote the letter XD ) the only comment i would say is even in my darkest hour... i still didn't "feel better" the entire time i was in that mindset all i was thinking about was "oh i am this horrible person to "God" Thou with kat it was never about preaching to one side or the other, it was more about two people getting together and sharing thoughts on life, to which most of it centered around religion and homosexuality... which to be honest this whole message board has been a help to my thirst for knowledge, and a rare place online where you can come across conversations between two different ideas, and be able to maintain a conversation and not an argument <3 everyone here

and special love to kat
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like malikai's post
30-04-2011, 05:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ljFaKRTrI

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
[+] 1 user Likes daemonowner's post
30-04-2011, 02:58 PM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2011 05:59 AM by Observer.)
You've just won the...
Positive atheism award!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=151]
The positive atheism award is given to the poster of a tread that proves atheism is a positive way of living. Your reputation was given a +1. Congratulations!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post
30-04-2011, 08:58 PM

Well done! It's a beautiful thing to see someone claim their inner strength and live their truth. And it's inspiring to know you helped. (HUGS) Congratulations! Smile
Quote this message in a reply
30-04-2011, 10:26 PM
Don't you love a happy ending?

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.