This Will Never Work...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-05-2013, 08:21 AM
This Will Never Work...
...they said. But it works quite nicely.

Imagine that... they're not even killing each other.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2013, 08:56 AM
RE: This Will Never Work...
This is great, but I fear it wouldn't work that well in a big city, I hope this spreads and proves me wrong though

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
Find all posts by this user
10-05-2013, 08:58 AM
(10-05-2013 08:56 AM)nach_in Wrote:  This is great, but I fear it wouldn't work that well in a big city, I hope this spreads and proves me wrong though

What is it about the system, or about big cities (or the people in them) that causes you to think this wouldn't work on a larger scale?

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
10-05-2013, 09:09 AM
(10-05-2013 08:58 AM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(10-05-2013 08:56 AM)nach_in Wrote:  This is great, but I fear it wouldn't work that well in a big city, I hope this spreads and proves me wrong though

What is it about the system, or about big cities (or the people in them) that causes you to think this wouldn't work on a larger scale?

Too many people, a high population density makes for a high density in traffic and pedestrians, if the crossings are not big enough (and they should be huge for a high density area) they would just clog making it look like in the old clip in the video. That would be quite dangerous and impractical.
I'm no expert in urbanism or anything like it, so I may be very very wrong, but I'm sceptical Undecided

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
10-05-2013, 09:22 AM
(10-05-2013 09:09 AM)nach_in Wrote:  
(10-05-2013 08:58 AM)bbeljefe Wrote:  What is it about the system, or about big cities (or the people in them) that causes you to think this wouldn't work on a larger scale?

Too many people, a high population density makes for a high density in traffic and pedestrians, if the crossings are not big enough (and they should be huge for a high density area) they would just clog making it look like in the old clip in the video. That would be quite dangerous and impractical.
I'm no expert in urbanism or anything like it, so I may be very very wrong, but I'm sceptical Undecided

That's interesting. Thanks.

10-05-2013, 11:42 AM
Rainbow RE: This Will Never Work...
Of course it would work in a country where people drink tea with their pinky finger in the air.

It would be a catastrophe waiting to happen somewhere like Detroit, Toronto, Montreal or NYC.

. . . all the gods were stories we told the children to make them behave. ~ Thoros of Myr (Game of Thrones, Episode 3:06)
[+] 3 users Like Scully's post
10-05-2013, 12:00 PM
(10-05-2013 11:42 AM)Scully Wrote:  Of course it would work in a country where people drink tea with their pinky finger in the air.

You mean America? But then you listed Detroit and NYC... Only Americans think floating pinkies is fancy.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
10-05-2013, 12:31 PM
I recall seeing an experiment (successful) along these lines around 20 years ago... in Holland or Belgium or somewhere equally as progressive.
I have often wondered why the idea didn't take off.
If for no other reason than it it's so cheap to implement and manage.

Ah well.

10-05-2013, 01:37 PM
(10-05-2013 12:00 PM)Elesjei Wrote:  
(10-05-2013 11:42 AM)Scully Wrote:  Of course it would work in a country where people drink tea with their pinky finger in the air.

You mean America? But then you listed Detroit and NYC... Only Americans think floating pinkies is fancy.

I didn't say "fancy". I was kinda going for "bound by decorum". Big Grin

. . . all the gods were stories we told the children to make them behave. ~ Thoros of Myr (Game of Thrones, Episode 3:06)
10-05-2013, 01:47 PM
Would not work in NC. On my commute I go thru a very simple traffic circle twice a day. It's one lane, in a high traffic area of a residential neighborhood (so no big trucks, no pedestrians). It has a garden in the center..nice and big. Most every car stops as they approach it. Even though the big sign in front of their face is a yield sign, probably 95% of them stop. Pisses me off daily.
The drivers here can't get the concept of 'just go', which is odd considering this is the birthplace of NASCAR, LOL. Take away the curbs, signals, signs it would be a mess.

Although it is much better than last year when my commute required me to go thru 3 circles 4 times a day. Thought I was going to have a stroke yelling everyday at the idiots.

pray in one hand and spit in the other, see which hand fills up first.