This ad has me thinking.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2011, 04:58 PM

This ad has me thinking.
This just seems wrong in some way. Has anyone else seen this ad while browsing?

It brings me back to the misconception that you dont see atheist's in fox holes. Theres many other things that rub me the wrong way about this but lets hear what you guys think.

.bmp  New Bitmap Image.bmp (Size: 297.87 KB / Downloads: 70)

* I dont know how to add an image Tongue if anyone does please just ad this in your reply so people dont have to D/L it.
Quote this message in a reply
30-08-2011, 05:34 PM
RE: This ad has me thinking.
I think it all falls back to a quote (signature) that I've seen here many times. It says something to the effect of ...
" Religion; Fools believe it, Philosophers study it, world leaders depend on it."

This is not an exact quote, I only remember the 3rd part correctly, I'm sure the first 2 parts are misquotes. But it is something to this effect. I wish I could remember who uses it here, I'd find it and quote it exactly.

Oxymoron: "Religious teaching"
"Simple common sense goes out the window when religion comes in through the door." Me (Blasphemy Fan )
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-08-2011, 06:08 PM
The American military has been strangely taken over by religion. Strikes me as very odd and un-American.

“There is no sin except stupidity.” Oscar Wilde
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-08-2011, 06:47 PM
I believe all militaries have always depended on religion for allegiance.

It gives them some "purpose" for fighting, when there really is no purpose. I'm not saying that of OUR military, just historic militaries in general.

Oxymoron: "Religious teaching"
"Simple common sense goes out the window when religion comes in through the door." Me (Blasphemy Fan )
30-08-2011, 07:06 PM

Theres so many things wrong with that ad. One big thing is the hipocracy they cant understand how someone would want to Jihad us over religious beliefs but they are fine joining a military because of religion.
Quote this message in a reply
30-08-2011, 07:22 PM
Back when the U.S. had the draft, seminary students, clergymen and religious conscientious objectors could weasel out of military service. Atheists didn't have those options.
30-08-2011, 09:48 PM
Atheists can be conscientious objectors, in fact during the 'draft' days some recruiters would not allow atheists in the military in the first place!

There are many atheists in the military these days, although we have a large number of your flag waving Jesus saving types, we have just as many non-nationalistic atheists... the American military is just as diverse the country it serves.

Don't think for a half second that the military is a heavily religious organization. To be honest it's more accepting of atheists and the like then any other organization in the United States.

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
31-08-2011, 04:44 AM
On the face of it any Christian should be a conscientious objector. After all the military is there to enforce the will of it's nation and that sometimes entails the killing of people.
I think there was a commandment about killing people. Maybe theres a sub-clause I missed.