This being the only life can be depressing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-10-2016, 08:34 AM
RE: This being the only life can be depressing
(24-10-2016 01:30 AM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  Some people would think that this being the only life gives far more value than the idea of living on for eternity in a blissful afterlife. But, for me, it is about the context as well

I am not detecting the "unhealthy atheism" here. Good human, very good human!

Heart Thumbsup

P.S. Very good to have the kids with.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-10-2016, 08:35 AM (This post was last modified: 24-10-2016 09:01 PM by Chas.)
(24-10-2016 01:30 AM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  Some people would think that this being the only life gives far more value than the idea of living on for eternity in a blissful afterlife. But, for me, it is about the context as well.

As long as this life is put within a negative context which is the idea that we will suffer much hardship and then forever decay when we die with no eternal happy ending, then that negative context has a negative effect on the value this life has for me.

I am not saying this to be childish, spoiled, or narcissist. I just find that this context has a negative effect on the value of this life and I am unable to live this life out of context. That is, I am unable to just focus on this life I have, enjoy it, and ignore that negative context of suffering here on Earth just to forever decay in the end.

However, if this life were put within the positive context of there being a happy ending (an eternal blissful afterlife where our beloved ones don't have to be gone forever), then I would find that to have an immense positive effect on the value of this life I have.

People who just focus on this life and value it as it is are living this life out of context. They are not focused at all on whether there is or is not the afterlife. They don't care if they forever rot and decay and neither do they care if there is an eternal blissful afterlife.

But for me, it is all about the context. The context has an impact on the value of this life I have and the relationship I have with my family, my hobbies, etc.

You are wasting your life. The only context is this life; your only life.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
24-10-2016, 08:43 AM
(24-10-2016 08:34 AM)theBorg Wrote:  
(24-10-2016 01:30 AM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  Some people would think that this being the only life gives far more value than the idea of living on for eternity in a blissful afterlife. But, for me, it is about the context as well

I am not detecting the "unhealthy atheism" here. Good human, very good human!

Heart Thumbsup

You're an idiot. Just because someone is afraid of death doesn't make an afterlife true and it certainly isn't evidence of an afterlife.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 4 users Like dancefortwo's post
24-10-2016, 08:49 AM (This post was last modified: 24-10-2016 08:57 AM by theBorg.)
(24-10-2016 08:43 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(24-10-2016 08:34 AM)theBorg Wrote:  I am not detecting the "unhealthy atheism" here. Good human, very good human!

Heart Thumbsup

You're an idiot. Just because someone is afraid of death doesn't make an afterlife true and it certainly isn't evidence of an afterlife.

1) Please do not rush with conclusions. Heart
2) If the afterlife exists, then it is indifferent does a (militant) atheist know about it or not. Let him do what ever makes him happy. Laugh out load
24-10-2016, 08:58 AM
(24-10-2016 01:30 AM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  Some people would think that this being the only life gives far more value than the idea of living on for eternity in a blissful afterlife. But, for me, it is about the context as well.

As long as this life is put within a negative context which is the idea that we will suffer much hardship and then forever decay when we die with no eternal happy ending, then that negative context has a negative effect on the value this life has for me.

I am not saying this to be childish, spoiled, or narcissist. I just find that this context has a negative effect on the value of this life and I am unable to live this life out of context. That is, I am unable to just focus on this life I have, enjoy it, and ignore that negative context of suffering here on Earth just to forever decay in the end.

However, if this life were put within the positive context of there being a happy ending (an eternal blissful afterlife where our beloved ones don't have to be gone forever), then I would find that to have an immense positive effect on the value of this life I have.

People who just focus on this life and value it as it is are living this life out of context. They are not focused at all on whether there is or is not the afterlife. They don't care if they forever rot and decay and neither do they care if there is an eternal blissful afterlife.

But for me, it is all about the context. The context has an impact on the value of this life I have and the relationship I have with my family, my hobbies, etc.
Look at it this way. There is no way you will ever go to hell since it doesn't exist. Now if that isn't cause for celebration, what is?

Additionally, you won't spend eternity in heaven on your knees kissing some god's ass either, drunk with happiness like an addict high on drugs.

Also, there is so much I now do differently because I am no longer preparing for an afterlife. The time I have with my family now is the only time I'll ever get. No more taking eternity for granted. Anything worth doing must be done now which also means I get to enjoy those things now and don't have to wait. Without religion or an afterlife, life is better. Much better.

Finally, I disagree with your "context". That context is based on the old fairy tale so it was never real and therefore still isn't. Believing in an afterlife is what's really out of context.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
24-10-2016, 08:59 AM
(24-10-2016 08:49 AM)theBorg Wrote:  
(24-10-2016 08:43 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  You're an idiot. Just because someone is afraid of death doesn't make an afterlife true and it certainly isn't evidence of an afterlife.

1) Please do not rush with conclusions. Heart
2) If the afterlife exists, then it is indifferent does an "unhealthy atheist" know about it or not. Let him do what ever makes him happy. Laugh out load

It would make a lot of people happy to believe in sparkly unicorns and Leprechauns but that doesn't make them real.

You're so delusional you can't write a normal sentence.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
24-10-2016, 09:08 AM
(24-10-2016 08:58 AM)Impulse Wrote:  .......
Finally, I disagree with your "context". That context is based on the old fairy tale so it was never real and therefore still isn't. Believing in an afterlife is what's really out of context.

There are many days ahead (probably), so there can be a change in attitude. This atheistic human could become the True Christian. Look, what happens to (militant) atheists:
https://youtu.be/Hjb7ieGy2lg
24-10-2016, 09:14 AM
(24-10-2016 08:43 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(24-10-2016 08:34 AM)theBorg Wrote:  I am not detecting the "unhealthy atheism" here. Good human, very good human!

Heart Thumbsup

Agreed. If anything, it is evidence that fear of death could cause people to make up stories of an afterlife to soothe that fear.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
24-10-2016, 09:19 AM
(24-10-2016 09:08 AM)theBorg Wrote:  
(24-10-2016 08:58 AM)Impulse Wrote:  .......

There are many days ahead (probably), so there can be a change in attitude. This atheistic human could become the True Christian. Look, what happens to (militant) atheists:
https://youtu.be/Hjb7ieGy2lg

Piss off, you delusional twat.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
24-10-2016, 09:20 AM
What if Jesus Christ does not want to be "proven" to his haters yet? I mean, he has not come to the authorities after the Cross. :-)