This being the only life can be depressing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-10-2016, 06:14 PM
RE: This being the only life can be depressing
So you don't find joy in any finite activity ?
A good long hot shower, sex, great wine or a cold beer, a fantastic meal, holding hands, having your child or grandchild fall asleep in your arms. None of these finite activities gives you any pleasure unless you have a delusional afterlife going on in your head ?

I treasure the finite. I don't want to take a shower for eternity. I don't want never ending sex.

Good books have a beginning, a middle and an end.
My life is a good book. I treasure it.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
24-10-2016, 06:41 PM
(24-10-2016 06:14 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  So you don't find joy in any finite activity ?
A good long hot shower, sex, great wine or a cold beer, a fantastic meal, holding hands, having your child or grandchild fall asleep in your arms. None of these finite activities gives you any pleasure unless you have a delusional afterlife going on in your head ?

I treasure the finite. I don't want to take a shower for eternity. I don't want never ending sex.

Good books have a beginning, a middle and an end.
My life is a good book. I treasure it.

It's in our human nature for us to not want to die. At least, that applies to some people. But not everyone. Some people don't want to live forever. But when our human nature is not fulfilled, that will likely cause us depression and to perceive less value in things.
24-10-2016, 07:50 PM
Smells like MozartLink up in this bitch.

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
24-10-2016, 07:52 PM (This post was last modified: 24-10-2016 08:20 PM by SuperMarioGamer.)
(24-10-2016 07:50 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Smells like MozartLink up in this bitch.

At least I am not offensive like he is though. He was a pestering member. His foul odor was that of a rancid sock seeping out all over this forum. But you and the moderators here are the scent of a purifying essence that knocked him right out.
24-10-2016, 08:32 PM
(24-10-2016 01:30 AM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  As long as this life is put within a negative context which is the idea that we will suffer much hardship and then forever decay when we die with no eternal happy ending, then that negative context has a negative effect on the value this life has for me.
That is, I am unable to just focus on this life I have, enjoy it, and ignore that negative context of suffering here on Earth just to forever decay in the end.
They don't care if they forever rot and decay and neither do they care if there is an eternal blissful afterlife.

I personally can't relate to the pessimistic view of life you seem to have. For example, you say after all of this we "rot" and "decay", but that's only looking at it from one angle. Remember, our bodies are composed of matter and energy. When we "rot", the matter and energy in our bodies isn't being destroyed, it's just transforming into something new. Hopefully, you can be buried, not cremated and your energy can be released back into nature.

You say "as long as this life is put in a negative context". I'm not sure what you mean, but I think there is far more beauty in the world than ugliness. I don't view the world in a negative context. It is a massive, complex, intricate machine that we are allowed to observe. I too wish that we could live happily ever after, but our universe doesn't allow for that and we just have to accept our finite life as part of its nature.

Until then, you can always dream, maybe to soften the pain a little bit. Perhaps our essence never truly dies. We live on in the memories of others, and the energy that we are composed of will continue to exist and traverse the world long after our consciousness has gone. Some science-fiction can tell you that our universe may be infinite, via Big Crunch or multiverse, and if so, you won't remain deceased for long. Just remember that these are only things you can hope for. Allow them to alleviate the pain when it becomes to much to bear, but don't rely on them to live your life to the fullest.

I've certainly overstepped my boundaries in this post, but I hope I could have been of some help. Good luck.
24-10-2016, 08:57 PM
(24-10-2016 07:52 PM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  
(24-10-2016 07:50 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Smells like MozartLink up in this bitch.

At least I am not offensive like he is though. He was a pestering member. His foul odor was that of a rancid sock seeping out all over this forum. But you and the moderators here are the scent of a purifying essence that knocked him right out.

Given that you joined over 2 years after he was banned, I'd say the above strikes me as suspicious as hell.

[+] 4 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
24-10-2016, 09:07 PM
(24-10-2016 08:57 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(24-10-2016 07:52 PM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  At least I am not offensive like he is though. He was a pestering member. His foul odor was that of a rancid sock seeping out all over this forum. But you and the moderators here are the scent of a purifying essence that knocked him right out.

Given that you joined over 2 years after he was banned, I'd say the above strikes me as suspicious as hell.

I think a lot of people feel depressed about this being the only life. That's not something only unique to that member.
24-10-2016, 09:19 PM
(24-10-2016 09:07 PM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  
(24-10-2016 08:57 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Given that you joined over 2 years after he was banned, I'd say the above strikes me as suspicious as hell.

I think a lot of people feel depressed about this being the only life. That's not something only unique to that member.

Not my point in the slightest.

24-10-2016, 09:32 PM
(24-10-2016 09:19 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(24-10-2016 09:07 PM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  I think a lot of people feel depressed about this being the only life. That's not something only unique to that member.

Not my point in the slightest.

You grew suspicious because after he was banned, I joined two years later and started a topic here that bears a little bit of resemblance to the types of topics he makes. But I am here pointing out that there are a lot of people out there who feel depressed about this being the only life.
24-10-2016, 09:40 PM
(24-10-2016 09:32 PM)SuperMarioGamer Wrote:  
(24-10-2016 09:19 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Not my point in the slightest.

You grew suspicious because after he was banned, I joined two years later and started a topic here that bears a little bit of resemblance to the types of topics he makes. But I am here pointing out that there are a lot of people out there who feel depressed about this being the only life.
I'm suspicious because you both have names of Nintendo characters, you both make topics that are similar, you talk VERY similar to him, and you listen to others about as well as him. Mostly because even though he hasn't posted here in over two years and you just joined you knew EXACTLY who he was, how he operated, and what his views/feelings are two minutes after I posted his name.

Which I find suspicious as shit.

[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post