This book people are trying to get me to read

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
06-04-2010, 05:46 AM
This book people are trying to get me to read
Some of my christian friends are trying to get me to read a book called, "I don't have enough faith to be an atheist." I can tell by the title it is not exactly factual when atheist, like me, only believe in evidence and facts rather then speculation and wild imagenings. Do you all know anything about this book?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2010, 06:45 AM
RE: This book people are trying to get me to read
Not much, except that a lot of people are trying to get me to read it, too.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-04-2010, 07:40 AM
I haven't read it or know anyone who has, although it will probably be recommended to me soon. I have heard of it.

Seeing as how 2 of the 10 quotes from the inside of the book (check it on Amazon) come from Lee Strobel and Josh McDowell, leaders of the same old tired apologetics, it's probably just rehashes of old arguments and misrepresentations of non-theist positions. Of course that's just my knee jerk reaction.

If you're up for it, read it. It might give you the opportunity to point out its flaws to some of these friends of yours.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
06-04-2010, 07:59 AM

Hmmmm...interesting...I googled it and I think I'm actually gonna read it. If I'm a true atheist, it shouldn't change the way I think. Besides, I love to read and maybe I'll get some good arguments and some laughs too xD
Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2010, 10:29 AM

Kyle Williams 'defrocks' the book at the following link:
http://www.bringyou.to/apologetics/p98.htm

Save your money.
06-04-2010, 01:13 PM

(06-04-2010 10:29 AM)supermanlives1973 Wrote:  Kyle Williams 'defrocks' the book at the following link:

Save your money.

Thanks, it's awesome, but couldn't read it to the end. I think it's too much for me and I'm loosing my mind. xD
06-04-2010, 01:48 PM

(06-04-2010 10:29 AM)supermanlives1973 Wrote:  Kyle Williams 'defrocks' the book at the following link:

Save your money.

Thank you, "supermanlives1973!" I'm really enjoying this article. Kyle Williams seems to be able to cut through rhetorical nonsense like a hot knife through butter. Tongue
06-04-2010, 06:37 PM
Martin needs to read the first part(From Super's link).

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
06-04-2010, 07:55 PM

I read the entire thing today (had to take it in parts). At the end of it, all I could think was 'this is the reason I am an Atheist'.

It doesn't help that the book actually insults Atheism in a few areas. If it is meant to re/convert Atheists to theism, it does a piss-poor job of it (at least as Kyle has explained it).

Ironically, though, if you look at the home page, the reply is posted on an Evangelical Catholic Apologetics site. Strange.
07-04-2010, 12:53 PM
I'm still working my way through Kyle Williams' rebuttal, which seems to be quite thoughtful and interesting. But I came across J.P. Holding's rebuttal to Williams' rebuttal, which is in the same dialogue format.

Most importantly though, Holding's rebuttal seems to be full of mockery and insults, just like a good Christian rebuttal should be. Maybe I'm being too sensitive. At least the beginning of it is quite condescending.

http://tektoonics.tektonics.org/etc/paro...heist.html

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.