This could be fun

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-08-2016, 06:55 AM
This could be fun
I graduated college after 5 long years and now I am back home. I have been stuck working for my very religious bipolar narcissistic father. He is a chiropractor who only like alternative medicine so he won't get treated. I hate dealing with him but sometimes you have to do things you hate. One of the jobs I do(he ran away the other employee again so I'm doing everything in the office) is right a bible verse on a board. As a in the closet atheist I have hated it but I had thought. What if I put up subversive verses. My first was Hebrews 11:6. It's about why you have to have faith. This may be my one joy while I work for him. I will have a new job soon but until then do any of you have undercover atheist bible verses?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-08-2016, 10:21 AM
RE: This could be fun
the ones concerning how to beat your slave would be good.
16-08-2016, 10:27 AM
Hmm that's a tuff one.

I'm all for freedom of expression, but I also feel that if you're offering public service you shouldn't push your faith on anyone.

If you've already got another job lined up, then perhaps that final week you could write the more unsavory passages .But this is your father. How close to him or how far you want to push him away is going to have to be your call.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
16-08-2016, 11:37 AM
I wouldn't do it. I mean to be honest, dealing with parents who are religious a lot of times feels like dealing with children, except these are children that are likely never to grow up. I'd just suck it up and be the bigger person and write his stupid verses on the board and then go get your freedom.
16-08-2016, 01:37 PM
I don't mean anything obviously antagonist to Christians. The Hebrews 11:6, "And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him." It more tongue in check than obviously antichristian.
I won't stay working for him for much longer and unless shit blows up I won't tell my family until after I have a stable income and an apartment. That won't be for a while but I can survive. I live with me mother and she is very Christian but she doesn't push.
When I tell him it will be over the phone and it will be when I cut all ties to him. Most people can only last a few months in his presence, I have made it years. Plan on typing out my resignation once I'm stable but for now the little things are my only joy when I'm around him.
16-08-2016, 02:08 PM
(16-08-2016 01:37 PM)Beteljuice01 Wrote:  I don't mean anything obviously antagonist to Christians. The Hebrews 11:6, "And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him." It more tongue in check than obviously antichristian.
I won't stay working for him for much longer and unless shit blows up I won't tell my family until after I have a stable income and an apartment. That won't be for a while but I can survive. I live with me mother and she is very Christian but she doesn't push.
When I tell him it will be over the phone and it will be when I cut all ties to him. Most people can only last a few months in his presence, I have made it years. Plan on typing out my resignation once I'm stable but for now the little things are my only joy when I'm around him.

Beteljuice,

It seems you are in a tough spot, and I'm sure you know that.

Being closely around someone we can't feel for is a very cold experience, I sadly had this with my own father. Maybe, once you have been away and have independence things will look a bit different?

My father has been dead for 20 years, but I still wish I could have sorted something with him back then, even some honesty. But this thread is not about me.

Good luck whatever happens, and good thoughts to you.

D.
16-08-2016, 04:52 PM (This post was last modified: 16-08-2016 04:55 PM by Leerob.)
You know you can just use very neutral bible verses instead, so there won't be reason for your father to be suspicious if you wish to not tell him that you are atheist.
There are many.

Otherwise, because I am having fun imagining that stuff actually being written on that bord for patients to come in and be like "What the actual fuck?!" here a few things I found (obviously don't use them if you want to stay out of trouble):

Genesis 10.1 - 10.19
All of I Kings 4
Nehemia 10:1 - 10:27

II Kinds 8:24
Jehoram slept with his fathers and was buried with in the city of David.

Song of Solomon 1:5
I am so black; but lovely and pleasant.

Isaiah 46:12
Listen to me, you stiff-hearted...
(and just stop there without writing the rest )

Lamentations 1:1
How lonely and solitary sits the city that was full of people!

Ezekiel 21:17
I will also clap my hands, and I will cause my Wrath to rest!

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
16-08-2016, 05:02 PM
You could do a while series on the preoccupation with circumcision and foreskins

Joshua 5:3
And Joshua made him sharp knives, and circumcised the children of Israel at the hill of the foreskins.

or maybe go scatalogical...

Ezekiel 4:12
And thou shalt eat it as barley cakes, and thou shalt bake it with dung that cometh out of man, in their sight.

Isaiah 36:12
But Rabshakeh said, Has my master sent me to your master and to you to speak these words? has he not sent me to the men that sit on the wall, that they may eat their own dung, and drink their own urine with you?

1 Samuel 25:22
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that [pertain] to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post