This forum/ podcast helped me so much today

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2014, 09:36 PM
This forum/ podcast helped me so much today
I had a conversation with my wife's friend today. She is a real believer ... Like Gandhi is in hell type but hitler may be In Heaven. I kept asking her questions I've learned from this site and from the podcast. She believes that Anything that went against her "god is love" idea was put into the bible by fallible people. Basically, she believes in the convenient parts of the bible It was just so typical and shallow. I asked her about the reading in Timothy about women remaining silent- she told me god didn't put that it, people did On and on ...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-05-2014, 10:52 PM
RE: This forum/ podcast helped me so much today
Did you ask her what her standard is for deciding what god put there, and men put there, and where did that standard originate from ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Political skeptic .. if there is a bad reason something bad might have happened, you can bet your ass, that's why it happened.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
25-05-2014, 05:37 AM
That is a perfect question
25-05-2014, 07:18 AM
Supplementary to Bucky's question...

Why does everyone else have a different standard?

Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
25-05-2014, 07:40 AM (This post was last modified: 25-05-2014 07:45 AM by Hafnof.)
Or...
We are made in the image of God[1]. We don't think that means a physical image of God. We think this means that we have something in common with God in terms of intellect and morality.

However, the morality God expresses with old testament command of rape and genocide... and the morality implicitly expressed in his rules that grant Hitler access to Heaven while placing Gandhi in hell... well this seems difficult to understand. This godly morality seems so alien to us that if it is genuinely the morality of a perfect God then it seems impossible to understand how it could seem so alien while we at the same time are apparently made in his moral image.

Moreover, God seems hell bent on consigning me to eternal torture for noting this discrepancy. Doesn't that seem strange?

[1] http://biblehub.com/genesis/1-27.htm

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
25-05-2014, 07:51 AM
Then this becomes a problem. You should have asked which parts were written by god and which ones weren't. If only the god parts are god than ask why would he let fallible man write what he wants in it. Also ask how she knows that part was written by god and what evidence she has to prove this claim.

[Image: hyena_icon_large_by_griffsnuff-d3juy9l.gif] All request for metazoa info and my larger projects should be sent PM
25-05-2014, 04:08 PM
Thanks. She's actually not very bright and says "I don't know why god does what he does but it's not my place to question"
25-05-2014, 04:13 PM
(25-05-2014 04:08 PM)Chrisinfp Wrote:  Thanks. She's actually not very bright and says "I don't know why god does what he does but it's not my place to question"

Ask her how she can be sincere in her belief if she doesn't know why she believes.
26-05-2014, 03:46 AM
When people make claim that the bible cannot be taken literally is when I get the most upset. I call it double picking. They discredit their entire belief system and then cherry pick the parts that ARE suppose to be taken literally based on what they think is good.

It really pisses me off the most, because its the most arrogant, condescending, retarded thing a person can ever do. What that friend of your wife just did is Double Picking and its the WORST possible logical fallacy. Its a combination of many of them at once and makes anyone who uses it completely immune to being told they are wrong.

Why? Because they are hiding behind multiple fallacies at once as WELL as being too retarded to understand basic common sense.

"We are all born Atheists, everyone of us. We are born without the Shackles of theism arresting our minds. It is not until we are poisoned by the fears and delusions of others that we become trapped in the psychopathic and immoral dream world of theism."

- Jesse T. Chenoweth
04-07-2014, 06:04 PM
(26-05-2014 03:46 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  When people make claim that the bible cannot be taken literally is when I get the most upset. I call it double picking. They discredit their entire belief system and then cherry pick the parts that ARE suppose to be taken literally based on what they think is good.

It really pisses me off the most, because its the most arrogant, condescending, retarded thing a person can ever do. What that friend of your wife just did is Double Picking and its the WORST possible logical fallacy. Its a combination of many of them at once and makes anyone who uses it completely immune to being told they are wrong.

Why? Because they are hiding behind multiple fallacies at once as WELL as being too retarded to understand basic common sense.

I'm willing to bet some Christians look at the story of Adam and Eve as myth or parable, but would they understand that if it is, it invalidates the core purpose of Jesus' existence?
I'm sure the thought would never occur to them......

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Wink a conversation today at work goodwithoutgod 7 77 Yesterday 03:46 PM
Last Post: Momsurroundedbyboys
  A fun "religion" from another forum Cake 15 592 14-09-2013 08:26 PM
Last Post: Jeffasaurus
  A thread about atheism on another forum amyb 4 462 09-05-2013 08:06 PM
Last Post: amyb
  The letter from last podcast? Chrisinfp 5 382 24-03-2013 07:36 AM
Last Post: raoul116