This got in my Twitter feed today....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2017, 09:10 AM
https://twitter.com/CSLewisDaily/status/...8862984192

“Atheism turns out to be too simple. If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning."

And Christians think this guy is a genius? What a load of shit. And the replies in the feed are priceless.

Smfh.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post
10-08-2017, 09:15 AM
RE: This got in my Twitter feed today....
Ah. Apparently the Twit in question never heard of crafting one's own meaning, and values cozy feelings over truth.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Astreja's post
10-08-2017, 09:16 AM
CS Lewis is a fantasy/sci-fi writer. And that's all his religious writings are, even if he mean them to be more. Actually, imo, they are even lesser, because he wrote some as allegories as if they carried some deep meaning.

Also, these idiots think realizing that there's no god means that life is suddenly meaningless when most theists don't actually live their lives "for" their god. They don't live in service to that god, they don't do everything they do to "honor god" or whatever... most live their lives for the same reasons we do- finding meaning in their family, their friends, their loved ones, their experiences, things they enjoy doing, etc. Most give their lives their own meaning the same way we do. Very few derive actual real meaning from their god.
[+] 7 users Like Emma's post
10-08-2017, 09:21 AM
(10-08-2017 09:10 AM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  https://twitter.com/CSLewisDaily/status/...8862984192

“Atheism turns out to be too simple. If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning."

And Christians think this guy is a genius? What a load of shit. And the replies in the feed are priceless.

Smfh.

You’re spot on about the comments. Deep thinkers they are not. Probably why they are so impressed with the flaccid thinking of C.S. Lewis.
[+] 2 users Like Rachel's post
10-08-2017, 09:34 AM
I did like the one guy asking asking about leprechauns to the christian and the christian's response turns into "Stop picking on me!"
10-08-2017, 09:51 AM
(10-08-2017 09:10 AM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  ...
And the replies in the feed are priceless.

If I knew how to use Twitter I wouldn't be able to resist nudging this guy's paradigm...

Quote:One of my favorites! Probably the quote that shifted my paradigm

with ... So if you're paradigm shifted by conflating atheism with nihilism it shouldn't take more than a few seconds on Dictionary.com to shift it back again. Big Grin

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
10-08-2017, 11:08 AM
Believers sure are deep thinkers.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
10-08-2017, 11:17 AM
(10-08-2017 09:10 AM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  https://twitter.com/CSLewisDaily/status/...8862984192

Smfh.

If there is a god that is unknowable, no one could find out it was unknowable.

“I am not responsible for actions of the imaginary version of me you have inside your head.” - John Scalzi

[+] 4 users Like Norm Deplume's post
10-08-2017, 11:37 AM
(10-08-2017 09:16 AM)Emma Wrote:  Also, these idiots think realizing that there's no god means that life is suddenly meaningless when most theists don't actually live their lives "for" their god. They don't live in service to that god, they don't do everything they do to "honor god" or whatever... most live their lives for the same reasons we do- finding meaning in their family, their friends, their loved ones, their experiences, things they enjoy doing, etc. Most give their lives their own meaning the same way we do. Very few derive actual real meaning from their god.
Actually I'd say it's not MOST that live their lives for the same reasons we do -- it's ALL. It's just that quite a few wouldn't admit it, even to themselves. Because there IS no externally bestowed meaning and purpose. There's only the possibility to "find" tenets of religious faith as asserted to be attractive -- and that, itself, is finding / determining your own meaning. Particularly in that each person comes at these asserted Truths with their own interpretations and emphases and blind spots.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
10-08-2017, 12:01 PM
I read a fair amount of CS Lewis when I were a prat. He never really made sense to me - his religious crap. Was a dab hand at fantasy though. Knew how to write an exciting tale. Pity he wasted so much of his talent on religion, but I guess you can't pick and choose. Even some of his religious stuff is passable as fairy-tales. Screwtape letters in particular.

One thing I find ironic is that throughout his writing he's quite humble. Not just "giving the glory to God" faux-humble, but "I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about" humble. And now he gets cited as an authority by Christian "philosophers" - the same whom he refers to in his books as being way cleverer than him.

It's gloriously circular. An appropriate metaphor for Christian thinking everywhere Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post