This got in my Twitter feed today....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2017, 12:12 PM
RE: This got in my Twitter feed today....
(10-08-2017 09:16 AM)Emma Wrote:  CS Lewis is a fantasy/sci-fi writer. And that's all his religious writings are, even if he mean them to be more. Actually, imo, they are even lesser, because he wrote some as allegories as if they carried some deep meaning.

Also, these idiots think realizing that there's no god means that life is suddenly meaningless when most theists don't actually live their lives "for" their god. They don't live in service to that god, they don't do everything they do to "honor god" or whatever... most live their lives for the same reasons we do- finding meaning in their family, their friends, their loved ones, their experiences, things they enjoy doing, etc. Most give their lives their own meaning the same way we do. Very few derive actual real meaning from their god.

[Image: b6ef05717d1b7c3fc25ba0fa06cb6268--humor-...-memes.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2017, 12:28 PM
RE: This got in my Twitter feed today....
Paul in Romans assures us that from the beginning, God arbitrarily chooses who will be the elect and who will not, not dependent on our actions in any way. This is a major dogma in most large Christian denominations. The grace of God.

I have always wondered where the meaning of life stuff fits in here. What is the meaning of life if God arbitrarily decides Jane is of the elect but John is reprobate?

Life then is a meaningless, mysterious crap shoot. And of course, the Christians have no answer to that, except to parrot divine command theory.

Romans 8
28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.
31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?

When I shake my ignore file, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply