"This is What we Get When we Let Kids Have Kids."

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-05-2013, 10:26 PM
RE: "This is What we Get When we Let Kids Have Kids."
[Image: 56bc0392483a9587_y-teen-popup.xxxlarge.jpg]

Censored

I mean, I'm sure there are statistics, but to ASSUME it's INEVITABLE is not right. Teen parents need support and encouragement to be strong.

And it's powerful imagery to put a cute baby crying on here. It's going to elicit those "aww, poor baby" emotions/reactions.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2013, 10:39 PM
(11-05-2013 10:26 PM)Peanut Wrote:  [Image: 56bc0392483a9587_y-teen-popup.xxxlarge.jpg]

Censored

I mean, I'm sure there are statistics, but to ASSUME it's INEVITABLE is not right. Teen parents need support and encouragement to be strong.

And it's powerful imagery to put a cute baby crying on here. It's going to elicit those "aww, poor baby" emotions/reactions.

It is something that should be avoided. The fact that some teens can handle the responsibility does not alter this fact.. Now I am not calling you out Peanut, from everything I have seen here you seem like a great mother who has her priorities straight. If every teen was as responsible this would not be an issue but statistically teen mothers score towards the bottom of every measured category. So the fact that you are technically part of this group does not change the fact that you as an individual are an outlier and not representative of the group.

So go you for being awesome but the poster is still right.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
12-05-2013, 04:21 AM
I would not say this was the stupid mothers fault, but the cars problem in the first place. Back door should have child protection, so that the back doors can not be opened from inside, like in the police cars, I know, I've tried opening the back door of a police car from inside. Smile Also, the seatbelt she uses should be changed if the kid 18 months old can unbuckle it.

Now, this all makes sense if what she is saying is true, that means, if she put he seatbelt on a kid and if it all happened like she said, because there is a big probability she didn't strap the kid in a seat with a seatbelt. In this case, she is stupid and I feel sorry for the poor kid, growing up with such a mother. Also, she admits that she didn't engage the child safety locks. Stupid again.

So, what is true and what is false here...

Big Grin

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
12-05-2013, 06:45 AM
(12-05-2013 04:21 AM)Filox Wrote:  I would not say this was the stupid mothers fault, but the cars problem in the first place. Back door should have child protection, so that the back doors can not be opened from inside, like in the police cars, I know, I've tried opening the back door of a police car from inside. Smile Also, the seatbelt she uses should be changed if the kid 18 months old can unbuckle it.

Now, this all makes sense if what she is saying is true, that means, if she put he seatbelt on a kid and if it all happened like she said, because there is a big probability she didn't strap the kid in a seat with a seatbelt. In this case, she is stupid and I feel sorry for the poor kid, growing up with such a mother. Also, she admits that she didn't engage the child safety locks. Stupid again.

So, what is true and what is false here...

Big Grin

If you acknowledge that the car has child safety locks and that the mother didn't use them, how could you assert that the car manufacturer (you said car but I'm giving you the benefit of not anthropomorphizing a machine) is at fault for not installing child safety locks on the car?

Moreover, even if the car didn't have child safety locks, is it not the responsibility of a parent to ensure that the car he or she uses has these things? And that they are used?

Surely we can't fault an automobile manufacturer for not making sure a woman buys a vehicle with the features she needs.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-05-2013, 12:48 PM
I think the problems with the pic that Peanut posted is that it doesn't help. In order to help younger people NOT have unwanted/unplanned children, you need to provide education, make them feel comfortable talking about sex, and hopefully also give them access to birth control.

The poster seems to me to have the affect of stigmatizing mothers who ALREADY have children more than addressing the problem of things like not enough access to birth control. Sure, it's also to discourage kids from having babies, but I think it probably mostly just stigmatizes teen parents who are already stigmatized plenty, by suggesting they are irresponsible (I would prefer a message telling them they'll need to be more responsible in the future rather than telling them they're irresponsible). Some might be, but I don't think it's helpful. A more helpful poster, in my mind, would be something with websites and organizations to contact to get birth control or help if they are pregnant, rather than this.

I agree with revenant that "it is something to be avoided," but I think the way to encourage people to avoid it is not a photo of a crying baby, that's all. When I was 16 or so, the school told us we could get free birth control at family planning. They also gave free condoms at the nurse's office. I walked to the clinic one day and got Norplant, which lasts 5 years, for free. Sure, lots of people i know still got pregnant, but I think it's more helpful and positive to tell kids (1)how to avoid pregnancy, (2)where to get Bc, (3) and how to get help and support if they ARE pregnant instead of this emotional coersion, you are an asshole type of poster.
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
12-05-2013, 01:52 PM
(12-05-2013 12:48 PM)amyb Wrote:  I think the problems with the pic that Peanut posted is that it doesn't help. In order to help younger people NOT have unwanted/unplanned children, you need to provide education, make them feel comfortable talking about sex, and hopefully also give them access to birth control.

The poster seems to me to have the affect of stigmatizing mothers who ALREADY have children more than addressing the problem of things like not enough access to birth control. Sure, it's also to discourage kids from having babies, but I think it probably mostly just stigmatizes teen parents who are already stigmatized plenty, by suggesting they are irresponsible (I would prefer a message telling them they'll need to be more responsible in the future rather than telling them they're irresponsible). Some might be, but I don't think it's helpful. A more helpful poster, in my mind, would be something with websites and organizations to contact to get birth control or help if they are pregnant, rather than this.

I agree with revenant that "it is something to be avoided," but I think the way to encourage people to avoid it is not a photo of a crying baby, that's all. When I was 16 or so, the school told us we could get free birth control at family planning. They also gave free condoms at the nurse's office. I walked to the clinic one day and got Norplant, which lasts 5 years, for free. Sure, lots of people i know still got pregnant, but I think it's more helpful and positive to tell kids (1)how to avoid pregnancy, (2)where to get Bc, (3) and how to get help and support if they ARE pregnant instead of this emotional coersion, you are an asshole type of poster.

I completely agree with you about education and availability of birth control being the actual solution to the problem. If I ever gave the impression otherwise I apologise. I also have seen proof that, statistically speaking, that method is far superior to shaming girls about having sex. Look at the CDC numbers for teen pregnancy and it sky rockets in places where abstinence-only sex ed is enforced.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
12-05-2013, 01:58 PM
Yeah, I know what you meant, I'm just trying to say there are a million better ways to accomplish the same goal without fueling stereotypes. The poster seems to do more harm than good, I think.

Who is the intended audience here? I am reading it as someone who already had a baby would be the audience, in which case it is trying to make that person feel bad and ashamed, rather than trying to help the situation in any way.

If the audience was teens without kids, or adults, it seems to just perpetuate stereotypes, and I don't think this specific statistic is the best one to use to get teens to not have sex or to use birth control.
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
12-05-2013, 08:40 PM
(12-05-2013 01:58 PM)amyb Wrote:  Yeah, I know what you meant, I'm just trying to say there are a million better ways to accomplish the same goal without fueling stereotypes. The poster seems to do more harm than good, I think.

Who is the intended audience here? I am reading it as someone who already had a baby would be the audience, in which case it is trying to make that person feel bad and ashamed, rather than trying to help the situation in any way.

If the audience was teens without kids, or adults, it seems to just perpetuate stereotypes, and I don't think this specific statistic is the best one to use to get teens to not have sex or to use birth control.

You're correct. And it doesn't start and stop with teen pregnancy. This entire country (the world, really) is obsessed with shaming people rather than helping them.

In my opinion, the intended audience of that poster is anyone and everyone who would be or could be shamed by it.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post
12-05-2013, 09:07 PM
The reason I posted that particular poster was because I, personally was offended by it. From my own, "teen mother" point of view, I think they are trying to make those in the same 'boat" as myself feel bad.

I'm sure that they also try to aim to reach the teens that are sexually active and to scare them. But this is just fueling stereotypes. (Amyb mentioned it and I absolutely agree.) It's making these girls feel as though there will be no support even BEFORE they have that baby at age sixteen. The message they will take away from that poster would something like, "Oh! I hope to never get pregnant anytime when I'm young! I will NEVER have support. There's simply no hope."

*I'm not saying ALL girls will think that, but if it were ME, I'd think that. If nobody has noticed, I get very anxious in my daily life and about my future all because I feel I have no support... Drinking Beverage

Anyway, I also want to state that I don't think people should encourage girls to be sexually active, but I'm a strong supported of safe sex. They WILL do it, they need to plan ahead and know the consequences of those flings and one-night stands. One night could equal the end of their own carefree lives and eighteen plus years taking care of another tiny human being.

My biggest thing is 1) Not supporting young mothers and only making them feel bad for their actions is NOT productive. If anything, it encourages self-conscious feelings of worthlessness. 2) Assuming a mother is unfit simply because of her age.

I'm aware I might have repeated myself, but I get so heart broken when I see things like the comments in the news article that prompted me to post it. Dodgy

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
[+] 1 user Likes Peanut's post
12-05-2013, 09:52 PM
O.K. so I'm going to be hated for this one, I bet. I don't want to cause anyone mental anguish, but every once in a while some people need a little tough love/stern talking to. I would never do it myself because it would be impossible for me do do so with any good taste, but...here's the scenario
My Aunt Tammie (all the older ones are christy; haven't asked my cousins) brings this young woman to our Christmas gatherings every year. She's not related to us; she just has nowhere else to go. Fine, I'm not so cold blooded as to turn away someone in need of a warm place to sit during the holidays. Anyway, this gal has 3 kids, all from different fathers. Her children make me and my cousins (including Brittany, a mother herself, having had a baby with her beloved husband) want to scream, they're so obnoxious. She doesn't give a damn; it's my Aunt Tammie who raises the little shits, not her.
1) she was ranting about how awful men were one fine Christmas day, and I lost it. "ya know I can give people second chances, but it's the MANs fault? You couldn't have kept your legs together long enough to run up to the gas station for some condoms that THIRD time around since you allready knew what MIGHT happen? You wanna know why you got 3 kids w/o fathers start looking in the mirror" Froze the room dead quiet. You could hear the crickets outside. My cousin Brittany suddenly burst out laughing her ass off Big Grin My Aunt and company left soon after.
2) I'm not advocating anything as malicious as that poster Peanut showed us, but THAT young lady? I want to hire a 250 lb. wrestler girl to go up and slap the unholy living shit fuck out of her, and some sense of responsibility into her!!!
Holding this girl's hand won't do the trick Undecided A little tough love may be needed.
Should've put this in the rant section Blush Brittany & Dobbs would be proud Big Grin