This is going to be my final post here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-05-2014, 06:03 PM
RE: This is going to be my final post here
T'was good to have met you.

I have often wondered why some members are initially very active then post less often then leave ... it's like I'm seeing the latter half, only, of a bell curve.

But I think I get it now.

Theism/atheism is one topic. TTA helps people though a process of change so the bell curve might be kinda:
Passive Theist --> Active Atheist --> Passive Atheist.

It's a personal journey. Job done, move on.

Others, and it does seem to be pertinent to a large proportion of the longer serving members here, started their journey from a more sceptical position or had minimal deconversion pain.

For these, perhaps, the desire is for societal change rather than personal change.

'Change from' is perhaps common ground.
'Change to' is a much bigger question and there is zero chance that we will all agree.

Good luck in the outside world, my friend. I hope you have found the 'change to' that you have been looking for.

Thumbsup

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like DLJ's post
25-05-2014, 06:57 PM
Oh great, first Frank leaves and now Carlo.. Not cool bro, now I have to suffer these commy bastards alone.

Nobody ever thinks of little ol' earmuffs needs, always selfishly thinking only about themselves. Sad

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
25-05-2014, 07:45 PM
(25-05-2014 06:57 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Oh great, first Frank leaves and now Carlo.. Not cool bro, now I have to suffer these commy bastards alone.

Nobody ever thinks of little ol' earmuffs needs, always selfishly thinking only about themselves. Sad

Commy?

You keep using that word. Consider

I don't think it means what you think it means. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-05-2014, 08:05 PM
It was good knowing you Carlo, hope you get to log thousands of flight hours in the future. Yes

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
25-05-2014, 08:11 PM
I get your thinking, but why burn the bridge, visit and post once a year, its not all or nothing.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
25-05-2014, 08:48 PM
Politics and religion - looks like if it's not one, it's the other.

Happy trails, Carlos, and do drop back in when you can. We'll leave the light on for you!

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
25-05-2014, 08:53 PM
(25-05-2014 12:06 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  Yeah, yeah. I know. I've said it before here. But this time it will be finalized. After this I'm going to deactivate the account and head on to greener pastures. I've come to this decision for a couple of reasons.

1) I don't know where the hell I can go with atheism any more. I get it. I don't believe that there is a god or gods or the probability that there is is so remote that it isn't worth expending energy, money, time, or effort to pursue. Now so the hell what? I'm out of the closet. My family knows and they accept it (even the religious ones). People at work know I'm an atheist and they dont care. So do my neighbors and my community and it all seems to be running together seamlessly. I have friends who are atheists and I also have religious friends. And I guess this is the way it should be. And I'm beginning to see further activity in the movement as superfluous. There are just so many times I can criticize the Bible or laugh at some dumb schmuck who posts something on FB about how Evolution is only a 'theory' or why there are still monkeys if we humans evolved from them. I don't think there's much more I can contribute to the movement. I'm done with the transformation and settled into my new life. And I'm content with that.

2) I'm also starting to get annoyed with a lot of atheists. A lot of them are pretty far left wing politically. They're so far that they cannot or will not acknowledge some of the shortcomings of liberalism and I'm beginning to see them as really quite fascist. I'm annoyed by their flagrant attempts to punish people for their opinions or thoughts (yes I have had a few conversations with liberal atheists who have suggested that ideas such as racism should be a thoughtcrime and that starts down a very dark road.). I'm annoyed at how in your face a lot of them are on political or religious issues, though I can see this as a kind of immune response to fundamentalist zealotry. But every goddamn thing I hear from them is a 'did you hear what racist/homophobic/nationalistic thing Politician X said?' or a constant stream of 'It's not fair that you have and I don't!' I recently yelled at someone who was complaining about making low wages working for WalMart and I told her to go find another job which pays better wages. She gave me some snarky liberal reply and I told her she was a fucking idiot for expecting Walmart to change for her need; WalMart has always sucked and it's a place for teenagers or transit workers to earn a little cash while they move onto something better. This is not rocket science people. I've a thousand and one other complaints with left wing atheists. But for now I'll get off my soapbox.

For newer atheists or those having doubts about your religious beliefs, don't let this post discourage you. You ARE right to question God. Even though there are idiot left wing political types in this movement who make me want to run down hippies in a farmer's market, there are a lot of good ones as well. Very genuine, good hard working ones who are being drown out by their shriller colleagues. Non believers are all around you. Explore this aspect of your life and find the answers you are seeking.

If anyone out here at the TTA wants to still contact me you can do so at LowCountry21@gmail.com. I still check the mailbox and am happy to discuss anything with you.

Best Regards,
Bugsmasher

Carlo,

I can't say at all that I disagree and I'm really bummed you're leaving us.

I'll be in touch! I can't discuss atheism anymore either -- actually I'm starting to see it as a nonissue. But I stay because of some of the people here I truly love.

Live long and prosper!

Heart

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 5 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
25-05-2014, 11:39 PM
Similar feels here. I love you heathens but most of the topics here are rehashed 'aint it cool to be atheist' threads and left wing to the point of obnoxious and stereotypical topics. People on bb.com joke around about fedora wearing neckbeard atheists who refer to women as 'm'lady'. You know the type if you've visited reddit. I hate it but one can see their point.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
26-05-2014, 04:47 PM
Cheers.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
26-05-2014, 04:51 PM
Take care Carlo!Big Grin

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume