18-03-2012, 03:46 PM
This is gonna cause some fighting...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/12...d%3D144458

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
18-03-2012, 03:51 PM
RE: This is gonna cause some fighting...
(18-03-2012 03:46 PM)Anjele Wrote:  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/12...d%3D144458

This is a bit much for me. Like seriously??? It's like that banning of the headscarf deal that the French made such a mess of. Government dictating what personal jewellery you're allowed to wear is getting waaaaaaaaay too big brotherish for me.
18-03-2012, 04:08 PM
I think it's a waste of time to even bother with things like that...like governments have nothing more important to do.

Course I have been tempted to carry a screwdriver so I could pop the Jesus fish off of cars. Maybe I could just add feet to them.

[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
18-03-2012, 04:37 PM
I agree that it is a waste of time, mainly because most people who wear the cross wear it because they like it. It's decorative. Most necklaces sold out here in BC have a cross dangling... or a big ass clock.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like lucradis's post
18-03-2012, 06:39 PM (This post was last modified: 18-03-2012 07:13 PM by Lilith Pride.)
The issue is that the article didn't discuss why they weren't able to wear it. It is suggesting that the argument is against a religious symbol, but most likely the issue is with jewelry. Both cases are with women working in jobs where you often have strict dress codes. If they aren't allowed to wear jewelry then this makes perfect sense. I'll look into it real quick.
One woman down

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion...nment.html

"Mrs Eweida’s case dates from 2006 when she was suspended for refusing to take off the cross which her employers claimed breached BA’s uniform code.

The 61 year-old, from Twickenham, is a Coptic Christian who argued that BA allowed members of other faiths to wear religious garments and symbols.

BA later changed its uniform policy but Mrs Eweida lost her challenge against an earlier employment tribunal decision at the Court of Appeal and in May 2010 was refused permission to go to the Supreme Court. "

In fact this article suggests that there are all sorts of christian cases recently. I'd say this is more christianity fighting to gain exemption than the government ignoring christianity.
I gotta go for now but bviously at least the first woman was in violation of dress code.
Seriously why would they be arguing that the cross is a symbol of faith if they weren't trying to get around a dres code concern?
Just by the courts response and the argument by article 9 it seems obvious that the main issue was completely non-religious.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
18-03-2012, 07:57 PM
The article also says that they asked one of the women to cover her cross...not remove it, and she refused. They don't mention any occasions where anyone was asked to hide or remove any other type of necklace. Will be interesting to see how this plays out and how far it goes.

18-03-2012, 09:25 PM
(18-03-2012 07:57 PM)Anjele Wrote:  The article also says that they asked one of the women to cover her cross...not remove it, and she refused. They don't mention any occasions where anyone was asked to hide or remove any other type of necklace. Will be interesting to see how this plays out and how far it goes.

People wearing crosses don't worry me, its those strict Moslem women behind the wheel of fwds that scare me.......How the Hell do they see properly?
[+] 2 users Like Mr Woof's post
18-03-2012, 09:45 PM
Like I said busy tonight, but at least one of the cases seems to be a dress code issue. Still need to look into the hospital worker's

Plenty of articles like this are just the media taking things too far

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
19-03-2012, 03:01 AM
I live in England and I've heard of these cases before.

As far as I know the issue was that both employers don't allow staff to have jewellery on show whilst working.

They do allow staff to break dress code for items that are a requirement of the persons religion. This means stuff like Sikhs wearing head-scarves.

These two women are just being petty. They've both seen co-workers wearing religious items and so they've jumped on the 'Christians get discriminated against' bandwagon and demanded to be allow to wear crosses (on show) just to make a point.

They've been told they can't for two reasons;

1) They can easily cover a cross on a necklace whereas it's impossible to wear a head-scarf under other uniform

2) It's not a requirement of Christianity to even where a cross, let alone have one on show.

They're making this into something that it isn't. This is about employers having dress codes that don't allow jewellery, it's not about religious symbols.

Also, talking about Government involvement, the Government only got involved when the case was brought to them as far as I know. They would be criticised if they ignored it but also they seem to get criticised for taking it seriously, they can't seem to win.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 2 users Like Hughsie's post
19-03-2012, 07:19 AM
Welp...

just...

welp...

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]