This is insanity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-10-2015, 03:37 PM (This post was last modified: 28-10-2015 04:01 PM by Lord Dark Helmet.)
This is insanity
This has to get overturned by the Supreme Court. No way this will stand.

I don't think this would apply in the Kim Davis case, but how is this not the exact same as the bakery refusing to make a cake for a gay wedding? In both cases, an employee refuses to do a job based on religion. It's not like they were being forced to consume the alcohol, only deliver it. Same with the bakery. They weren't forced to participate in the wedding, only deliver it.

They KNEW the job was to deliver alcohol when they accepted the position. If you know what the job entails, accept that job, then refuse to do it later, you can't be pissed when you get fired. This makes no sense. Now anyone can take a job, then refuse to do a task they say violates their religious beliefs and an employer has to deal with it?

I think I'm going to go get hired at a local liquor store, convert to Islam, then refuse to stock the shelves because I can't touch alcohol. I could use $240,000.

The Supreme Court really needs to make a ruling on this.

http://news.yahoo.com/muslim-truck-drive...47936.html

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Lord Dark Helmet's post
28-10-2015, 04:39 PM (This post was last modified: 28-10-2015 04:46 PM by RinChi.)
RE: This is insanity
A frivolous lawsuit if I've ever seen one for sure. It would be different if the company itself claimed to follow muslin doctrine, which obviously wasn't the case because they would never been in the alcohol business in the first place. These people knew thier job description the moment they were hired, if they didn't like it they should have quit.

The bakery thing is a whole different story, private organizations, including businesses can discriminate, be it at thier own peril.

The Kim Davis this was not the same thing, her being an elected official for the government binds her to following the will of the government and especially enforcing the constitution which explicitly prohibits her from using religious beliefs to justify her actions. Equally wrong, but not really comparable as far as narrative goes.

Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty. -Thomas Jefferson

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. -David Hume
28-10-2015, 07:00 PM (This post was last modified: 28-10-2015 07:06 PM by GirlyMan.)
(28-10-2015 04:39 PM)RinChi Wrote:  A frivolous lawsuit if I've ever seen one for sure.

ummmm ... I don't think you can call it frivolous when they won. just sayin'

And the employer Star Transport had already admitted liability. Where's the story?

#sigh
28-10-2015, 07:13 PM
Did you read this part?

Quote:As UCLA law professor Eugene Volokh explained to The Washington Post, the trucking company admitted that drivers often switched their assignments, meaning it would have been reasonable to accommodate the men's request, rather than firing them.

Surely this changes the situation a bit?
28-10-2015, 07:17 PM
(28-10-2015 07:00 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(28-10-2015 04:39 PM)RinChi Wrote:  A frivolous lawsuit if I've ever seen one for sure.

ummmm ... I don't think you can call it frivolous when they won. just sayin'

And the employer Star Transport had already admitted liability. Where's the story?

I won't claim to know much about law or lawsuits in general, but don't people win frivolous lawsuits all the time? I thought that was the part of the problem. I'm not so sure that admitting liability proves anything either, It may be a simple cost/benefit analysis. They may have figured it was cheaper to buckle than to fight.

Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty. -Thomas Jefferson

28-10-2015, 07:23 PM
(28-10-2015 07:13 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Did you read this part?

Quote:As UCLA law professor Eugene Volokh explained to The Washington Post, the trucking company admitted that drivers often switched their assignments, meaning it would have been reasonable to accommodate the men's request, rather than firing them.

Surely this changes the situation a bit?

Oh shit... I didn't pay enough attention. >.> I totally missed that. Even still though, it seems like if you take a job, and it could potentially require you to compromise your religious beliefs, it's not reasonable to refuse to perform such work. I mean, If i'm in this business owners place, I hope I never hire another religious person ever. That a serious disincentive.

28-10-2015, 07:26 PM
(28-10-2015 07:17 PM)RinChi Wrote:  I won't claim to know much about law or lawsuits in general, but don't people win frivolous lawsuits all the time?

I think frivolous lawsuits mean they are thrown out. Lawyers here can correct me.

#sigh
28-10-2015, 07:34 PM
(28-10-2015 07:26 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(28-10-2015 07:17 PM)RinChi Wrote:  I won't claim to know much about law or lawsuits in general, but don't people win frivolous lawsuits all the time?

I think frivolous lawsuits mean they are thrown out. Lawyers here can correct me.

I just looked it up and yeah, you are pretty much right. Says little to no chance of being won. I humbly stand corrected, please substitute the word "frivolous" with "bullshit" in my first post Big Grin

29-10-2015, 02:27 AM
Juries are only as fucked up as the people that they're comprised of.

So you get some real idiots from time to time..

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
29-10-2015, 07:09 AM
(29-10-2015 02:27 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Juries are only as fucked up as the people that they're comprised of.

So you get some real idiots from time to time..

The jury was only there to determine damages. The judge had already made the ruling.

#sigh