This is just backwards. The judge should be removed from the bench.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2012, 04:59 PM
RE: This is just backwards. The judge should be removed from the bench.
That was a very funny video, but I don't like Maher ever since he donated 1 million to that Muslim Obama! Please take it down! Okay, not. It was funny!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-02-2012, 05:03 PM
(24-02-2012 04:59 PM)weekendskp Wrote:  That was a very funny video, but I don't like Maher ever since he donated 1 million to that Muslim Obama! Please take it down! Okay, not. It was funny!

Er, Obama the US president? He's a Christian, last time I checked.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
24-02-2012, 05:48 PM
(24-02-2012 04:43 PM)ShirubaDangan Wrote:  I still can't believe, even in a country where freedom of speech is definitely one of our favorite freedoms, that it can still be openly attacked like this. It is pretty insane.

Apparently your freedom of speech is only protected if you're a non-corporeal legal entity.
24-02-2012, 06:03 PM
Interestingly enough the Mohammed guy could have been charged in Canada. if it could be proved to be a hate crime.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
24-02-2012, 06:09 PM
(24-02-2012 04:35 PM)Ben Wrote:  I have no legal knowledge at all, does anyone know if this can be appealed?

Yes, because there was an obvious conflict of interest--a Muslim judge ruling over the case of an atheist who mocked Islam. It would be like a father ruling over the case of the person who killed his daughter. There is no way that either man could be impartial. The judge should have recused himself before this thing even went to trial. I hope he does appeal the decision.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post
24-02-2012, 06:12 PM
The guy being assalted needs to file a complaint with the US Justice Department as a violation of his civil rights. The judge will be investigated.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
24-02-2012, 06:16 PM
(24-02-2012 06:03 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Interestingly enough the Mohammed guy could have been charged in Canada. if it could be proved to be a hate crime.

I've also heard that passages in the Bible calling for the stoning of homosexuals are banned from being read in church in Canada, but I wasn't sure if I should believe that. What does Canadian law say about hate crimes? What are they? How are they punished?

Hate crime legislation scares me a bit. I understand its purpose. I agree that we do need laws limiting the speech of individuals from inciting people to violence, especially violence against the already oppressed. But the day I can't mockingly call Mohammed and Jesus false prophets because that is a hate crime is the day free speech and freedom of religion truly is dead.

Slippery slope arguments are usually tenuous and inflammatory, but god damn if this is one of those cases.
24-02-2012, 06:31 PM
(24-02-2012 06:16 PM)rook2004 Wrote:  
(24-02-2012 06:03 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Interestingly enough the Mohammed guy could have been charged in Canada. if it could be proved to be a hate crime.

I've also heard that passages in the Bible calling for the stoning of homosexuals are banned from being read in church in Canada, but I wasn't sure if I should believe that. What does Canadian law say about hate crimes? What are they? How are they punished?

Hate crime legislation scares me a bit. I understand its purpose. I agree that we do need laws limiting the speech of individuals from inciting people to violence, especially violence against the already oppressed. But the day I can't mockingly call Mohammed and Jesus false prophets because that is a hate crime is the day free speech and freedom of religion truly is dead.

Slippery slope arguments are usually tenuous and inflammatory, but god damn if this is one of those cases.

Don't worry about the hate crime here. This is clearly a civil rights violation and the judge is implicated.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
24-02-2012, 06:45 PM
That is the most retarded thing I've read in a while. But hey now I know I can go around in the states and beat people up so long as I'm religious. Good to know.
Also glad to see JUDGES taking their jobs, you know the kind that can send people to prison, seriously.

[Image: B6fl6.gif]

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-02-2012, 07:14 AM
(24-02-2012 05:03 PM)Red Tornado Wrote:  Er, Obama the US president? He's a Christian, last time I checked.

Last time you checked? What did you do, peek under his choir robe?
[+] 1 user Likes weekendskp's post