This is just horrifying!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2013, 10:11 AM
This is just horrifying!
How can anyone think they have the right to do this! I think I may vomit, or cry, or both.

Just really, Australia?

http://www.divine.vic.gov.au/main-site/l...ryId,10451

http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Busi.../index.htm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2013, 11:00 AM
RE: This is just horrifying!
Any petition against it that i can sign?

KC IS A LIAR!!!! HE PROMISED ME VANILLA CAKES AND GAVE ME STRAWBERRY CAKE Weeping
Find all posts by this user
27-08-2013, 11:02 AM
So far not that I've seen
27-08-2013, 11:06 AM
I just don't understand how anyone can think this is moral, women die from being sterilized.
27-08-2013, 05:46 PM
I have a nephew who is profoundly mentally disabled. Some time after puberty but before he was 18 his parents had him sterilized.

One may find this cruel, it would have been more cruel for him to father children. Quite simply he could not be a father. He has on occasion had menial jobs which he cannot hold for any length of time. He can talk and he can do things when directed but cannot carry on a conversation in any but the most simple forms. He cannot live on his own and has to live in a group home. He could not raise a child in any meaningful fashion.

Forced sterilization for certain disabilities may be wrong. Sterilization of people with disabilities which preclude them being adequate parents is not necessarily wrong. I know that there are mentally disabled people who would be adequate parents, for my nephew to father a child would have been bad for both him and the child.

I know the state can make wrong decisions and understand this. I also know that my brother and sister in law made the correct decision.
27-08-2013, 06:19 PM
I have an uncle with autism, my grandparents did not get him the proper support he needed as a child now he cannot work or care for himself. He is basically a high functioning 13 year old in a 45 year old mans body. But we would never have him go through a medically unnecessary and cruel procedure. We planning to move him to a group home in the next 3 years when I am done with school since mom can't manage him by herself.
28-08-2013, 11:24 AM
BrokenQuill92, I will be most careful with my words as I know you must be personally sensitive to issues of the less abled.

I have no specific knowledge of your uncle and will make no comment on you or your grandparents decisions.

I routinely see my nephew at family gatherings. If he had impregnated a women it would have been a disaster for all involved. It would also have been a horrible burden to his parents who would have felt responsibility to both the woman and the child and would have willingly accepted that responsibility and carried it out. They chose not to accept that burden. I will continue to believe they made the correct choice.

Fridays are grandparents day for me my wife and my sister in law. We go to a park with our 4 grandchildren and play with them. It is most delightful as they play and we talk. It is one day a week for my sister in law, it would be all the time if my nephew was to have fathered a child. I am not sure that a 65 year old woman should have to be obliged to do that.
28-08-2013, 11:50 AM
(27-08-2013 11:06 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  I just don't understand how anyone can think this is moral, women die from being sterilized.
Women also die from pregnancy. This is not a black and white issue.
28-08-2013, 12:16 PM
(28-08-2013 11:50 AM)sandman Wrote:  
(27-08-2013 11:06 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  I just don't understand how anyone can think this is moral, women die from being sterilized.
Women also die from pregnancy. This is not a black and white issue.

But if someone is going to have a permanent life-altering invasive procedure done to them they should get a say. I guess because I know a great about the history between sterilization and disability that I find this so disgusting. It's almost on par with eugenics.