This is kind of scary in my opinion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-01-2011, 11:39 AM

This is kind of scary in my opinion
I shared this one The Thinking Atheist facebook page the other day but wanted to share this here as well. An article from the Associated Press that discusses a recent study into science education in the U.S. shows that students are not learning are the rates they should be.

What this means is that we are dropping off as a scientifically competitive nation. But more importantly we as a nation have stopped asking the important questions into how the world works and have passed this on to our children. If we aren't questioning what we are told we are in essence becoming sheep.

If you are interested in reading the article go to http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/arti...1b87177ef.
Quote this message in a reply
27-01-2011, 01:02 PM (This post was last modified: 27-01-2011 03:11 PM by cfhmagnet.)
RE: This is kind of scary in my opinion
I didn't get a chance to watch Obama's state of the union yet, but my fiancee broke it down for me a bit. She said that Obama challenged America to work to rectify this problem. We are falling very far behind European and Asian countries in math, science and technology. Now I don't know whether or not everyone on here likes the man or not, but give him this: He is at least addressing the problem. When the 1st Bush started the standardized testing bs, he hurt the educational system. When W enacted that "No child" crap, he mortally wounded it. Finally we have a president who says enough is enough, we need to do something to remedy the situation. If you want to raise children who are ignorant, ok, that's your right. But don't expect great things from your country when your ignorant children start running it.
Edit: Another good article pertaining to this subject, but different topically.
http://www.alternet.org/teaparty/149479/...ry/?page=1
Talks about the oddball righties coming into power in America and some of the rhetoric they have resurrected from the Dark Ages, especially the idea of divine right. These are men looking to be president, which means they may one day be men controlling our childrens education...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Obama is the best that the states have in the running, from what I am aware of. I am not into politics, but what I have seen is that you have some very crappy candidates looking to run for president. As long as he doesn't make anything worse, he will be a huge amount better than most or all of the other candidates.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
27-01-2011, 04:08 PM
He has had a much better record than the last pres. Some will argue that he isn't doing enough to make things better (although he did finally get the unemployment rate to start slowly dropping) but he certainly can't be honestly accused of making things worse.
27-01-2011, 05:19 PM
He will be accused of making things worst by right-wingers no matter what he does.I admit this is generalization but I have yet to see decent Republicans come in out and say he did this and that ok.
My biggest beef with him is that he caved to the tax cuts for the rich bill. That shouldn't have happened.
Just my two cents.
27-01-2011, 06:50 PM
(27-01-2011 05:19 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  He will be accused of making things worst by right-wingers no matter what he does.I admit this is generalization but I have yet to see decent Republicans come in out and say he did this and that ok.
My biggest beef with him is that he caved to the tax cuts for the rich bill. That shouldn't have happened.
Just my two cents.
In "The Crito" Socratestold his friend that only the opinions of the wise are the ones who count. Just ageneralization, but I think that discounts most republicans Smile
And the tax cuts for the rich pissed me off too, but it did have the purpose of exposing the republican party's true contempt for 98% of the American populaation gives us credence when we tell republican voters how they are stupidly votingus back into the dark ages
27-01-2011, 06:59 PM
I always thought this was something that had always been.

Since I was a toddler I've heard jokes about the uselessness of American general education.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
28-01-2011, 09:54 AM

I don't know why we are waiting for the president to do something about this. The only thing that the federal government can really do is release more funds to the school. We need to become more active, go to the schools, to the school board meetings and make our issues known.
Quote this message in a reply
28-01-2011, 02:16 PM
(27-01-2011 06:50 PM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  
(27-01-2011 05:19 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  He will be accused of making things worst by right-wingers no matter what he does.I admit this is generalization but I have yet to see decent Republicans come in out and say he did this and that ok.
Just my two cents.
In "The Crito" Socratestold his friend that only the opinions of the wise are the ones who count. Just ageneralization, but I think that discounts most republicans Smile
And the tax cuts for the rich pissed me off too, but it did have the purpose of exposing the republican party's true contempt for 98% of the American populaation gives us credence when we tell republican voters how they are stupidly votingus back into the dark ages
Here's the ironic thing about the tax cuts for the rich ... they have pretty much been disproven as job creators - which is the argument given for why to continue them. Additionally, by continuing them, it only serves to increase the deficit - which is what tea-partier types claim to be worried about. Democrats favor certain social programs and (except for empty threats to cut Social security) nothing is going to happen to them.

So here's the irony, it's democrats who are pissed about Obama caving into the GOP because it is fiscally irresponsible, and the GOP is cheering their fiscal irresponsibility as a win.
26-02-2011, 12:11 AM
"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." - Einstein

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire