This is kind of scary in my opinion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2011, 05:39 PM

RE: This is kind of scary in my opinion
Quote:But more importantly we as a nation have stopped asking the important questions into how the world works and have passed this on to our children.

Who decides what the "important questions" are?
Quote this message in a reply
27-02-2011, 07:09 AM
In math and science, there are definite things that children are expected to learn. Many areas especially the poorer areas schools can't even adequately teach facts, facts that the world uses to rate the schools in many ways. If a parent feels that science is not important for their kid to learn because it's an irrelevant field, that doesn't change the fact that the world rates it as an important field which needs further study.

As is noticed in a lot of other countries a mandatory logic class in high school shows a huge improvement in children's abilities. Things like this are important to look at. If we have evidence of things that help promote better learning we should follow suit.

The no child left behind and other all kids are equal bullshit is the root cause of children's lack in education. Few classes are able to actually teach what is desired to be taught in a year due to the varying levels of competence between students. Some students are too incompetent for it to matter how often you go over a subject, and the students who are very competent often (as I did) lose all interest in academics.

Public education isn't the only way for people to gain knowledge, but in the world of today where there are so many activities to do which are not as beneficial as others. It's a bit more important to teach children better habits the only time they're forced to listen, which in general is public school.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2011, 01:51 PM

I watched an interesting documentary entitled "Waiting For Superman" about how America's public school systems are sliding further and further behind in a LOT of subjects so it's hard to really lay blame to anyone other than ourselves.

We just need to step up and stop fucking our kid's educations.
Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2011, 10:36 PM
(27-01-2011 01:02 PM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  Edit: Another good article pertaining to this subject, but different topically.
http://www.alternet.org/teaparty/149479

This was an interesting article, thanks for sharing. Kind of scary, really. I was just talking to my husband tonight about education here in the US, or lack thereof. It seems we are allowing (and encouraging) our population to become stupider and stupider as a whole. If we continue down this path of devaluing education, I fear that Idiocrasy shall become a reality. :/

I work with some young people who recently graduated high school. They opened my eyes to some things that I really had no clue about. When I went to high school, you had 4 years of classes, classes being all day, and none of these standardized tests. We had tests and finals of course, but nothing like exists now. Anyway, apparently (here in Texas anyway, don't know about other states) the last grade of high school is a complete waste. By this time they have finished all of their standardized tests, so they only need to take enough classes to get a certain number of hours in order to graduate. So for the first 3 years of high school, they learn how to take tests, and the last year, they do pretty much nothing. What a complete waste. They do have college classes available for some kids, but only a small number take part in these. It just seems ridiculous to me.

Don't even get me started on the mandated abstinence only sex-ed. Wink

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
02-03-2011, 10:39 PM
(02-03-2011 01:51 PM)Diclonius Wrote:  I watched an interesting documentary entitled "Waiting For Superman" about how America's public school systems are sliding further and further behind in a LOT of subjects so it's hard to really lay blame to anyone other than ourselves.

We just need to step up and stop fucking our kid's educations.

The American education system is fucked up beyond repair and it was irreversibly too late to fix anything decades ago.

All that hate's gonna burn you up, kid.
-- It keeps me warm.