This is really freaking cool . . .

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-08-2015, 06:04 AM
RE: This is really freaking cool . . .
Liquid nitrogen here:

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Hafnof's post
17-08-2015, 09:06 AM
Man, I figured it would explode for sure. When I saw his hand unprotected, holding the channel-lock pliers, I flinched!

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
17-08-2015, 11:15 AM
(17-08-2015 09:06 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Man, I figured it would explode for sure. When I saw his hand unprotected, holding the channel-lock pliers, I flinched!

That effect, the near instantaneous evaporation that caused the ball to rotate and stay hotter longer? Just one of those fun properties only observable at extremes that we're rarely exposed to in our everyday lives. Actually it reminded me of supercavitation and the sonoluminescence caused by Mantis Shrimp. Just goes to show that reality is often stranger than we give it credit for.

[Image: images%2Farticle%2F2014%2F03%2F18%2FScre...6%2BPM.png]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
17-08-2015, 12:08 PM
(16-08-2015 08:02 PM)pablo Wrote:  Should have done it in the dark.

... said the actress to the bishop.

Angel

17-08-2015, 12:51 PM
(17-08-2015 11:15 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(17-08-2015 09:06 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Man, I figured it would explode for sure. When I saw his hand unprotected, holding the channel-lock pliers, I flinched!

That effect, the near instantaneous evaporation that caused the ball to rotate and stay hotter longer? Just one of those fun properties only observable at extremes that we're rarely exposed to in our everyday lives.

You know, the irony is that I DID know about that phenomenon, as it's literally the only reason the explosions in your engine cylinders (in the bikes I build) don't almost-immediately burn a hole in the top of the piston. Water is a by-product of combustion, and the resulting steam forms a layer that protects the metal of the cylinder/piston. It's why "knocking and pinging" is such a dangerous problem, because it blows away that protective layer, and you wind up with a high chance of catastrophic damage to the piston from burn-through.

I simply didn't think through to the effect it would have with a temperature difference between the nickel and the nitrogen.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
17-08-2015, 01:15 PM
(17-08-2015 12:51 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(17-08-2015 11:15 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  That effect, the near instantaneous evaporation that caused the ball to rotate and stay hotter longer? Just one of those fun properties only observable at extremes that we're rarely exposed to in our everyday lives.

You know, the irony is that I DID know about that phenomenon, as it's literally the only reason the explosions in your engine cylinders (in the bikes I build) don't almost-immediately burn a hole in the top of the piston. Water is a by-product of combustion, and the resulting steam forms a layer that protects the metal of the cylinder/piston. It's why "knocking and pinging" is such a dangerous problem, because it blows away that protective layer, and you wind up with a high chance of catastrophic damage to the piston from burn-through.

I simply didn't think through to the effect it would have with a temperature difference between the nickel and the nitrogen.

That's usually caused when the fuel-air mixture is off, typically from it being too lean (air rich), right? Too much air will cause the combustion temperature to rise above tolerances and can not only "bake" spark plugs, but destroy them, if not outright melt a hole in the piston or cylinder.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
18-08-2015, 07:11 AM

I haven't spent much time with liquid nitrogen myself, but my brother has used it as part of his neurological research. He says its safer not to wear protection because of the leidenfrost effect. If liquid nitrogen touches your hand you'll be fine. It'll boil off so quickly it will insulate you from it. The rest will roll right off rather than doing damage. However if you wear a glove it could soak in and won't roll off. It's important to remove jewellery but because it is so cold it is counterintuitively safe. Warmer substances such as concoctions of dry ice can actually be much more dangerous due to the lack of leidenfrost effect.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
18-08-2015, 09:19 AM
(17-08-2015 01:15 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(17-08-2015 12:51 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  You know, the irony is that I DID know about that phenomenon, as it's literally the only reason the explosions in your engine cylinders (in the bikes I build) don't almost-immediately burn a hole in the top of the piston. Water is a by-product of combustion, and the resulting steam forms a layer that protects the metal of the cylinder/piston. It's why "knocking and pinging" is such a dangerous problem, because it blows away that protective layer, and you wind up with a high chance of catastrophic damage to the piston from burn-through.

That's usually caused when the fuel-air mixture is off, typically from it being too lean (air rich), right? Too much air will cause the combustion temperature to rise above tolerances and can not only "bake" spark plugs, but destroy them, if not outright melt a hole in the piston or cylinder.

Fuel-air mixture is part of it, but it has mainly to do with the volatility of the gasoline and the amount of compression as the cylinder "squeezes" the mix in order to heat and thus vaporize the gasoline droplets in the cylinder. Liquid gasoline does not burn, so it has to be heated into a gas to explode. The more you heat the mixture by compression, the more of the gasoline vaporizes, and the more efficient your burn. However, if there is too low an octane rating (too much volatility) for the compression, or there is a carbon-buildup or other "hot spot" in the cylinder, then the heating can be enough to cause the mixture of fuel and air to detonate before the piston is in the right position to smoothly accept the sudden increase from the reaction, and you wind up with uneven or too much pressure against the piston, causing a loss of the leidenfrost effect and direct contact of the hot gasses with the metal. The mixture being too lean increases the heat in the cylinder overall because there is less liquid to "boil off" and thus absorb some of the heat of compression, which is a constant. Aluminum melts at rougly 1200 degrees F, and while the minimum temperature of the combustion of gasoline is only 500 degrees, the effects of the combustion and pressure increases via the Ideal Gas Law drive it to over 1700 degrees.

18-08-2015, 10:46 AM
(17-08-2015 06:00 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  That guy's whole channel is pretty much dedicated to putting red hot nickel balls on things and in things. You will now spend the rest of the night watching.

Red Hot Nickel Ball: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...aBs-XMmdqg

Well ... there went my morning. Dodgy

That was pretty cool when the ball started spinning in the nitrogen. Kinda got a lady boner there. Blush

I found the part where he put it in the water to "warm" it up to be very interesting, as well. Consider
I would love to see the slaked off crystal formations through an electron microscope. I've seen snow flake crystals but nothing formed through such a violent action. They might look different.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
18-08-2015, 07:14 PM
That one with the foam was pretty neat to look at. I'm guessing that the gas used to inflate the foam was CO2 and not a chlorofluorocarbon, which would evolve hydrogen cyanide gas when heated, since the guy doesn't seem to have experienced any deleterious effects...like death.

You can do the same thing as the liquid nitrogen video by dipping your hands in ammonia water and dumping molten lead on them. I'd recommend using a vessel, instead, even though I know that it works.

...and yes, it is really freakin' cool!