This is so cool. 100 million year old attack caught in time.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-10-2012, 09:34 AM
This is so cool. 100 million year old attack caught in time.
I don't know why, but this kind of stuff just fascinates me. I mean... these specific animal species have been long extinct, and here they are... right in front of us... perfectly preserved.

It's just so cool if you really think about it.

Story here.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post
10-10-2012, 09:41 AM
RE: This is so cool. 100 million year old attack caught in time.
"I have a dream that one day little spider boys and girls will be holding hands with little wasp boys and girls."

Edit: I'm confused and amused by your gif signature.
[+] 1 user Likes PoolBoyG's post
10-10-2012, 09:43 AM
(10-10-2012 09:34 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I don't know why, but this kind of stuff just fascinates me. I mean... these specific animal species have been long extinct, and here they are... right in front of us... perfectly preserved.

Story here.

Really coolDrinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
10-10-2012, 10:07 AM
Ah, amber is quite beautiful and a fantastic preservative. I have a few lovely amber earrings with stuff in them. I used to joke that I was wearing dinosaur DNA. Shy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
10-10-2012, 10:26 AM
(10-10-2012 10:07 AM)kim Wrote:  Ah, amber is quite beautiful and a fantastic preservative. I have a few lovely amber earrings with stuff in them. I used to joke that I was wearing dinosaur DNA. Shy

Me too. I don't wear it, but I have a piece of amber too. You can get one for nothing, (almost), over on eBay, with "inclusions". I like having something that's 100,000,000 years old. Big Grin

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
10-10-2012, 10:37 AM
(10-10-2012 09:34 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I don't know why, but this kind of stuff just fascinates me. I mean... these specific animal species have been long extinct, and here they are... right in front of us... perfectly preserved.

Story here.

Wah? No

Ok... yes, this photo and info is way cool but Kingsy, this one thing, right here is why Fox News is fucked. The last sentence of this article is a worthless piece of shit. It is completely inaccurate, entirely conjecture and I hate them, I hate them, I hate them for spreading this kind of bullshit:

Quote:The attack on the wasp by the bristly orb-weaver spider, Geratonephila burmanica, might then be considered revenge.

WTF? - might then be considered revenge. This was not in quotes and I'm betting this was not even uttered by George Poinar, Jr., zoology professor at Oregon State University.

Why then, did this dip shit reporter think it just so important to "consider" that a spider would entertain the complex human, egocentric emotions related to revenge? Anthropomorphize, much? For this, I "consider" this reporter (Megan Gannon) to be a completely juvenile, moron.

The wasp was just going to be eaten because that's what spiders do.

Do you see what I'm getting at here? I know it seems like just a little thing, but it really is not when it comes to how people think, when thinking scientifically.

Now... not a big deal... just wanted to point out why Fox is so suspect... carry on. Drinking Beverage

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
10-10-2012, 10:49 AM
(10-10-2012 10:37 AM)kim Wrote:  

Story here.

Wah? No

Ok... yes, this photo and info is way cool but Kingsy, this one thing, right here is why Fox News is fucked. The last sentence of this article is a worthless piece of shit. It is completely inaccurate, entirely conjecture and I hate them, I hate them, I hate them for spreading this kind of bullshit:

Quote:The attack on the wasp by the bristly orb-weaver spider, Geratonephila burmanica, might then be considered revenge.

WTF? - might then be considered revenge. This was not in quotes and I'm betting this was not even uttered by George Poinar, Jr., zoology professor at Oregon State University.

Why then, did this dip shit reporter think it just so important to "consider" that a spider would entertain the complex human, egocentric emotions related to revenge? Anthropomorphize, much? For this, I "consider" this reporter (Megan Gannon) to be a completely juvenile, moron.

The wasp was just going to be eaten because that's what spiders do.

Do you see what I'm getting at here? I know it seems like just a little thing, but it really is not when it comes to how people think, when thinking scientifically.

Now... not a big deal... just wanted to point out why Fox is so suspect... carry on. Drinking Beverage

I'll have to agree with you on this one.

But, it really is rare that they put that crap in their science stuff... but yeah, completely ridiculous.

Edit: On a side note, I "get" why she said it; however, there isn't anything that's called "revenge" in the arachnid/insect world. Spiders eat wasps. Wasps lay parasitic larvae on spiders. That's just nature. Nothing vengeful about it.

10-10-2012, 11:03 AM
Oh sure... but if she wants to go off on a personal, speculative, fantasy tangent... then she should clarify by putting it in some other paragraph saying something like "ooh it's almost as if this were revenge ... blah blah blah... "

I wonder about reporters of this ilk - they don't seem to be equipped to keep their mind focused and so their writing seems askew.

Hmm. Consider Makes me want to question (grill) a cousin of mine.... she's just finished her freshman year of journalism. I'm dying to know how she's doing.

Anyway - I love amber. Do you have any amber? You should pick up some for Queeny - it is surprisingly light weight... and the light that comes through it can be pure or richly textured. I like the lighter stuff but the darker stuff seems to be quite prized by many.

10-10-2012, 11:30 AM
No, I don't own any amber. I'm not even sure if QC likes it. Hmmm... might be something to find out Big Grin

10-10-2012, 11:36 AM
I was listening to the Kirk/Spock Q-tip battle music while reading this. And WHAM! - revenge quote at the end. Not that it was revenge for Spock. He was going through pon farr.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Quantum Fields in Curved Space-Time zaybu 0 60 17-06-2014 06:04 AM
Last Post: zaybu
  Time Travel and Why the CrackerJack Dimension Shifting Bracelet is Inadequate Airportkid 8 160 06-06-2014 04:22 PM
Last Post: Michael_Tadlock
  SC- got it right this time- Columbian Mammoth Bows and Arrows 1 89 15-05-2014 03:50 PM
Last Post: Impulse
  Speed of light and time. DeavonReye 22 407 21-03-2014 02:37 PM
Last Post: Blackhand293
  How I See Time Travel UndercoverAtheist 1 72 20-03-2014 09:21 PM
Last Post: Alex_Leonardo
  What year is it, actually? dancefortwo 9 340 01-03-2014 11:56 PM
Last Post: toadaly
  Real time Earth wind map true scotsman 6 414 06-02-2014 09:57 AM
Last Post: Momsurroundedbyboys