This is something I didn't know. How about you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-03-2014, 08:54 PM
This is something I didn't know. How about you?
I learn stuff all the time. This is something I didn't know. The ironworkers who build the sky scrapers in New York City are often from the Mohawk tribe. Some of the Mohawk ironworkers go back five generations. Hell, I didn't know that.Smile I mean, maybe it's common knowledge but it was new to me.

Here is a quote from the following article. "putting riveting tools in their hands was like putting ham with eggs.”

http://www.wnyc.org/story/192807-sky-wal...ion-alive/

I donno, I think that's kinda cool cuz' there is no way I could do that work 800 feet up in the sky. They have my complete admiration. They did the ironwork on the One World Trade Center.

Is there something cool and amazing any of you have learned lately?

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2014, 07:40 AM
RE: This is something I didn't know. How about you?
(02-03-2014 08:54 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I learn stuff all the time. This is something I didn't know. The ironworkers who build the sky scrapers in New York City are often from the Mohawk tribe. Some of the Mohawk ironworkers go back five generations. Hell, I didn't know that.Smile I mean, maybe it's common knowledge but it was new to me.

Here is a quote from the following article. "putting riveting tools in their hands was like putting ham with eggs.”

http://www.wnyc.org/story/192807-sky-wal...ion-alive/

I donno, I think that's kinda cool cuz' there is no way I could do that work 800 feet up in the sky. They have my complete admiration. They did the ironwork on the One World Trade Center.

Is there something cool and amazing any of you have learned lately?

I learned that long time ago watching:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083336/

The movie is about shape shifting and was really scary back in its day - But - I remember being interested if NativeAmericans building sky scrappers was true or movie so I researched it a few days after I saw the film. Fascinating isn't it?

I've not been fascinated nor amazed by the wide world these days but did learn something surprising about myself.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
03-03-2014, 07:47 AM
RE: This is something I didn't know. How about you?
I have a friend that is an iron worker. He loves it. He has worked on skyscrapers, roller coasters, can travel if he wants. He is an adrenaline junkie. You learn to trust your safety equipment. They practice all sorts of emergency situations, etc.

I think his father was an iron worker too....I always thought some 'jobs' just run in families. Unsure I've known families with generations of coal miners, doctors, lawyers, firefighters, police, teachers, musicians,

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller