This is water

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2013, 06:35 AM
RE: This is water
Holy jumping Jesus H Christ on a bicycle did you guys miss the point lol.

Hey, Chas.

That was a pretty cool video.

You posted it without comment. Is there a particular reason you posted it or a particular point you were trying to make, or were you just sharing something neat?

I was recently shown a quote that shook up my life and the way I view things. I think it dovetails with this video.

Quote:Self importance is man’s greatest enemy. What weakens him is feeling offended by the deeds and misdeeds of his fellow man. Self-importance requires that one spend most of one’s life offended by someone or something.
-Carlos Castaneda “The Fire From Within”

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2013, 07:00 AM
(09-05-2013 06:35 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Holy jumping Jesus H Christ on a bicycle did you guys miss the point lol.

Hey, Chas.

You posted it without comment. Is there a particular reason you posted it or a particular point you were trying to make, or were you just sharing something neat?

I was recently shown a quote that shook up my life and the way I view things. I think it dovetails with this video.

Quote:Self importance is man’s greatest enemy. What weakens him is feeling offended by the deeds and misdeeds of his fellow man. Self-importance requires that one spend most of one’s life offended by someone or something.
-Carlos Castaneda “The Fire From Within”

Matt

I suppose I should have made a comment, but the video seems so self-explanatory that I didn't have anything to add.

The video coalesced some feelings I have had, especially recently and especially here, about people being so wrapped up in themselves, their situations, and their ideologies.

To 'tersify' your quote: Get over yourselves.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
09-05-2013, 07:15 AM
(09-05-2013 07:00 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(09-05-2013 06:35 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Holy jumping Jesus H Christ on a bicycle did you guys miss the point lol.

Hey, Chas.

Matt

I suppose I should have made a comment, but the video seems so self-explanatory that I didn't have anything to add.

The video coalesced some feelings I have had, especially recently and especially here, about people being so wrapped up in themselves, their situations, and their ideologies.

What! This isn't all about me? Shocking

"Does one apple in a vast orchard think as much of itself as we do?"
Mark Twain

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
09-05-2013, 07:35 AM
(09-05-2013 07:00 AM)Chas Wrote:  The video coalesced some feelings I have had, especially recently and especially here, about people being so wrapped up in themselves, their situations, and their ideologies.

But why should we, Chas? After all, our lives are the most fascinating thing ever, not just to us, but to everyone else around us, right? Just as our problems are undeniably the worst.

What, are you trying to tell me other people might not be interested? That they may actually have lives of their own? Problems of their own? That they do not really want to know every little detail of our amazingly important lives? Every little thought that crosses our minds? Every up and every down? Get out of here! That's impossible.

Because I'm not just the centre of my own universe. I'm the centre of the universe. It's all about ME. Every little thing. And if you don't see it, it's because you're simply too self-centered and unempathetic. Now someone hold my hand, tell me I'm pretty and amazing, and unique and that I matter above everyone else.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
09-05-2013, 08:19 AM
(09-05-2013 07:35 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(09-05-2013 07:00 AM)Chas Wrote:  The video coalesced some feelings I have had, especially recently and especially here, about people being so wrapped up in themselves, their situations, and their ideologies.

But why should we, Chas? After all, our lives are the most fascinating thing ever, not just to us, but to everyone else around us, right? Just as our problems are undeniably the worst.

What, are you trying to tell me other people might not be interested? That they may actually have lives of their own? Problems of their own? That they do not really want to know every little detail of our amazingly important lives? Every little thought that crosses our minds? Every up and every down? Get out of here! That's impossible.

Because I'm not just the centre of my own universe. I'm the centre of the universe. It's all about ME. Every little thing. And if you don't see it, it's because you're simply too self-centered and unempathetic. Now someone hold my hand, tell me I'm pretty and amazing, and unique and that I matter above everyone else.

Dammit Vera! This thread is about ME! Not you.

Seriously now, self centerdness and being critical can be very debilitating and and has caused me unhappiness. The following thought experiment has done wonders for me, especially in crowded venues and can sometimes turn pretty funny. Pretty much what the video Chas uploaded said.

Have you ever found yourself out in public rolling your eyes at what other people are wearing or look like or acting like? Yes
Turn it into a thought-game by forcing your self to think something positive instead, it can be anything at all. The harder this is for you the more self-centered and critical your outlook is. The longer you play this game the easier it should become. Do it over a period long enough, days, weeks, years and it becomes ingrained, the default setting if you will. It has worked for me.
Good luck.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
09-05-2013, 08:35 AM
(09-05-2013 08:19 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Have you ever found yourself out in public rolling your eyes at what other people are wearing or look like or acting like? :

Only in extreme cases. Which is why, for example, my answer to that stupid thread about what annoys us at the supermarket, where people were bitching about the stupidest little things, was: nothing. Actually, I often find it enjoyable. Like a random gentleman in a Brazilian supermarket jokingly asking me if I was related to their president (who is half-Bulgarian). And seeing the little things people do - it's very rarely that I find them annoying, on the contrary - they're often endearing.

I don't think everything is about me, I don't believe the world or anyone in it owes me anything and I also realise that even if I'm having a shitty day and everything annoys me, so can the person next to me be having one. And even if they aren't, I still have no right to take my own frustrations on them or anyone else, or insist they be interested in ME.

Man, I can go on and on about this but I won't, because self-centeredness is one of my biggest triggers and there's more than enough of it everywhere (incl. here) for me to think about it out of my own volition [Image: meditation.gif]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
09-05-2013, 08:40 AM
(09-05-2013 07:00 AM)Chas Wrote:  I suppose I should have made a comment, but the video seems so self-explanatory that I didn't have anything to add.

Hmmmmm. I think (in my reality tunnel) that every single person who watches this video may take away something unique and personal to them. To say to somebody "get over yourself" is merely making that choice to decide what that person should be getting over on their behalf.

A more powerful thing in my eyes, the most enlightening, is not for other people to "get over themselves" but for us, as individuals, who know no other... who we are most intimate with... is ourselves to "get over ourselves"

(09-05-2013 07:35 AM)Vera Wrote:  Now someone hold my hand, tell me I'm pretty and amazing, and unique and that I matter above everyone else.

I could... wouldnt have the same impact though if you did it to yourself Cool

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
09-05-2013, 09:51 AM
Awareness. Awesome! I love it, Chas. Thanks!