This is what Religion is supposed to be.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
22-08-2013, 06:20 AM
RE: This is what Religion is supposed to be.
(20-08-2013 05:18 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Religion caused the problems that required those actions...

This and only this.

The only thing those pictures show is countrymen defending one another against extremists.

Those are tolerant people but still mislead.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-08-2013, 06:22 AM
(21-08-2013 07:48 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  
(20-08-2013 04:16 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  Humanity: You're doing it right.
THIS is what humans are supposed to be. Thumbsup

Fixed.

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes only yes yes yes...

the day we all realize that together and drop the pretense is the day we will be ready to truly grow. It will be the last day of our childhood and the first day our race was ever really a race. If it ever happens we will have truly elevated ourselves out of any need for anything but each other and truly ready to go out and make something of our race in this galaxy.
23-08-2013, 02:33 PM
Based on the responses so far:

1. Ferdinand was being bold.

2. Everyone else showed their lack of tolerance. God forbid one religious person anywhere should be caught doing anything moral or upstanding. That upsets the whole apple cart, doesn't it? (Yeah, yeah so those people did a good thing. They shouldn't have HAD to do it because of others' religious intolerance.)
[+] 2 users Like PleaseJesus's post
23-08-2013, 02:53 PM
(23-08-2013 02:33 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Based on the responses so far:

2. Everyone else showed their lack of tolerance. God forbid one religious person anywhere should be caught doing anything moral or upstanding. That upsets the whole apple cart, doesn't it? (Yeah, yeah so those people did a good thing. They shouldn't have HAD to do it because of others' religious intolerance.)

If you had been paying attention, you'd have noted the fact that we called attention to the goodness of mankind after whittling away the adherence to any delusions. This is what's important.

And what I would guess Ferdy was trying to say in the first place.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
23-08-2013, 07:13 PM
Even things that are terrible in some peoples' eyes can bring good, and the point of the original post is to show that good deeds can be preformed; whether people accept that ignorantly or not.
[+] 2 users Like Ferdinand's post
24-08-2013, 06:08 AM
(23-08-2013 02:33 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Based on the responses so far:

People being good to each other is a human trait, not a religious trait. Religion stepping in and claiming that ground for itself doesn't wash. Religions claim every good thing a human does but claim is unjustified. Good people do good things. Bad people do bad things. But for a good person to do bad things requires a pretty heavy ideology, and religion is among the most successful techniques for encouraging the good to do bad as evidenced by the need for these guys to stand against the evils their brothers intended for their enemies.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 3 users Like Hafnof's post
24-08-2013, 11:43 AM
(20-08-2013 08:11 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  
(20-08-2013 08:08 PM)TheLastEnemy Wrote:  I Disagree, Religion is just...religion.

That's looking at it very ignorantly. Religion can be stupid and harmful, but that's only looking at the negatives of religion. Beyond that, there are some good people, and this thread demonstrates that there are good people in Religion.

I Wasn't saying Religion or religious people are inherently bad, I was saying Religion is generally neutral, there are good and bad people in it, and people use it to do good and bad things.

I Will have My revenge on AlternateHistory.com, in this life or the next Evil_monster

~WrappedInShadows (AKA Me)
[+] 1 user Likes TheLastEnemy's post