This is what passes for logic at Catholic Answers.com, from a senior member

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2012, 07:53 PM
This is what passes for logic at Catholic Answers.com, from a senior member
Many people believe everything is ultimately due to either Design or Chance. Theists - like John Calvin - believe not a drop of rain falls without the express command of God whereas sceptics - like Schopenhauer - believe there is no reason why anything exists. The truth lies between the two extremes: within the framework of Design there is an element of Chance. In an immensely complex universe negative and destructive events are inevitable. Sooner or later persons and animals are bound to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. There is no reason why natural disasters like earthquakes occur in populated areas. The laws of nature don't take into account the welfare of living beings.

It is impossible to know the precise extent to which chance events play a part in our lives within the overall pattern of development because they are often beneficial. Some strokes of good fortune like winning the lottery are obvious because no one is responsible but what is thought to be "bad luck" is not necessarily fortuitous. It is sometimes caused by ignorance, carelessness or even malice. Although disease is often due to an unhealthy lifestyle not all victims of cancer are responsible for their illness. Circumstances like exposure to radioactive substances may be the cause. Again there is no reason why some individuals are afflicted and others escape unharmed.

The main feature of chance events is that they are irregular, spasmodic, inconsistent and unreliable. We do not rely on them to make our decisions although we take them into account by considering how likely they are to happen. Bishop Butler said that probability is the very guide of life. In other words, we are not entirely at the mercy of chance because we can use our power of reason to minimise the risk of failure and misfortune. The fact that we can do this is further evidence that existence is fundamentally rational rather than absurd. To derive consciousness, thought and insight from inanimate chemical reactions is the most preposterous metaphysical conjuring trick ever performed and surpassed only by the futile attempt to explain everything from nothing!

Yup, Bucky is a mole there. I doubt you, (or they) will figure out, my ID there. If they did, I'd be out on my ass. I almost blew it a couple weeks ago. I just learned TOO well how to talk Catolik, I guess. Tongue Einstein

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
29-04-2012, 09:57 PM
RE: This is what passes for logic at Catholic Answers.com, from a senior member
I assume that the poster doesn't understand the "law of large numbers" association to predicted outcomes.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
Find all posts by this user
29-04-2012, 11:22 PM
RE: This is what passes for logic at Catholic Answers.com, from a senior member
To quote Penn Gillette: Luck is just probability taken personally.

Science is what separates chance from probability. If your test holds predictive power, then you've discovered a variable that makes an actual probable difference.

Good post, Bucky Ball, and good luck. I love holding discussions on theist forums, but as you've noted, it's easy to get thrown out of a moderated forum if you have a dissenting view.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user