This is why we can't have nice things...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-08-2015, 12:48 PM
This is why we can't have nice things...
Boy trips and punches a hole in a $1.5 million painting

Poor kid. I'm just remembering how bad I felt for accidentally throwing away my retainer and then multiplying it by 3,000... Gasp

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
25-08-2015, 01:10 PM (This post was last modified: 25-08-2015 01:13 PM by cactus.)
RE: This is why we can't have nice things...
Ohmy Yikes, that makes me light-headed just thinking about how that must have felt. The fact that the footage is now publicly available makes it even worse for the guy.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
25-08-2015, 01:11 PM
(25-08-2015 12:48 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  Boy trips and punches a hole in a $1.5 million painting

Poor kid. I'm just remembering how bad I felt for accidentally throwing away my retainer and then multiplying it by 3,000... Gasp

Woops. Tongue

We knew the director of a museum here and his wife, before he retired. There used to be a world famous Rembrandt "just out in the open" here .... sometimes guards in the room, sometimes not, especially if it was a "members preview". I *had a talk* with the director's wife once, and said, "Ya know Mary, some day we're gonna wake up and hear someone did something bad to that painting. Don't you think it should be enclosed in plexi-glass or better guarded ?" I was shocked the next time I was there to see they had put something over it, (protective glass ??), but it was also funny how all the other REALLY high-buck paintings had been moved out of that room, and scattered around the intitution, not all in one place. I said "Hmm, the curators must have taken my advice". My dad said "Nah .... the insurance agent just paid them a visit." Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
25-08-2015, 01:15 PM
(25-08-2015 01:11 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(25-08-2015 12:48 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  Boy trips and punches a hole in a $1.5 million painting

Woops. Tongue

We knew the director of a museum here and his wife, before he retired. There used to be a world famous Rembrandt "just out in the open" here .... sometimes guards in the room, sometimes not, especially if it was a "members preview". I *had a talk* with the director's wife once, and said, "Ya know Mary, some day we're gonna wake up and hear someone did something bad to that painting. Don't you think it should be enclosed in plexi-glass or better guarded ?" I was shocked the next time I was there to see they had put something over it, (protective glass ??), but it was also funny how all the other REALLY high-buck paintings had been moved out of that room, and scattered around the intitution, not all in one place. I said "Hmm, the curators must have taken my advice". My dad said "Nah .... the insurance agent just paid them a visit." Weeping

I have a feeling the insurance agent will be visiting them again.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
26-08-2015, 07:58 AM
What struck me first was "Why is anyone allowed to carry a drink around?"

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
26-08-2015, 08:17 AM
Quote:"I'm actually thinking of asking the boy back to be a volunteer in the exhibition for one day," Sun said, "as a penalty."

Umm...isn't the worldwide public humiliation enough of a penalty? Jesus, I'd feel terrible if it were me. I feel terrible for the boy. Poor thing. Asking him to volunteer in the exhibition is just further public shaming.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 3 users Like Nurse's post
26-08-2015, 08:17 AM
Maybe I'm just a terrible person, but... Fuck that kid. I don't feel sorry for him, I feel contempt. You're surrounded by priceless, irreplaceable works of art. Watch where you're going. And if you should happen to trip, don't fucking put your hand out towards said works of art. Stupid little shit.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
26-08-2015, 08:33 AM
(26-08-2015 08:17 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Maybe I'm just a terrible person, but... Fuck that kid. I don't feel sorry for him, I feel contempt. You're surrounded by priceless, irreplaceable works of art. Watch where you're going. And if you should happen to trip, don't fucking put your hand out towards said works of art. Stupid little shit.

He's twelve. Calling him a "stupid little shit" is redundant. Tongue

Seriously though, I don't blame him. I'll laugh at women texting and falling into mall fountains all day long because they're adults and should know better, but my expectations for twelve year olds aren't that high. One of the functions of adults in society is preventing children from doing stupid things, so I blame the grown ups who let him walk around with a drink in his hand and didn't take more precautions to protect the painting.

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
26-08-2015, 09:11 AM
(26-08-2015 08:33 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(26-08-2015 08:17 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Maybe I'm just a terrible person, but... Fuck that kid. I don't feel sorry for him, I feel contempt. You're surrounded by priceless, irreplaceable works of art. Watch where you're going. And if you should happen to trip, don't fucking put your hand out towards said works of art. Stupid little shit.

He's twelve. Calling him a "stupid little shit" is redundant. Tongue

Seriously though, I don't blame him. I'll laugh at women texting and falling into mall fountains all day long because they're adults and should know better, but my expectations for twelve year olds aren't that high. One of the functions of adults in society is preventing children from doing stupid things, so I blame the grown ups who let him walk around with a drink in his hand and didn't take more precautions to protect the painting.

Reason # 5,352,467,940 why I am never having children. I have always had higher expectations of kids, even when I was a kid. I watched the other kids when I was growing up with contempt. And adults seem to forget that they actually are capable of independent thought. Growing up, a kid in my neighborhood shot arrows into several houses siding, causing thousands of dollars worth of damage. I was there when he did it, and he was fully aware of the damage he was causing. He was laughing and joking about it. But when the parents found out about it, they said "oh, he's only 13, he didn't really know what he was doing." Bull. Fucking. Shit.

And you don't have to be an adult to know you should protect something old and valuable. I was lent a very old and expensive bible when I was a kid. I was walking through the snow with it in my hands and slipped. In that split second, I had to decide whether to extend my hand (and the bible) out into a snow bank to stop my fall. Instead, because I wasn't a little fuck head, I took the fall and protected the book.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
26-08-2015, 09:41 AM
I guess I partially agree with you. I definitely wouldn't be as sympathetic if the kid had intentionally thrown his drink at the painting.

-Rowan Atkinson