This isn't funny any more...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2015, 08:18 AM
RE: This isn't funny any more...
(03-12-2015 07:54 AM)Walter Wrote:  From a St. Louis relative:
St. Louis faith leaders gather to send prayers to climate change summit in Paris
“It’s a moral and ethical issue,” she said. “The weakest and poorest have been suffering the most.”

The people who have been lecturing me for almost half a century about compassion for the poor now want them relegated to permanent status. I love reading about wealthy Westerners, with a lifestyle given to them by the Industrial Revolution, who cringe at the thought of poor people having access to clean water, a sewer system and refrigeration).

There is nothing more wonderful than secular religion. Sorry, I forgot. This is all about simple physics. Too funny.

http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/faith...fd82a.html

What, exactly, is your point? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
03-12-2015, 12:40 PM
(03-12-2015 08:16 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(02-12-2015 05:53 PM)cactus Wrote:  JeZeus Christ, our planet is doomed Facepalm

It pisses me off that Obama is the one going to these meetings, but he can't just pledge X dollars to help because he has to go to the Republican-led House and Senate to get that money. It's bad enough that a big chunk of them are science-denying mouth-breathers, but even still, they'll attach that money to other putrid agendas like defunding Planned Parenthood or some new batch of voter disenfranchisement laws.

The adults are sitting at the grown up table figuring out how we can fix this global problem, and the petulant children are throwing a tantrum that they don't like what's being served for dinner.

"Okay folks, our roof is getting old, and we need to figure out how to pay to fix it. We-"
"No it's not! And if you don't order me a cheese pizza, I'll burn the fucking house down!"

That's it in a nutshell. A nut's hell.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
07-12-2015, 07:39 AM
Another email. Borenstein.

The cold, hard numbers of science haven’t spurred the world to curb runaway global warming. So as climate negotiators struggle in Paris, some scientists who appealed to the rational brain are enlisting what many would consider a higher power: the majesty of faith.

http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/faith...76fbb.html

Now, this is funny. The majesty of faith. It kind of brings a tear to the eye. So now, atheists and scientists have to go to doG in an attempt to bring the idiots of the world around to their religious beliefs.

When will skeptics / secularists / atheists, whatever you want to be called, come to the conclusion that modern science deserves at least 1000 (10,000?) times the ridicule that fundamentalist Christians receive?

Let us pray. On an atheist web site. Too damn funny.
07-12-2015, 04:18 PM
(02-12-2015 05:56 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(02-12-2015 05:04 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  'Murica!

Australia is not much better, sadly.

It couldn't be as bad as the US. It just couldn't be.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
07-12-2015, 04:29 PM
(02-12-2015 02:02 PM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  I disagree. It's always funny.

I don't find it funny. Hitchens was right, religion poisons everything. Now while you have the right to laugh at it, and no, you cant purge the world of it, you DO and should take it seriously.

Don't just laugh about it, show up to the polls and get these guys out of office.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
07-12-2015, 06:35 PM
(07-12-2015 07:39 AM)Walter Wrote:  When will skeptics / secularists / atheists, whatever you want to be called, come to the conclusion that modern science deserves at least 1000 (10,000?) times the ridicule that fundamentalist Christians receive?

[Image: Religion+0618+(2).jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
07-12-2015, 07:43 PM
(02-12-2015 07:21 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(02-12-2015 06:46 PM)DerFish Wrote:  If one starts about 17 years ago the temps are still higher than 1950 but are indeed trending down since 1998 or so.

I have heard this too. However, not so in Australia. It is getting more dangerous to go out in the sun. Check this out.

Nevil Shute wrote a book shortly after WW2 called "A City Like Alice" or something like that in which he talked about spontaneous fires in Australia due to the heat. Do these still happen? I don't know, but am aware that if they do they are nothing new. Nevil Shute is best known for one book "On The Beach."
07-12-2015, 07:48 PM
Actually if the predictions made by the people of faith who believe in Global Warming do not come true, why keep on believing? Basically it has become as religion and the adherents thereof as hidebound as the other religions now extant.
07-12-2015, 08:07 PM
(07-12-2015 07:43 PM)DerFish Wrote:  
(02-12-2015 07:21 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I have heard this too. However, not so in Australia. It is getting more dangerous to go out in the sun. Check this out.

Nevil Shute wrote a book shortly after WW2 called "A City Like Alice" or something like that in which he talked about spontaneous fires in Australia due to the heat. Do these still happen? I don't know, but am aware that if they do they are nothing new. Nevil Shute is best known for one book "On The Beach."

A Town Like Alice

07-12-2015, 08:12 PM
(07-12-2015 07:48 PM)DerFish Wrote:  Actually if the predictions made by the people of faith who believe in Global Warming do not come true, why keep on believing? Basically it has become as religion and the adherents thereof as hidebound as the other religions now extant.

Predictions in science are probabilistic. It is not about believing, it is about concluding from evidence.

Do you even science? Facepalm

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post