This makes me feel sick

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-10-2012, 05:55 AM
RE: This makes me feel sick
(10-10-2012 08:04 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Oh comon son. This is 2012!, she wasn't even killed, how did this even make news? I thought there had to be a 25killed minimum standard before it even made news.

Newspapers often use such stories as an example of the total situation in an area. This makes a horrid, colorfull picture of the situation in the middle-east and Syria

Religion is a product of ignorance.
No offense.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-10-2012, 06:39 AM
Re: This makes me feel sick
Talib are not worth the cost of the food it takes to keep them living.
15-10-2012, 10:42 AM
In response to several recent posts:

Torture? Humiliation? Rape? Child Molesters?

Really?

There are only a few kinds of punishments for any crime:
1. Do something to correct the behavior but then let the person continue with their life and freedom, hopefully with better behavior now.
2. Incarcerate the person so that they are no longer able to commit crimes against those who remain free in society.
3. Execute the person so that they can never again commit any crimes.

That's it. That's all there is.

For number one, it's like getting a speeding ticket. You pay a fine, suffer the annoyance of losing money and time dealing with it, but you go free and hopefully you don't speed anymore, even if the only reason is that you prefer not having to pay more fines. Number 2 could be temporary, in which case it's just like a severe version of number 1, or permanent in which case it's like less-severe version of number 3. And number 3 is obvious, but many people shy away from it; it really should only be used in cases where the punishers are convinced that the criminal will never reform and become a safe member of society.

Ideally, for any of these to work, they need to be severe enough to get the point across.

Not just to the criminal, but to serve as examples to other criminals to "scare" them out of committing similar crimes because the punishment is so severe. This could be, possibly, where torturing a criminal might be useful. A quick death by lethal injection is still death, but a death by flogging is much more frightening. A 5-year prison sentence is scary, but a 5-year prison sentence with flogging is much more scary. Etc.

But nobody really wants to do it, so we in society take the easy way out, the "humane" way out, and refrain from the seriously severe stuff.

But, as a previous poster suggested, throwing young Taliban members into cages with child molesters is probably not humane enough for our modern sensibilities. Furthermore, I doubt anyone would suggest to sentence them to 3-5 years of torture then release them to run back to the Taliban and pick up where they left off, so we're not likely to be "reforming" them by this torture.

On the other hand, once other young Taliban members find out that this would be their fate, they might decide to stop being Taliban.

OK, probably not.

After all, we're talking about ideologies. Religious fanaticism. Probably all we would accomplish by such torture is to make them more angry and more secure in their beliefs and more determined to oppose us and destroy us.

Which means that we're back to basics. Number 1 won't work. Number 2 would really only work if we make it permanent. Number 3 is the big winner. Execute them and stop wasting resources on them - redirect all the money and manpower that would be wasted on incarcerating them to the more fruitful job of exterminating them. Of course, I'm talking about exterminating the militant Taliban who are using violence and aggression to oppress nations and cultures and enact terrorist regimes worldwide. Just them.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
15-10-2012, 12:26 PM
(15-10-2012 10:42 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Which means that we're back to basics. Number 1 won't work. Number 2 would really only work if we make it permanent. Number 3 is the big winner. Execute them and stop wasting resources on them - redirect all the money and manpower that would be wasted on incarcerating them to the more fruitful job of exterminating them. Of course, I'm talking about exterminating the militant Taliban who are using violence and aggression to oppress nations and cultures and enact terrorist regimes worldwide. Just them.

Assume sarcasm ? Hard to tell sometimes Dodgy

We are the militant Taliban, we are.