This makes me sick

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-10-2013, 04:03 PM
This makes me sick
http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/201...while.html

Women in El Salvador are being imprisoned for suspected abortion after having miscarriages.

As a woman who had a miscarriage at 14 weeks during a wanted pregnancy, this really makes me sick. I can't imagine being accused of intentionally killing my baby during that difficult time, let alone serving a ten year jail sentence as a result. A mother already feels guilt, and wonders what she did wrong. The answer is usually nothing. Miscarriages are common, just not talked about often.

I can't help but also think of the consequences that could arise for women who fear seeking medical attention when a miscarriage has occurred, for fear of prosecution.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Smercury44's post
21-10-2013, 04:14 PM
RE: This makes me sick
(21-10-2013 04:03 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/201...while.html

Women in El Salvador are being imprisoned for suspected abortion after having miscarriages.

As a woman who had a miscarriage at 14 weeks during a wanted pregnancy, this really makes me sick. I can't imagine being accused of intentionally killing my baby during that difficult time, let alone serving a ten year jail sentence as a result. A mother already feels guilt, and wonders what she did wrong. The answer is usually nothing. Miscarriages are common, just not talked about often.

I can't help but also think of the consequences that could arise for women who fear seeking medical attention when a miscarriage has occurred, for fear of prosecution.

At least this could never happen in America.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post
21-10-2013, 04:23 PM
(21-10-2013 04:14 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  At least this could never happen in America.

That case is a little different. Sounds like the mother was using meth during her pregnancy. If, and ONLY IF, it could be scientifically proven that her illegal drug use resulted in the death of the baby, I might agree with some legal recourse. Maybe not a murder charge.
21-10-2013, 05:23 PM
(21-10-2013 04:23 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(21-10-2013 04:14 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  At least this could never happen in America.

That case is a little different. Sounds like the mother was using meth during her pregnancy. If, and ONLY IF, it could be scientifically proven that her illegal drug use resulted in the death of the baby, I might agree with some legal recourse. Maybe not a murder charge.

So if it were alcohol abuse, would it be okay then? I'm not trying to put you on the spot here, it's just that the laws in question don't delineate all that clearly, and that's scary.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
21-10-2013, 05:23 PM
America has it's problems, but women here don't experience near the amount of opression found in other areas of the world. I feel lucky and guilty at the same time. Those poor women. No

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
21-10-2013, 05:25 PM
It is sickening

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
21-10-2013, 05:29 PM
(21-10-2013 05:23 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  So if it were alcohol abuse, would it be okay then? I'm not trying to put you on the spot here, it's just that the laws in question don't delineate all that clearly, and that's scary.

I agree, it is scary. On the issue of alcohol it gets into an even grayer area for me. Some doctors say one drink a day is fine, others say not one drink even once. I'd again refer back to whether or not it could be proven that the alcohol consumption directly caused death. And again, maybe not a murder charge, but some kind of legal recourse.
21-10-2013, 05:44 PM
Thank you reltzik for making me think about aspects of this topic on a deeper level than I had before. I've got a lot of thinking to do, this so far seems to be a complicated matter.

That being said, I still find the above story sickening based on the idea that this can happen when a mother did not knowingly try to harm her baby.
21-10-2013, 05:46 PM
(21-10-2013 05:23 PM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  America has it's problems, but women here don't experience near the amount of opression found in other areas of the world.

Yet.

The republicunts are working on it.

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
21-10-2013, 05:57 PM
(21-10-2013 05:46 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
(21-10-2013 05:23 PM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  America has it's problems, but women here don't experience near the amount of opression found in other areas of the world.

Yet.

The republicunts are working on it.

In the same way that a happy chihuahua somehow aids in achieving world peace, yes.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha