This may sound silly, but...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2012, 02:25 PM
RE: This may sound silly, but...
(23-08-2012 02:13 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Sounds like new age hogwash, no offense. Consider
I don't have the right terminology, just a raw hands-on experience. I think the right terms aren't yet coined and authorized by official scientific blessing. No wonder people wanting to describe these phenomena need to get a little creative and poetic. After all, atoms as we know them today are divisible and electrons aren't pieces of petrified resin.

Maybe the same thing that makes me unpleasantly over-sensitive to velvet materials also makes me sensitive enough to chakras and these fluidly-vaporous substances pouring through them, which people call "energies".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2012, 02:28 PM
I'm with Vosur. Sounds like a whole lotta woo.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
23-08-2012, 02:48 PM
Ok... I had this thought, and many of the kind.
Especially in my esotheric time I was sure > I KNEW that there are lots of other realms and physical planes.
I am very agnostic about this by now.
I know that most of the things, I thought were real, were really just delusion.

The one thing that I still have somewhere in the back of my head, in a hidden box is actually going in the direction of the OP.
Maybe there is other live on our level of intellegence but we are not able to communicate.
My approach is not, that it might be light or colors or so.
Mine goes this way, I know that we and most matter on earth and in this universe are made of O, H and C elements, right?
What if other life has other elements as a base for their existence?
Either in our universe but we just can't understand them and they can't understand us, because we are completely different in our very elements.
Or outside our universe, following a different set of physical laws, and it is simply not possible for us to meet and coexist in the same universe because of the physical laws...
Something along that...
I am not sure how to explain better, but I hope it makes ... some sense... ?

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-08-2012, 03:36 PM
(23-08-2012 02:48 PM)Leela Wrote:  Mine goes this way, I know that we and most matter on earth and in this universe are made of O, H and C elements, right?
What if other life has other elements as a base for their existence?
Either in our universe but we just can't understand them and they can't understand us, because we are completely different in our very elements.
Or outside our universe, following a different set of physical laws, and it is simply not possible for us to meet and coexist in the same universe because of the physical laws...
Something along that...
I am not sure how to explain better, but I hope it makes ... some sense... ?

There is a possibility that there are other types of basic elements that support life. Instead of carbon, why not silicon? But I would not go as far as to say that another plane of matter exists.

Now, here's a mind-bender: Is there a type of sense that we are unable to comprehend?

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
23-08-2012, 04:48 PM
(23-08-2012 03:36 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Now, here's a mind-bender: Is there a type of sense that we are unable to comprehend?

Magnetic fields. Why do homing pigeons get all the fun?

Also, our existing senses are limited. Cats can see much better in the dark. Hawks can see much further away. Dogs can hear things we never can. Oh, and sharks can smell blood from miles away. Then there's other sea creatures that detect electricity.

Keep in mind that we have more than 5 senses. And, no, I'm not talking woo.
23-08-2012, 04:56 PM
What be our sixth sense? Yar!

23-08-2012, 05:04 PM
(23-08-2012 04:56 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  What be our sixth sense? Yar!

Imagine yourself in a flotation tank, and what steps you'd need to take in order to remove all of your senses.

A sense of spatial awareness (commonly known as a sense of balance). You know up from down, even when blind.

Remove that along with the regular 5 senses and, in your darkened flotation tank, deafened and unaware of up from down... is there anything else that feeds the outside world into your brain? A sense of consciousness? Knowing that you're awake, rather than asleep?

For a further mind-fuck, imagine being born like that. Then try and imagine what sort of "person" you would be. What thoughts would you have, when your brain had nothing to work with?
23-08-2012, 05:08 PM
(23-08-2012 05:04 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 04:56 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  What be our sixth sense? Yar!

Imagine yourself in a flotation tank, and what steps you'd need to take in order to remove all of your senses.

A sense of spatial awareness (commonly known as a sense of balance). You know up from down, even when blind.

Remove that along with the regular 5 senses and, in your darkened flotation tank, deafened and unaware of up from down... is there anything else that feeds the outside world into your brain? A sense of consciousness? Knowing that you're awake, rather than asleep?

For a further mind-fuck, imagine being born like that. Then try and imagine what sort of "person" you would be. What thoughts would you have, when your brain had nothing to work with?

I was under the impression that the 5 senses were the traditional methods of perception and observation. Nowhere have I heard that our spatial awareness was among our senses.

A person born without the ability to convey any form of communication? There would be a ceaseless debate about whether or not that person could even be considered a human being.

23-08-2012, 05:56 PM
(23-08-2012 05:08 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 05:04 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  Imagine yourself in a flotation tank, and what steps you'd need to take in order to remove all of your senses.

I was under the impression that the 5 senses were the traditional methods of perception and observation. Nowhere have I heard that our spatial awareness was among our senses.

A person born without the ability to convey any form of communication? There would be a ceaseless debate about whether or not that person could even be considered a human being.

From QI:

Aristotle proposed five senses: sight, hearing, taste, smell, and touch. Modern physiologists subdivide the "touch" category into "tacticion", the sense of pressure perception, which is really what Aristotle was talking about, but also "thermoception", the sense of heat, "nociception", the perception of pain, and "equilibrioception", the perception of balance. Some add "proprioception", the perception of body awareness (eg if you close your eyes and move your hand about you continue to know where it is even though it isn't being perceived by any of the traditional senses). There are other candidates, eg the senses of hunger and thirst, and direction, so that the number suggested varies between 9 and 21.

There are also senses which some animals have but we don't: "electroception" detects electric fields, "magnetoception" detects magnetic fields and is used in avian navigation systems, "echolocation", the "lateral line" used by fish to sense pressure, and infra-red vision.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
23-08-2012, 05:58 PM
(23-08-2012 01:06 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  ...is it possible there are different planes of existence?

Ask HoC.

He lives there.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post