This may sound silly, but...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2012, 06:06 PM
RE: This may sound silly, but...
(23-08-2012 04:48 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 03:36 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Now, here's a mind-bender: Is there a type of sense that we are unable to comprehend?

Magnetic fields. Why do homing pigeons get all the fun?

Also, our existing senses are limited. Cats can see much better in the dark. Hawks can see much further away. Dogs can hear things we never can. Oh, and sharks can smell blood from miles away. Then there's other sea creatures that detect electricity.

Keep in mind that we have more than 5 senses. And, no, I'm not talking woo.

Yes, you are.Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
23-08-2012, 07:06 PM
(23-08-2012 06:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 04:48 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  Keep in mind that we have more than 5 senses. And, no, I'm not talking woo.

Yes, you are.Drinking Beverage

Nuh-uh-uh. See DLJ's post.
24-08-2012, 07:45 AM
(23-08-2012 05:56 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 05:08 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I was under the impression that the 5 senses were the traditional methods of perception and observation. Nowhere have I heard that our spatial awareness was among our senses.

A person born without the ability to convey any form of communication? There would be a ceaseless debate about whether or not that person could even be considered a human being.

From QI:

Aristotle proposed five senses: sight, hearing, taste, smell, and touch. Modern physiologists subdivide the "touch" category into "tacticion", the sense of pressure perception, which is really what Aristotle was talking about, but also "thermoception", the sense of heat, "nociception", the perception of pain, and "equilibrioception", the perception of balance. Some add "proprioception", the perception of body awareness (eg if you close your eyes and move your hand about you continue to know where it is even though it isn't being perceived by any of the traditional senses). There are other candidates, eg the senses of hunger and thirst, and direction, so that the number suggested varies between 9 and 21.

There are also senses which some animals have but we don't: "electroception" detects electric fields, "magnetoception" detects magnetic fields and is used in avian navigation systems, "echolocation", the "lateral line" used by fish to sense pressure, and infra-red vision.

Would it not be grounded in the sense of touch? If your nerves are severed, you wouldn't know where your arm was if your eyes were closed.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
Find all posts by this user
24-08-2012, 07:52 AM
(23-08-2012 07:06 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 06:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yes, you are.Drinking Beverage

Nuh-uh-uh. See DLJ's post.

There are more than our 5 senses extant in other species, but humans have 5.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
24-08-2012, 08:09 AM
Here are two more:

That sense of... someone standing behind you; aka Proximity Sense.

That sense of... "I have left something behind, dunno what... [2 hours pass]... fuck! I left my keys in the car!" This force is strong in me. If I feel it, I will always go back and check and I am always right.

24-08-2012, 08:12 AM
(24-08-2012 08:09 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Here are two more:

That sense of... "I have left something behind, dunno what... [2 hours pass]... fuck! I left my keys in the car!" This force is strong in me. If I feel it, I will always go back and check and I am always right.

Again, this is about your five senses. You wouldn't know the person is behind you unless you:

You feel a pressure/air flow change.
You smell the person.
You see the person.
You taste the person.
You hear the person.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
24-08-2012, 08:17 AM
(24-08-2012 07:52 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 07:06 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  Nuh-uh-uh. See DLJ's post.

There are more than our 5 senses extant in other species, but humans have 5.

Chas, I'm confused. Did you completely ignore DLJ's post? We have more than 5 senses.

The senses are the input mechanisms to the brain. This is done in more than 5 ways.
24-08-2012, 08:23 AM
(24-08-2012 08:12 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(24-08-2012 08:09 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Here are two more:

Again, this is about your five senses. You wouldn't know the person is behind you unless you:

You feel a pressure/air flow change.
You smell the person.
You see the person.
You taste the person.
You hear the person.

I knew someone was going to say that (I sensed it).

It's to do with spatial awareness... bit like knowing you can park your car in a small space... being aware (sensing) what is around you. Air pressure etc. helps to refine one's analysis but one can sense something inanimate behind one also.

24-08-2012, 08:29 AM
(24-08-2012 08:23 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I knew someone was going to say that (I sensed it).

It's to do with spatial awareness... bit like knowing you can park your car in a small space... being aware (sensing) what is around you. Air pressure etc. helps to refine one's analysis but one can sense something inanimate behind one also.
And your evidence for this is ... ? Consider

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
24-08-2012, 08:38 AM
(24-08-2012 08:29 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(24-08-2012 08:23 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I knew someone was going to say that (I sensed it).

And your evidence for this is ... ? Consider

Every time I sit down.