This may sound silly, but...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2012, 09:09 AM
RE: This may sound silly, but...
(24-08-2012 09:05 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(24-08-2012 09:01 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Sense of time?

Sense of time is an interesting one. If you were deprived of all of your other senses, would you be able to recognise the passage of time, with no landmarks against which to record it?

If you were born with no other senses, how would your (dormant) mind evaluate what time actually was? I like it. Brain Food™.

Of course, there is nothing to say that our senses can't be fooled / mistaken, or at least wemight analyse the data incorrectly.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-08-2012, 10:05 AM
(24-08-2012 09:00 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(24-08-2012 08:55 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  No need to get upset. The "senses" you have named are based among other senses. Chas is correct.

So, to return to my previous example, if you were in a flotation tank, deprived of your hearing... with the loss of your sense of touch... you're telling me that you wouldn't know up from down?

If you lacked all five physical senses, you would not know up from down. Your spacial orientation is dependent on fluids within your ears. As for time, this is an interesting one.

Time is dependent on how one perceives the order of events.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
24-08-2012, 10:14 AM
(24-08-2012 10:05 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  If you lacked all five physical senses

There are more than 5... but hey, if you're sticking with Aristotle, that's fine. You stay in the cheap seats and I'll be amongst everyone in the 21st century. Dodgy
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Red Celt's post
24-08-2012, 12:43 PM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2012 12:47 PM by Logica Humano.)
Equilibrioception, thermoception, proprioception, nociception, and chronoception are all dependent on the awareness provided by your five physical senses. But hey, be condescending. Drinking Beverage

Poonjab
24-08-2012, 12:58 PM
(24-08-2012 12:43 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Equilibrioception, thermoception, proprioception, nociception, and chronoception are all dependent on the awareness provided by your five physical senses. But hey, be condescending. Drinking Beverage

It isn't about condescension. It's about an awareness of the senses. If you're suggesting that our sense of balance depends upon (I assume) the sense of touch (as applied to the cochlea), then you must also dismiss the sense of hearing... as that involves the touching of the bones in the inner ear via the eardrum.

So you're arguing for 4 senses?

Then again, our sense of taste is heavily dependent upon our sense of smell. If you have a blocked nose (e.g. due to a cold), you can't taste your food.

So you're arguing for 3 senses?

What's it to be?

Regardless of whether or not our other senses depend upon the use of other sensory inputs, it is the concept of the transmission of input devices to the central processing unit that matters. In that regard, there are more than 5. Despite what Artistotle said.
[+] 1 user Likes Red Celt's post
24-08-2012, 01:14 PM
(24-08-2012 12:58 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(24-08-2012 12:43 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Equilibrioception, thermoception, proprioception, nociception, and chronoception are all dependent on the awareness provided by your five physical senses. But hey, be condescending. Drinking Beverage

It isn't about condescension. It's about an awareness of the senses. If you're suggesting that our sense of balance depends upon (I assume) the sense of touch (as applied to the cochlea), then you must also dismiss the sense of hearing... as that involves the touching of the bones in the inner ear via the eardrum.
I disagree, I think it was about it.

I stand corrected upon reading the wiki article about the matter. There are roughly 9 senses (though the number is still disputed) physical senses, with several internal ones as well.

Poonjab
24-08-2012, 01:14 PM
Ahhh, I love TTA for these conversations. This was a good read Thumbsup

I have felt temperature without touch, while being touched. It was a bit out of this world to feel, very cool!

I was given an epidural for my first born and when they went to test if I had the proper dosage, they put an ice cube on my leg. They asked me if I felt it, and I said no and then I felt really really cold on the spot, but no 'feeling'. It was neat and scary at the same time!
24-08-2012, 01:16 PM
(24-08-2012 01:14 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Ahhh, I love TTA for these conversations. This was a good read Thumbsup

I have felt temperature without touch, while being touched. It was a bit out of this world to feel, very cool!

I was given an epidural for my first born and when they went to test if I had the proper dosage, they put an ice cube on my leg. They asked me if I felt it, and I said no and then I felt really really cold on the spot, but no 'feeling'. It was neat and scary at the same time!

This has to do with your sensory nerves and perception. I feel as though my appendages are cold when they are numbed at first, but the feeling gradually wears off and it is left completely useless.

Poonjab
24-08-2012, 01:19 PM
(24-08-2012 01:14 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I stand corrected upon reading the wiki article about the matter. There are roughly 9 senses (though the number is still disputed) physical senses, with several internal ones as well.

I think this message sums up why I'm here on TTA and also contrasts with recent theist's threads.
"I read the evidence and I have changed my stance" vs. "I doesn't matter what you say, I believe what I believe".

Cheers mate.

I feel less depressed now Thumbsup

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
24-08-2012, 01:27 PM
(24-08-2012 12:58 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  Regardless of whether or not our other senses depend upon the use of other sensory inputs, it is the concept of the transmission of input devices to the central processing unit that matters. In that regard, there are more than 5. Despite what Artistotle said.

I like your definition (or metaphor) of senses as input devices to the CPU brain. After that, it starts to become a matter of classification and decomposition.

I've always thought of the kinesthetic (balance, temperature, etc.) senses as just being specific instances of the 'touch' device class. But I am not wedded to that. You want to break them up into more senses, fine.

But there are perceptions that are brain/mind integrations of the sensory data and I wouldn't call these senses in the same sense as the input device senses. For instance, the 'sense' that there is someone behind you. I just don't see it as useful to mix the two things.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post