This may sound silly, but...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2012, 01:49 PM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2012 01:55 PM by kim.)
RE: This may sound silly, but...
(24-08-2012 09:01 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Sense of time?
Sense of balance?

Does his help?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sense

Interesting. Considering this kind of information mostly about motion sense, I would certainly have to think that instead of 5, there must be at least ~6 senses. But still objectively ... Wink but possibly only until I read and consider further...

I still have to think that most of the "other" senses seem to be subtle attributes which feed into our ~6 main senses. Just as there are different "kinds" of sense systems, I think there are "degrees" of sensory systems, and some are just more subtle than others. For example, many of these "other" senses seem to have a lot to do with the vestibular labyrinthine system - the inner ear.

In a way, our senses are simply source gathering systems for our higher functioning nerve systems - like our brains. Unless we really focus, we have a tendency to overlook the very subtle ones, while we react fairly normally to the mid-range ones like smell, sight, etc.,. I think the subtle senses feed into a sort of mid-level or mid-range sense, and from there feed up through another level of subtle and mid-range senses which might act on another area of the body entirely.

Once something feeds from our subtle gathering senses, it hits our mid-range senses and then we might react. We pay little attention to where it goes from there, but it may be heading to a system that is also a more subtle one. An example which might illustrate what I mean, might be vertigo. I have a friend who can't play a video game called Sonic Hedge Hog because he will puke. He's not moving at all, he's only watching something else move.... yet he experiences motion sickness.

Does any of this make sense. Tongue Or should I just relegate it to the drunken rambling thread?

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-08-2012, 02:27 PM
5 senses, 6 senses, 13 senses...I'm the only living person in the world and all of you are dead people.

That's all there is to it.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-08-2012, 02:35 PM
Along the lines of this whole discussion, I highly recommend this film. I watched it without knowing what it was about... to get the most out of it, I'd recommend that you do the same.

Trailers can be spoilers.

[Image: MV5BMTk3MjYwMjkzOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTE1...SY317_.jpg]
29-08-2012, 02:25 PM
I was under the impression that these other senses we think we have are really connected with our five senses.

If you sense someone is behind you then you have tactile sense as well as your ears (which can pick up subtle changes in air pressure).
Intuition is nothing more than your brain processing information form all your senses and relaying only the absolute pertinent stuff without you consciously being aware of it.

Anyways...as to the original post...I have sometimes pondered if there are other "dimensions" inherent in our universe. Perhaps there are realities that exist on a different level of frequency but are every bit as solid to them as our is for us.
Perhaps there are worlds in existence that overlay our own yet we could somehow visit them with no harm to our own selves.

Sounds interesting. Of course it opens up the door to a whole slew of possibilities that were once just considered fantasy. I like the idea but..liking it doesn't make it true.

Maybe science can realistically explore it without all the woo that has been creeping up lately.

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return.
To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
That is Alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange.
30-08-2012, 12:25 PM (This post was last modified: 30-08-2012 12:30 PM by Luminon.)
(29-08-2012 02:25 PM)Dragon-Wolf Wrote:  Anyways...as to the original post...I have sometimes pondered if there are other "dimensions" inherent in our universe. Perhaps there are realities that exist on a different level of frequency but are every bit as solid to them as our is for us.
Perhaps there are worlds in existence that overlay our own yet we could somehow visit them with no harm to our own selves.

Sounds interesting. Of course it opens up the door to a whole slew of possibilities that were once just considered fantasy. I like the idea but..liking it doesn't make it true.

Maybe science can realistically explore it without all the woo that has been creeping up lately.
There is about 5 times as much dark matter in our universe as our matter. This is the first place to look for a parallel world.

However, string theory predicts other dimensions. People say these dimensions are microscopic, but do they have to be, really? What about the strings, within the fundamental particles? What if these microscopic dimensions only apply to the strings within them?
In such a case these string properties could just as well define a way, in which material particles ride a basic n-dimensional space, instead of conjuring other universes for 3-dimensional particles as we know them to move in.

We see the world in such an illusory way, because we're made of matter that uses only 3 spatial dimensions of the true universe, the strings in our particles vibrate along these 3 dimensions.
By this line of reasoning, dark matter is basically the same thing, the strings of these particles vibrate in the same way, only more so. More loosely, with greater amplitude, whatever description fits. (as if I haven't blasphemed against mathemathics and physics enough) There are a few principles of physics that cause atoms made of such particles bigger and more massive and as I said, less likely to interact with our atoms. They could be described as a subtler and more stable variety of our matter. Theoretically, dark matter might naturally preserve super-heavy elements that we know only as artificial.

But a true matter of other dimensions, that is, more dimensions than ours, that's something different. There will be the same laws of physics, only applied in a different way, on a matter that can interact in more dimensions than just three. That would be something to see.
These are times I wish I was a super-intelligent genius educated in mathemathics and physics, so I could put my ideas in into a language of numbers, or at least inspire someone who can do math.

One of the few people I saw so far to stumble upon something like that was Dr. Benjamin Philip, but I think he's mostly off the mark. He mixes together the proverbial apples and pears, that is, dark matter and a hypothetical matter of other dimensions, on the basis of axion physics.

30-08-2012, 12:27 PM
sorry, double post

30-08-2012, 12:39 PM
(30-08-2012 12:25 PM)Luminon Wrote:  
(29-08-2012 02:25 PM)Dragon-Wolf Wrote:  Anyways...as to the original post...I have sometimes pondered if there are other "dimensions" inherent in our universe. Perhaps there are realities that exist on a different level of frequency but are every bit as solid to them as our is for us.

There is about 5 times as much dark matter in our universe as our matter. This is the first place to look for a parallel world.

However, string theory predicts other dimensions. People say these dimensions are microscopic, but do they have to be, really? What about the strings, within the fundamental particles? What if these microscopic dimensions only apply to the strings within them?
In such a case these string properties could just as well define a way, in which material particles ride a basic n-dimensional space, instead of conjuring other universes for 3-dimensional particles as we know them to move in.

We see the world in such an illusory way, because we're made of matter that uses only 3 spatial dimensions of the true universe, the strings in our particles vibrate along these 3 dimensions.
By this line of reasoning, dark matter is basically the same thing, the strings of these particles vibrate in the same way, only more so. More loosely, with greater amplitude, whatever description fits. (as if I haven't blasphemed against mathemathics and physics enough) There are a few principles of physics that cause atoms made of such particles bigger and more massive and as I said, less likely to interact with our atoms. They could be described as a subtler and more stable variety of our matter. Theoretically, dark matter might naturally preserve super-heavy elements that we know only as artificial.

But a true matter of other dimensions, that is, more dimensions than ours, that's something different. There will be the same laws of physics, only applied in a different way, on a matter that can interact in more dimensions than just three. That would be something to see.
These are times I wish I was a super-intelligent genius educated in mathemathics and physics, so I could put my ideas in into a language of numbers, or at least inspire someone who can do math.

One of the few people I saw so far to stumble upon something like that was Dr. Benjamin Philip, but I think he's mostly off the mark. He mixes together the proverbial apples and pears, that is, dark matter and a hypothetical matter of other dimensions, on the basis of axion physics.

Well stated, though I have a couple of quibbles.

String theory does not predict other dimensions, it posits them. That is, they are currently untestable ideas.

It would be more correct to say "We may see the world in such an illusory way".

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Bug Don't be silly, it wasn't god. Aliens did it. Adenosis 18 1,292 20-02-2013 11:24 PM
Last Post: Drunkin Druid