This one scares me

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2014, 02:38 AM
This one scares me
"According to a video from my class the big bang and string theories are philosophical theories and can't be proven"................This is a text I got from someone after they watched a video for a nursing class......scares me!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2014, 03:56 AM
RE: This one scares me
It could be a factual correct statement in that there is a video that claims that.

Ask if there were any rebuttals to that position.

No doubt someone has already explained that the former qualifies as a theory but the latter does not (yet, it's not been developed that far).

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
04-02-2014, 04:50 AM
XKCD has something to say about science and the Big Bang theory:

[Image: science.jpg]

Science, it works bitches!
[+] 1 user Likes Elder Cunningham's post
04-02-2014, 05:00 AM
The text said "can't be proven" rather than "no proof yet exists".

"Can't be proven" may mean "can't yet be proven", or it may mean that it is impossible to prove. That's an important distinction to a scientist because it determines whether or not the theory or hypothesis is falsifiable and therefore scientifically valid. To a theist it's one and the same.

But to counter this, the evidence for the big bang and even string theory still outweighs both the quality and quantity of evidence for a God.

The big bang theory and string theory are both derived from observations whereas faith is derived from indoctrination.

There is also the follow up question, at what point does the evidence become so overwhelming that both sides in a debate can agree that a theory has been proven correct?
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
05-02-2014, 08:40 PM
Infrared background radiation is an observable to prove big bang experimentally pretty much. And also, the big bang theory allows for predictions which can be tested experimentally. When you can successfully predict things, it means the theory is pretty solid. Like the theory of gravity. Because of that, nobody disagrees that at some point of time all matter was concentrated at one "point".

There are observations and measurements, which lead to the theoretical formulation of the string theory (therefore it also qualifies as a theory). However, the nature of String theory doesn't allow for predictions that can be tested experimentally (to the best of my knowledge).

To understand these two theories, it takes study and intelligence (I have very little to no clue what the string theory is, actually). If people do not have the necessary education, I think it is quite natural for them to fall back to the "god did it" explanation.

My message is that most people do not recognize prediction as proof for a theory. But it is. If a theory can accurately predict things with a close to 100% success rate, you better believe that that theory is true.

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
05-02-2014, 08:48 PM
(04-02-2014 02:38 AM)garyb65 Wrote:  "According to a video from my class the big bang and string theories are philosophical theories and can't be proven"................This is a text I got from someone after they watched a video for a nursing class......scares me!

Yer friend's video is wrong and probably outdated due to budget cutbacks. They already have conducted thousands of tests in the 21st century..

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
05-02-2014, 09:00 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2014 10:54 PM by GirlyMan.)
(04-02-2014 02:38 AM)garyb65 Wrote:  "According to a video from my class the big bang and string theories are philosophical theories and can't be proven"

I think if you change the wording to "the big bang and string theories are scientific theories and can't be proven." it's a true but banal statement. Scientific theories are supported by evidence and as such necessarily can't be proven since they are always amenable to change and modification subject to additional evidence. That's kinda the difference between science and religion. And proofs are overrated.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.