This or That

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
23-04-2010, 10:32 AM

RE: This or That
4x4!

da Vinci or Einstein?
(23-04-2010 10:27 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Broadsword.

South Park or The Simpsons?

This is too hard man!
Quote this message in a reply
23-04-2010, 10:51 AM
Einstein. da Vinci was cool, and certainly a genius, but Einstein's work formed the basis of the Manhattan Project. Without it, WWII would have been a lot longer and a lot bloodier.

Water or soda?

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-04-2010, 11:03 AM
(23-04-2010 10:51 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Einstein. da Vinci was cool, and certainly a genius, but Einstein's work formed the basis of the Manhattan Project. Without it, WWII would have been a lot longer and a lot bloodier.

Tell that to the victims of Hiroshima and Nagasaki...

All learning is quite useless if you haven't learned to question what you learn.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-04-2010, 11:19 AM
(23-04-2010 11:03 AM)Juppers Wrote:  
(23-04-2010 10:51 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Einstein. da Vinci was cool, and certainly a genius, but Einstein's work formed the basis of the Manhattan Project. Without it, WWII would have been a lot longer and a lot bloodier.

Tell that to the victims of Hiroshima and Nagasaki...

What about them?

Don't get me wrong. The Manhattan Project created a terrible weapon, and the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were both horrific. But the decision to drop the bomb was not made lightly or without good reason.
The Japanese were prepared to fight to the death. The American forces were preparing to invade Japan for bloody, hand-to-hand fighting all the way to the Emperor's palace. The bomb was dropped in a last-ditch effort to avert the months of bloodshed that remained. The people of those cities died, yes, but the bombings saved hundreds of thousands more lives - the Japanese surrendered, thus sparing both sides from further combat.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
23-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Yes but those were mostly civilians that died in the bombings, and it wasn't just the ones that died, but also the ones that were maimed and the hundreds of thousands that developed cancer because of the radiations. Hand-to-hand fighting would have involved soldiers against soldiers, that is, people who were trained to fight, kill and be killed, who assumed some risks and responsibilities, and not innocent ones who had nothing to do with that war. They were not to blame for Japan's Imperial tyranny, they were nothing but ordinary people going about their business who suffered the consequences of the decisions their rulers made in their name. Of course, they weren't the first civilians to be killed in war, yet I find it hard to believe there couldn't have been a better alternative, with less casualties involved.

All learning is quite useless if you haven't learned to question what you learn.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-04-2010, 11:58 AM

(23-04-2010 11:38 AM)Juppers Wrote:  Yes but those were mostly civilians that died in the bombings, and it wasn't just the ones that died, but also the ones that were maimed and the hundreds of thousands that developed cancer because of the radiations. Hand-to-hand fighting would have involved soldiers against soldiers, that is, people who were trained to fight, kill and be killed, who assumed some risks and responsibilities, and not innocent ones who had nothing to do with that war. They were not to blame for Japan's Imperial tyranny, they were nothing but ordinary people going about their business who suffered the consequences of the decisions their rulers made in their name. Of course, they weren't the first civilians to be killed in war, yet I find it hard to believe there couldn't have been a better alternative, with less casualties involved.

I have to agree.. if their intention was to show off the weapon they could have used it someplace where it would not have killed so many civilians.

Water or soda?

Water, cause soda can get old sometimes.

Black or White?
23-04-2010, 01:20 PM
(23-04-2010 11:38 AM)Juppers Wrote:  Yes but those were mostly civilians that died in the bombings

Civilians would have died in the battles.

Quote:and it wasn't just the ones that died, but also the ones that were maimed and the hundreds of thousands that developed cancer because of the radiations.

Again, I never denied that it was a bad thing. But it did prevent months of bloody hand-to-hand fighting.

Quote:Hand-to-hand fighting would have involved soldiers against soldiers, that is, people who were trained to fight, kill and be killed, who assumed some risks and responsibilities, and not innocent ones who had nothing to do with that war.

No. Japanese civilians in WWII were also told to fight. They wouldn't have abandoned the cities: they would have stayed and tried to kill the Americans.

23-04-2010, 08:26 PM

Black, it's the much better shade.

Pizza or calzone?
23-04-2010, 08:29 PM
Pizza, it's the original and requires no folding

Rice or Cous Cous?

23-04-2010, 08:41 PM
Rice. I had cous cous once. Didn't like it.

Chinese or Japanese food?

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!