This or That

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
28-04-2010, 09:52 AM
RE: This or That
(28-04-2010 09:39 AM)Ceryle Wrote:  ...your question is a contradiction.

In what way?

Quote:Um...I suppose I would choose the eventful and long life

That wasn't an option! Tongue

All learning is quite useless if you haven't learned to question what you learn.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2010, 09:53 AM

That's my point, I don't think there can be an uneventful long life; thus the contradiction. ^_^
Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2010, 09:59 AM
(28-04-2010 09:53 AM)Ceryle Wrote:  That's my point, I don't think there can be an uneventful long life; thus the contradiction. ^_^

I'm pretty sure it can, if you live your life in an automated fashion, of the type home-to-school-and-back, which later becomes home-to-work-and-back, never have a romantic/sexual relationship, keep social contacts to a minimum, have no hobbies or interests, and live in one place for your entire life, without traveling anywhere. Impossible? I don't think so.

All learning is quite useless if you haven't learned to question what you learn.
28-04-2010, 10:02 AM

Yes, but with such a bland background to work from, anything that you might encounter on a day to day basis, would appear as an extreme form of interaction.
28-04-2010, 10:05 AM
(28-04-2010 10:02 AM)Ceryle Wrote:  Yes, but with such a bland background to work from, anything that you might encounter on a day to day basis, would appear as an extreme form of interaction.

Such as?

28-04-2010, 10:08 AM

A butterfly flying in front of oneself, a car crash, a shocking death, a birth, something changing at work, something occurring within ones body, such as a disease, or a change in thought. Learning something new...anything.
28-04-2010, 10:13 AM
I know from experience that some people can be utterly 'blind' to such events. They wouldn't notice a butterfly, or a birth, or death, or change, or even their own disease. It's the consequence of a mind-benumbing way of life.

28-04-2010, 10:24 AM

Well, if we are to take the stance that the individual in question, is effectively a mindless slave to tasks, then yes, I will entirely agree with you. On the other hand, such an individual would not be me, or you, either way; it would be something else.
28-04-2010, 10:42 AM
Of course, but the point I was trying to make is that it is possible to lead an uneventful life. You might say that you would not be that 'mindless slave to the task', but the question was asked hypothetically, that is, if you were to choose between these two alternatives, what would you rather have, a long uneventful life, or a short but exciting one? I can, however, see the paradox here.

Anyway, maybe it's time to put an end to the debate, or perhaps take it to another thread, as this one has a different purpose attached to it.

28-04-2010, 10:44 AM

True; if you'd like feel free to set up a thread devoted to this, or anything else that you'd like and I'll be there; otherwise, back to this....or that...hehehe. ^_^

Black olives, or green olives?