This pissed me off

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2012, 07:23 PM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2012 07:28 PM by ghostexorcist.)
This pissed me off
For centuries, overzealous Christians have been known to bust into the rooms of dying atheists in the hopes of getting last minute deathbed conversions. It became such a problem that people had to be posted outside the room or around the bed to keep such assholes out. Some atheists even wrote blasphemous letters openly rejecting Jesus as their savior. These were then published in local gazetteers after their deaths to ward off any false claims of conversion. However, not everyone had the luxury to do so, like those dying in a hospital. Prior to standardized medicine, people often went to hospitals to die, so Christians frequented these places in the hopes of getting converts. The significance of this will be explained further below.

I am currently taking a class on western art history. The Italian and Flemish art of the 13th-15th centuries were primarily religious in nature since only churches had the kind of cash to commission such works. One piece that we looked at today was called the “Last Judgment Altarpiece” by Rogier van der Weyden (1434). It was painted for the chapel of the Hotel-Diu, a hospital in Beaune, France. The altarpiece is a triptych, meaning it is comprised of three parts: the main body and two hinged wings. This is what it looks like with the wings folded shut:

[Image: lastjudgmentaltarpiece1.jpg]

This is what it looks like opened:

The scene is of course the Last Judgment, when Jesus judges the souls of mankind to see who is worthy of the kingdom of heaven. An archangel weighs the souls Egyptian style, and those judged go to either heaven (bottom left) or hell (bottom right).

What pisses me off about this thing is that it was paraded before the dying patients 3 times a day in what they called the “Mass of the Dead.” The patients were obviously in a vulnerable state, so beholding scenes of people being tortured in hell probably scared the shit out of them. What seems more pleasant to you? This…

…or this?

My professor referred to it as a “death bed conversion tool.” Can you imagine being a French peasant dying from some horrible injury or disease, and then have this thing rammed in your face three times a day? And on top of that have some guy telling you that you will burn in hell if you don't convert? It's totally sickening!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-01-2012, 07:40 PM
RE: This pissed me off
(17-01-2012 07:23 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  For centuries, overzealous Christians have been known to bust into the rooms of dying atheists in the hopes of getting last minute deathbed conversions. It became such a problem that people had to be posted outside the room or around the bed to keep such assholes out. Some atheists even wrote blasphemous letters openly rejecting Jesus as their savior. These were then published in local gazetteers after their deaths to ward off any false claims of conversion. However, not everyone had the luxury to do so, like those dying in a hospital. Prior to standardized medicine, people often went to hospitals to die, so Christians frequented these places in the hopes of getting converts. The significance of this will be explained further below.

I am currently taking a class on western art history. The Italian and Flemish art of the 13th-15th centuries were primarily religious in nature since only churches had the kind of cash to commission such works. One piece that we looked at today was called the “Last Judgment Altarpiece” by Rogier van der Weyden (1434). It was painted for the chapel of the Hotel-Diu, a hospital in Beaune, France. The altarpiece is a triptych, meaning it is comprised of three parts: the main body and two hinged wings. This is what it looks like with the wings folded shut:

This is what it looks like opened:

The scene is of course the Last Judgment, when Jesus judges the souls of mankind to see who is worthy of the kingdom of heaven. An archangel weighs the souls Egyptian style, and those judged go to either heaven (bottom left) or hell (bottom right).

What pisses me off about this thing is that it was paraded before the dying patients 3 times a day in what they called the “Mass of the Dead.” The patients were obviously in a vulnerable state, so beholding scenes of people being tortured in hell probably scared the shit out of them. What seems more pleasant to you? This…

…or this?

My professor referred to it as a “death bed conversion tool.” Can you imagine being a French peasant dying from some horrible injury or disease, and then have this thing rammed in your face three times a day? And on top of that have some guy telling you that you will burn in hell if you don't convert? It's totally sickening!

Angry This epitomises a really nasty aspect of so called Christianity; in some cases a glass of a nembutal cocktail would have been kind and far preferable to this garbage
Find all posts by this user
17-01-2012, 08:03 PM
That's horrible. Why don't they show pictures like these? these are way, way more comforting.

[Image: funny-animals.jpg]

[Image: funny+animals+with+funny+sayings+3.jpg]

Not related to death? THAT'S THE POINT.

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
[+] 3 users Like robotworld's post
17-01-2012, 08:04 PM
Do you have to quote the whole post with all its huge pictures? Tongue
[+] 3 users Like Ben's post
17-01-2012, 08:44 PM
Love the squirrel pic! Smile

How dare the bastards prey on someone on their deathbed! They're not getting me, I can tell you that Dodgy

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 5 users Like aurora's post
17-01-2012, 10:55 PM
(17-01-2012 08:44 PM)aurora2020 Wrote:  Love the squirrel pic! Smile

How dare the bastards prey on someone on their deathbed! They're not getting me, I can tell you that Dodgy

It was like... quite a while ago. And ye average Frenche paysan was probably already a Catholic anyway - good tool for making sure they were paid up with their church subscriptions though Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
18-01-2012, 12:11 AM

Oh boy.... let me tell ya... no God, no Jesus or Mohammad or anything is going to save the fucker that comes in on my deathbed and trys a last minute convert.

If there is any day of my life that I should murder another human being.. that will be the day. Death bed or not.. I will at least try.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
18-01-2012, 02:02 AM
Thumbs Up RE: This pissed me off
(18-01-2012 12:11 AM)ddrew Wrote:  

Oh boy.... let me tell ya... no God, no Jesus or Mohammad or anything is going to save the fucker that comes in on my deathbed and trys a last minute convert.

If there is any day of my life that I should murder another human being.. that will be the day. Death bed or not.. I will at least try.

I hear that! Uh-huh

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
18-01-2012, 02:56 AM
Angry GRRrrrrr.
******* Dodgy
Actually, not really. I wouldn't mind seeing that shit in person. But thanks - I now have the opened piece all across my desktop. Smile

I'm kinda with Morondogy on this - it was a long time ago, many were Catholic and those who weren't... well, they probably died laughing at having fooled the idiots by pretending a conversion. Don't worry, they got the last laugh, and at least they got to die in a nicer hospital bed instead of their dark, damp, rat & flea infested house. It is shitty... in a lot of ways, things could have been so different.
Look at history from the perspective of the time it happened, not from your time -it can help you make sense of who, what, when, where, & why.
Dodgy
Because of religion and religious practices, a lot of history shouldn't have happened the way it did. Let's help to make sure it doesn't repeat itself. Never neglect your studies -education is the only way to make anything happen. Smile

That is a really nice piece, by the way. Just look how far that's come since Giotto - or Byzantine shit!
Have you checked out the Ghent Alter piece, yet? Sweet; the detail is quite amazing -exquisite really.
Don't worry - once you get to Tintoretto, you realize many artists are only phoning a lot of shit in. With JL David, you'll start getting into more the allegorical, then dealing more with the psychological, and human nature of being and pulling away from religious intent. Once you hit the symbolists... religious work pops up, here and there, but it's modern all the way. Still, religious work is extremely important to the history of modern art.
So, suck it up and soak it up.
And when you get to mid 20th century, make sure you badger your professor about painter Matta Echaurren. Wink
Enjoy.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
18-01-2012, 06:49 PM
Unfortunetely, those were the times. I certainly hope a practice as horrible as that are never exercised again. Even if you did believe in that stuff would you really want to look at other people suffering in addition to yourself?