This should be interesting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-05-2013, 11:48 PM
RE: This should be interesting
(10-05-2013 11:46 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  
(10-05-2013 11:26 PM)Egor Wrote:  I love this time of night. I'm alone in my office, there's ground fog. It's still, and if you let the dogs out to pee you can hear the frogs and the crickets, and the moss hangs from the trees. It's a moonless night. The moon doesn't rise until the morning. It's midnight in the wetlands of Louisiana. The spiritual energies are everywhere. It's the witching hour, and I'm doing what I love: I'm staring at a persons chart.

You know, I'm never going back to religion. Not ever.

I'm going to light a candle.

So much ceremony and atmosphere. I'm a sucker for atmosphere, too. I don't even mind that I know that that is all it is.

I'm totally the same way!

The sun rises in the West and the bird shits on the coffeetable.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2013, 02:33 AM
You got this guy's stuff off and astrology website ? Might he not be listed there simply *because* if you follow all the methodology his chart comes up pretty close to what he actually is ?

So you have

Birthday, other random stuff -> Astrological Chart

Astrological Chart predicts character traits.

And this guy happens to fall into the subset of guys who's character traits actually do match up pretty well to their charts. Just a thought.

Plus a priori you know he's a celeb. Hardly anyone gets to be a celeb apart from showbiz, ergo, creativity and all that shit is pretty much a given without even looking at the chart.

How much of astrological charting is within your control, and how much is rigidly defined ? Is there an agreed upon standard that says if X (e.g. Sun was in the seventh house or whatever you crazy woo magicians say) then Y (e.g. never be lucky in love) and no two ways about it, or are there competing standards, or is it thumbsuck all the way ?
11-05-2013, 04:07 AM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2013 04:11 AM by Hafnof.)
Egor,

Now count the hits and the misses, and write those numbers down. Then do another series of random charts and see how many hits in misses they have for the same person. Write the numbers down and compare the hit and miss rate of the actual chart versus the random chart. Repeat this experiment a few times with different people.

If possible, take the claims from each chart and have someone else who doesn't know which ones are from the real chart and which are from the random charts. Let them be the ones who count the hits and the misses to minimise bias.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
11-05-2013, 07:09 AM
People can do their own here for free.....

http://astro.cafeastrology.com/cgi-bin/astro/natal

For me personally when I did my own, sure I can see somethings that match my personality but there are also parts that are not like me.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
11-05-2013, 09:04 AM
(10-05-2013 05:06 PM)Egor Wrote:  I have to do a sample natal chart for my website. So, I picked a celebrity I've never heard of before from an astrology site, and I was able to highlight and select his birth info and print it without seeing his bio, and I've never heard of this guy before. I have no idea what he's famous for.

So, I'm going to do his chart, and then I'm going to see how close I was.

This should be interesting.

Of course, it won't do any good for me to tell you how it went, unless I fail completely, because if I succeed or get fairly close you'd never be able to confirm I didn't cheat. But it should be interesting--for me. Yes

It is difficult to conceive of anything less interesting. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
11-05-2013, 10:50 AM

(10-05-2013 11:44 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  So, what if I gave you a name of someone I know in my real life? Could you chart them and compare notes after?

I suppose so, but I would need to know their birthdate, birth time, location of their birth, gender, and ethnicity, it also helps to now the general area of where they are living (like I live in the southeastern U.S.). Granted, I don't know where this celebrity I'm doing lives at this time, but that's not such a big deal with the celebrity class.

Having said that, I currently charge for a natal chart interpretation. I don't do them for free. I'm doing this celebrity because I need to get my system back up and running, and I need a sample for my website.

(10-05-2013 11:46 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  So much ceremony and atmosphere. I'm a sucker for atmosphere, too. I don't even mind that I know that that is all it is.

There are times and places where I feel more or less spiritual energies. I have traveled a great deal and I can tell you I felt nothing at the ruined castles I went to when I lived in England, nothing at Stonehenge, but I felt a great deal at some more lesser-known places: Avebury, England, and Ship Rock, near Farmington, New Mexico.

I like to work at night, and I like to do intuitive work at night with a candle or two going. The manual labor of doing a chart, I like to do in the daytime with lots of light, and talk radio going. Cool
Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2013, 11:00 AM

(11-05-2013 02:33 AM)morondog Wrote:  Plus a priori you know he's a celeb. Hardly anyone gets to be a celeb apart from showbiz, ergo, creativity and all that shit is pretty much a given without even looking at the chart.

That's true. But having said that, his chart really does show a strong propensity for artistic endeavors, and I would have said that no matter who's chart it was. Aquarius dominates his fifth house. There's almost no other way to interpret that. It's the round peg for a round hole.

Quote:How much of astrological charting is within your control, and how much is rigidly defined ? Is there an agreed upon standard that says if X (e.g. Sun was in the seventh house or whatever you crazy woo magicians say)

What is it about being an atheist makes you have to insult other people and their beliefs? What is that? I mean, do you develop that as an atheist, or is it because you're that way that you become an atheist in the first place? I mean, some people become right-wing Bible-believing Christians just so they can hate other people that are not. Is that how it is with atheism, too? I mean, you insult when you don't even have to. You're not defending yourself--you're just being hostile.

Well, here's a new rule for Egor. If I read a post, I stop at the insult. I don't answer questions, and I don't take up debate. If I'm rude to you, then you can be rude back, but you don't get to use me as a punching bag any more to work out your issues on, not and have me respond to you at the same time, anyway.
[+] 1 user Likes Egor's post
11-05-2013, 11:02 AM

(11-05-2013 04:07 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Egor,

Now count the hits and the misses, and write those numbers down. Then do another series of random charts and see how many hits in misses they have for the same person. Write the numbers down and compare the hit and miss rate of the actual chart versus the random chart. Repeat this experiment a few times with different people.

If possible, take the claims from each chart and have someone else who doesn't know which ones are from the real chart and which are from the random charts. Let them be the ones who count the hits and the misses to minimise bias.

Why?
11-05-2013, 11:09 AM

(11-05-2013 07:09 AM)bemore Wrote:  People can do their own here for free.....

http://astro.cafeastrology.com/cgi-bin/astro/natal

For me personally when I did my own, sure I can see somethings that match my personality but there are also parts that are not like me.

Well, yeah, you used a computer-generated report. That's why those things are free. I have developed my own "keywords." The intuitive part of astrology is knowing which keywords fit. For instance the moon can mean emotion, mother, instincts, habits, maternity, womb, emotional needs, et. al.

If the moon is sitting in your second house, does that mean you have emotional problems associated with greed, or does it mean you need to feel secure through hording, etc. A computer can't tell you that. A computer can't ...what is the word...signify? Yes, I think that's the difference between a computer and an astrologer, the astrologer can signify the meaning of a chart.
11-05-2013, 11:13 AM
(11-05-2013 11:00 AM)Egor Wrote:  What is it about being an atheist makes you have to insult other people and their beliefs?

What is it that makes you so touchy friend ? It was not intended as an insult, more of a dig Wink *However*, given that you've decided to throw your toys, have a great day Smile