This thing makes me sick

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-06-2012, 12:17 PM
This thing makes me sick
http://www.voanews.com/content/facebook-...11423.html

I don't know where to post this so I chose this forum.

This is so weird. I mean what he did is kind of wrong, but the response is so over the top.

Different note does news go in world news or can I post interesting articles here (in this thread)

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-06-2012, 12:32 PM
RE: This thing makes me sick
It's not just sick. It's flat out dangerous. Being jailed for what you believe or don't believe is very Orwellian/Fahrenheit451ish.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
[+] 3 users Like lightninlives's post
15-06-2012, 12:36 PM
I'm not following how what he did was wrong.

It might not have been the best decision- but it was not morally wrong. He hurt nobody, he only caused them to be offended. It is the overreaction of the Muslim community and the state that was wrong.

The man posted controversial messages on the Facebook page. And he posted controversial (and offensive to Muslims) cartoons. It may have been insensitive, but it wasn't wrong. Jail time is a horrible response. Any legal action whatsoever is bad in my opinion. Sounds like Jakarta has some "getting with the times" to do.

Also, in response to your question- this is something that I would probably put in world news.

Godzilla Kitten, Directed by J.J. Abrams
[Image: Kineoprojectfinished3_zps79916ea4.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like kineo's post
15-06-2012, 12:48 PM
Here is the trouble: Even if a christian would stand up for this man, their arguments are weak. If a christian who believes in the religious nonsense of their religion they are open to illogical non belief. How can they criticize another's belief (which they believe with the same conventions) as being ludicrous.

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-06-2012, 12:52 PM
(15-06-2012 12:48 PM)FaceOfBoe Wrote:  Here is the trouble: Even if a christian would stand up for this man, their arguments are weak. If a christian who believes in the religious nonsense of their religion they are open to illogical non belief. How can they criticize another's belief (which they believe with the same conventions) as being ludicrous.

Well I can stand up strong for atheists. I don't care what the religion is, being jailed because someone was "offended" is just wrong.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
[+] 2 users Like Xinoftruden's post
15-06-2012, 01:23 PM
I wonder what chance this has of being overturned. It seems like every year the hard liners get more vocal. I'd love it if the world became a more secular place but... maybe the hard liners will win...
15-06-2012, 10:17 PM
Interestingly enough, in Canada you can get jailed for Hate speech. Ann Coulter was told not to come speak in Canada because of her Anti-Muslim sentiments. Although What's his face didn't necessarily say anything as derogatory he should have thought out what he did. remember we are talking about a religion in which even the portrayal of Mohammed is considered a crime. Remember Denmark. I don't walk down bronx with a Martin luther king junior t-shirt making him look bad. I'm going to get my ass kicked and no one would blink an eye

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

Up to the heretic, smack, smack, smack!
Down to the jail went Good St. Nick!

When people say WWJD just remember that flipping tables and whipping people is still a valid option.
16-06-2012, 07:01 AM
it was kinda reckless from a certain perspective considering where he was but it is still madness that such rules are being enforced in this era - whats next burning at the stake?
if the hard liners win we might as well kiss our asses good bye

"Villain, i have done thy mother" - Aaron, Act IV, Scene II of Titus Andronicus
16-06-2012, 08:07 AM
See also the thread started by Filox...
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...an-atheist

16-06-2012, 11:02 PM
(15-06-2012 12:32 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  It's not just sick. It's flat out dangerous. Being jailed for what you believe or don't believe is very Orwellian/Fahrenheit451ish.
Is Fahrenheit 451 a book you'd recommend? 1984 is my favorite book of all time.