This truly saddens me...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2013, 10:47 AM
RE: This truly saddens me...
(21-04-2013 10:39 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 10:36 AM)BryanS Wrote:  This kind of thing is most definitely going on in private schools in the US. As I mentioned upthread--I attended one as a young kid. I didn't have wealthy parents, but many parents end up putting kids in these private church run schools (mine was an attached building to a church) because many urban communities have just awful schools. Those without means can only afford the church run private schools because they will often charge a sliding scale for tuition if you are a member of the church in good standing--I'm sure that's the only way my parents could send me and my brother.

Yuck, the idea of a church run school sounds terrible...

But what you're saying is that the government has failed to provide an adequate public education system...

Yes, the government fails to provide adequate education in most urban communities in the US. The schools were almost entirely the reason my parents moved out of the city to the burbs. Most urban districts have poorer people who have no alternative but the church run private schools. They may learn the earth is 6000 years old, but at least they will learn reading, writing, and arithmetic well.

As an aside--you might be tempted to blame money spent, but I can say that my suburban public school teachers were paid less total compensation than the city public school who were paid more than almost any district in the area. Yet the urban schools were the worst performing.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-04-2013, 10:52 AM
(21-04-2013 10:32 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 10:29 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Have you seen anything on the creation museum? People take this shit very seriously. I've had conversations with people here where I am a few states away who come across as completely impressed with the "science" behind this travesty. It's entirely real. If you're never taught anything different, why would you believe any differently?

I've seen Seths video on that atrocity of a building.
It just blows me away that in the 21st century (or even the 20th...) in a Western country such bullshit can not only be present, but present so.. strongly.. in schools.

I still call fake though.

I wouldn't call it fake. However as evidence goes, it is suspect and it saddens me that people do not see it as such and just accept it without question.

Insults From Thinkingatheists forgiven 149
21-04-2013, 11:03 AM
(21-04-2013 10:52 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 10:32 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I've seen Seths video on that atrocity of a building.
It just blows me away that in the 21st century (or even the 20th...) in a Western country such bullshit can not only be present, but present so.. strongly.. in schools.

I still call fake though.

I wouldn't call it fake. However as evidence goes, it is suspect and it saddens me that people do not see it as such and just accept it without question.

No as the evidence goes it is fake. The earth is not 6000 years old it is 4.54 billion years old give or take 1-2%. The creation museum starts at an answer and works backwards to jam everything into it's predetermined opinion it is not science or even close to being believable to anyone with an education in critical thinking and basic science.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
21-04-2013, 11:16 AM
I'm confused.
Dinosaurs existed, false - marked as right
When did God create the dinosaurs, on the 6th day - marked as right

How could God create them if they didn't exists?
[+] 1 user Likes MuffinPuffin's post
21-04-2013, 11:20 AM
As disconcerting as it is that our children are being taught this, they still have time to let their opinions...evolve. Here is what is really scary.

This man is a doctor, and sits on the House Committee on Science and Technology.

'Merica...
http://www.thedailydolt.com/2012/10/05/t...todd-akin/

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
21-04-2013, 11:22 AM
(21-04-2013 11:16 AM)MuffinPuffin Wrote:  I'm confused.

To clarify, the question asked if dinosaurs existed millions of years ago, YEC believe they existed, but only thousands of years ago. And alongside humans. Sadcryface2

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
21-04-2013, 11:24 AM
(21-04-2013 11:16 AM)MuffinPuffin Wrote:  ...

Mysterious way, MuffPuff, mysterious ways.

btw, earmuffs, I went to a church school. It was highly academic and RE (Religious Education) was the joke subject that no one took seriously.

21-04-2013, 11:24 AM
(21-04-2013 11:16 AM)MuffinPuffin Wrote:  I'm confused.

The question is actually Did Dinosaurs live millions of years ago? T/F. Since this is a YEC paper the answer is false cause the earth is only 6000 years old. It should be illegal to lie like this to children.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
21-04-2013, 11:25 AM
(21-04-2013 11:20 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  As disconcerting as it is that our children are being taught this, they still have time to let their opinions...evolve. Here is what is really scary.

This man is a doctor, and sits on the House Committee on Science and Technology.

'Merica...

That is scary. The only good news is this was the same guy who ran for Senate and claimed that women while being raped, if they truly did not want it, would have biological means to prevent pregnancy. This kind of quackery lost him the election, and he no longer represents anything but his own wacky ideas. Dover, PA managed to vote out the creationist school board in the wake of the Dover trial over creationism a few years back. So every once in a while, we see glimmers of hope.
[+] 1 user Likes BryanS's post
21-04-2013, 11:35 AM
(21-04-2013 11:25 AM)BryanS Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 11:20 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  As disconcerting as it is that our children are being taught this, they still have time to let their opinions...evolve. Here is what is really scary.

'Merica...

That is scary. The only good news is this was the same guy who ran for Senate and claimed that women while being raped, if they truly did not want it, would have biological means to prevent pregnancy. This kind of quackery lost him the election, and he no longer represents anything but his own wacky ideas. Dover, PA managed to vote out the creationist school board in the wake of the Dover trial over creationism a few years back. So every once in a while, we see glimmers of hope.

I think you're referring to Todd Akin, who is also mentioned in the article. I'm not sure that Paul Broun (who is the main subject of the article) has received any actual backlash from these comments. I could be wrong, I'd have to look more.

~ Umberto Eco