This truly saddens me...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2013, 11:43 AM
RE: This truly saddens me...
(21-04-2013 11:35 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 11:25 AM)BryanS Wrote:  That is scary. The only good news is this was the same guy who ran for Senate and claimed that women while being raped, if they truly did not want it, would have biological means to prevent pregnancy. This kind of quackery lost him the election, and he no longer represents anything but his own wacky ideas. Dover, PA managed to vote out the creationist school board in the wake of the Dover trial over creationism a few years back. So every once in a while, we see glimmers of hope.

I think you're referring to Todd Akin, who is also mentioned in the article. I'm not sure that Paul Broun (who is the main subject of the article) has received any actual backlash from these comments. I could be wrong, I'd have to look more.

Paul Collins Broun, Jr. (born May 14, 1946)[2] is the U.S. Representative for Georgia's 10th congressional district, serving since 2007. He is a member of the Republican Party and the Tea Party Caucus. On February 6, 2012, Broun announced that he plans to run for the U.S. Senate in the United States Senate election in Georgia, 2014 being vacated by Saxby Chambliss.

As a side note Saxby Chambliss is an awesome name.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-04-2013, 11:44 AM
(21-04-2013 11:35 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 11:25 AM)BryanS Wrote:  That is scary. The only good news is this was the same guy who ran for Senate and claimed that women while being raped, if they truly did not want it, would have biological means to prevent pregnancy. This kind of quackery lost him the election, and he no longer represents anything but his own wacky ideas. Dover, PA managed to vote out the creationist school board in the wake of the Dover trial over creationism a few years back. So every once in a while, we see glimmers of hope.

I think you're referring to Todd Akin, who is also mentioned in the article. I'm not sure that Paul Broun (who is the main subject of the article) has received any actual backlash from these comments. I could be wrong, I'd have to look more.

Ahhh, yes. Noticed the Akin name in the link name. The other guy is still there.

For those who want to find out more about creationism in the US, browse through some videos on the National Center for Science Education youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/NatCen4ScienceEd

Creationists are still a force in US education system. Kitzmiller v Dover happened in 2005 for craps sake! Watch the special from PBS , Intelligent Design on Trial, for some background on this :
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/evolution/i...trial.html
21-04-2013, 11:51 AM
(21-04-2013 11:43 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 11:35 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  I think you're referring to Todd Akin, who is also mentioned in the article. I'm not sure that Paul Broun (who is the main subject of the article) has received any actual backlash from these comments. I could be wrong, I'd have to look more.

Paul Collins Broun, Jr. (born May 14, 1946)[2] is the U.S. Representative for Georgia's 10th congressional district, serving since 2007. He is a member of the Republican Party and the Tea Party Caucus. On February 6, 2012, Broun announced that he plans to run for the U.S. Senate in the United States Senate election in Georgia, 2014 being vacated by Saxby Chambliss.

Akin may have been too much for Missouri state wide once he ran for an office outside his socially conservative House district, but this Broun guy may actually fit Georgia.

We have to keep in mind that evangelist types get elected governors like George W Bush when he was gov in Texas, and Bobby Jindal in Louisiana . Jindal is a full on creationist who has signed laws allowing creationism to be taught in public schools:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana_S...cation_Act
21-04-2013, 11:54 AM
Easy 'A.

It looks like something a private religious school would give out.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
21-04-2013, 11:55 AM
(21-04-2013 11:51 AM)BryanS Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 11:43 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Paul Collins Broun, Jr. (born May 14, 1946)[2] is the U.S. Representative for Georgia's 10th congressional district, serving since 2007. He is a member of the Republican Party and the Tea Party Caucus. On February 6, 2012, Broun announced that he plans to run for the U.S. Senate in the United States Senate election in Georgia, 2014 being vacated by Saxby Chambliss.

Akin may have been too much for Missouri state wide once he ran for an office outside his socially conservative House district, but this Broun guy may actually fit Georgia.

We have to keep in mind that evangelist types get elected governors like George W Bush when he was gov in Texas, and Bobby Jindal in Louisiana . Jindal is a full on creationist who has signed laws allowing creationism to be taught in public schools:

You will never go broke overestimating the stupidity of the american public Weeping

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
21-04-2013, 12:29 PM
(21-04-2013 11:55 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 11:51 AM)BryanS Wrote:  Akin may have been too much for Missouri state wide once he ran for an office outside his socially conservative House district, but this Broun guy may actually fit Georgia.

You will never go broke overestimating the stupidity of the american public Weeping

Cmon now, not all of us. But sadly enough to elect jokers like this into leadership positions.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
21-04-2013, 12:34 PM
(21-04-2013 12:29 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 11:55 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  You will never go broke overestimating the stupidity of the american public Weeping

Cmon now, not all of us. But sadly enough to elect jokers like this into leadership positions.

Not not all are fools but enough can be fooled that it negates those of us who choose to use that fatty grey organ located behind our eyes.

21-04-2013, 01:39 PM
(21-04-2013 12:34 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 12:29 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Cmon now, not all of us. But sadly enough to elect jokers like this into leadership positions.

Not not all are fools but enough can be fooled that it negates those of us who choose to use that fatty grey organ located behind our eyes.

You callin my gray organ fat?! Angry

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
21-04-2013, 07:14 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if this was real. I've seen similar things with older people as well. I still remember people saying God planted fossils in the earth to fool scientists so he can find the true believers.

Brainwashing is rampant like a plague and disease within religion. Of course not all religious people do this but the ones who do it take full advantage of young minds to twist and turn them into locked prisons which only retain information that they want to believe rather than is fact.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
21-04-2013, 07:52 PM
(21-04-2013 07:14 PM)ShirubaDangan Wrote:  

I wouldn't be surprised if this was real. I've seen similar things with older people as well. I still remember people saying God planted fossils in the earth to fool scientists so he can find the true believers.

Brainwashing is rampant like a plague and disease within religion. Of course not all religious people do this but the ones who do it take full advantage of young minds to twist and turn them into locked prisons which only retain information that they want to believe rather than is fact.

Watch the whole documentary. That's Jesus Camp, right? "shiver"

~ Umberto Eco