This truly saddens me...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2013, 08:13 PM
RE: This truly saddens me...
(21-04-2013 07:52 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 07:14 PM)ShirubaDangan Wrote:  

I wouldn't be surprised if this was real. I've seen similar things with older people as well. I still remember people saying God planted fossils in the earth to fool scientists so he can find the true believers.

Brainwashing is rampant like a plague and disease within religion. Of course not all religious people do this but the ones who do it take full advantage of young minds to twist and turn them into locked prisons which only retain information that they want to believe rather than is fact.

Watch the whole documentary. That's Jesus Camp, right? "shiver"

I've watched it and numerous ones which involve child indoctrination.

Like hell houses! These sweet and cuddly places where they even allow children to be pushed through like cattle to fear an eternity in fire and hate people like gays to avoid endless pain. Fear and indoctrination are large parts of religion. I believe that is what gives them great control besides one other element which is the carrot they dangle in front of them that is heaven. With these you can easily control someone. Especially a young kids.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ShirubaDangan's post
21-04-2013, 08:48 PM
Oh yeah, Hell House was fun. Link to some more if you got 'em. These are the only two that I can think of that I've watched.

It's strange to realize the amount of indoctrination that I went through as a child, and then realize how mild it was compared to what these kids are going through. I thank my lucky balls that my parents, as religious as they are, never went to the lengths that these people have to ensure complete mental surrender.

On the upside, during Hell House it's encouraging to see the amount of skepticism displayed by most of the kids that come to view it.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
21-04-2013, 08:51 PM
(21-04-2013 11:24 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 11:16 AM)MuffinPuffin Wrote:  ...
How could God create them if they didn't exists?

Mysterious way, MuffPuff, mysterious ways.

btw, earmuffs, I went to a church school. It was highly academic and RE (Religious Education) was the joke subject that no one took seriously.

RE is different to what they're "teaching" here though.
If RE for you is anything like it was for my sister (who went to a catholic private school (where as I had to go to a public school... feel the love right? Yet I'm the one who's at university, who's going over seas next year etc.. and she's the one knocked up at 23... I told them they were waisting the good education on her right from the beginning, but did they believe me? of course not.. Once again my brilliance was ignored and left to flourish under my own self motivation as opposed to a guiding hand. But I am a good person and hold only small amounts of resentment. They will suffer only a little when they get old and it comes time to put them in a home..)), it's the study of religion. 'This religion says this', 'that religion says that'.
It's not, CREATIONISM IS REAL GOD DAMN IT!!!!!!!!!

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
21-04-2013, 09:11 PM
It's quite possibly true as a 1st Grade science test in a private Christian school. I checked this out Snopes.com and nothing was listed there. But the questions are straight out of Answers in Genesis literature.

When I was in Christian grade school they did a pretty good job teaching basic science to grade school kids (far better than their public school counterparts leaned). They didn't know shit from shinola about evolution and everything in our world 'was created this way by God'. Nonetheless.

But this was in 1985. Today's fundamentalist Christians are far mor rabid - and stupid - about conflicts between science and the Bible. I guess it's because they continually lose battles against science, which makes them believe the only way to win is to become even crazier. Now 28 years later, you see just how nuts - and laughably pathetic - it's become. Give it ten more years and you'll watch it collapse under the weight of its own bullshit and believers will abandon this crap en masse.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
21-04-2013, 09:19 PM
(21-04-2013 09:11 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  It's quite possibly true as a 1st Grade science test in a private Christian school. I checked this out Snopes.com and nothing was listed there. But the questions are straight out of Answers in Genesis literature.

When I was in Christian grade school they did a pretty good job teaching basic science to grade school kids (far better than their public school counterparts leaned). They didn't know shit from shinola about evolution and everything in our world 'was created this way by God'. Nonetheless.

But this was in 1985. Today's fundamentalist Christians are far mor rabid - and stupid - about conflicts between science and the Bible. I guess it's because they continually lose battles against science, which makes them believe the only way to win is to become even crazier. Now 28 years later, you see just how nuts - and laughably pathetic - it's become. Give it ten more years and you'll watch it collapse under the weight of its own bullshit and believers will abandon this crap en masse.

This is the direction it's going, thank Odin. But ten more years....

With the tensions in the world as they are due to this kind of belief, coupled with the advancement of nuclear technology in regions of the world much more indoctrinated as we are, I fear ten years is not enough time to diffuse silly superstitions. We laugh at the crazy creationist museums, while zionists collect donations en masse to infiltrate government positions in order to lobby for the apocalypse. I'd like to think I just have my tin foil hat on, but there's crazy documentary evidence of this out there too.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
21-04-2013, 09:29 PM
The scary thing is that there is similar stuff going on in parts of Britain, IN STATE FUNDED SCHOOLS! I saw a Richard Dawkins documentary and as part of it he went to a state funded school that is run outside of Government control. The teacher he spoke to (head of science I believe) freely admitted that almost every page of their science books mentioned religion. It was using a curriculum called Accelerated Christian Learning.

I'm just thankful I went to a normal school. We had RE lessons but they were for learning about the beliefs and customs of various religions, they in no way claimed any of it was remotely true. The teacher I had for my AS level was an open atheist and quite often in lessons me and her would speak about some of the blatant inconsistencies in Christianity.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
21-04-2013, 09:46 PM
(21-04-2013 08:48 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Oh yeah, Hell House was fun. Link to some more if you got 'em. These are the only two that I can think of that I've watched.

It's strange to realize the amount of indoctrination that I went through as a child, and then realize how mild it was compared to what these kids are going through. I thank my lucky balls that my parents, as religious as they are, never went to the lengths that these people have to ensure complete mental surrender.

On the upside, during Hell House it's encouraging to see the amount of skepticism displayed by most of the kids that come to view it.

I have plenty of videos but first this is the first one I think Hughsie is referring to and while you watch that I'll try to get a few to watch.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
21-04-2013, 10:51 PM
(21-04-2013 09:29 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  The scary thing is that there is similar stuff going on in parts of Britain, IN STATE FUNDED SCHOOLS! I saw a Richard Dawkins documentary and as part of it he went to a state funded school that is run outside of Government control. The teacher he spoke to (head of science I believe) freely admitted that almost every page of their science books mentioned religion. It was using a curriculum called Accelerated Christian Learning.

I'm just thankful I went to a normal school. We had RE lessons but they were for learning about the beliefs and customs of various religions, they in no way claimed any of it was remotely true. The teacher I had for my AS level was an open atheist and quite often in lessons me and her would speak about some of the blatant inconsistencies in Christianity.

RE sounds like an ok thing, if it's done right. Dennett talked about the benefits of requiring the education of all religions as opposed to just one. Let inquiring minds learn all of the options.

To be honest, this is the first I've heard of RE. It's just not common where I'm from. In fairness, I may live in Kansas, but I don't ever recall being taught anything about religion in school. But that's not to say that a religious worldview wasn't the expected norm in my town, and anywhere else I went.

Anytown, USA. Church on every corner.

~ Umberto Eco
25-04-2013, 07:57 PM
It is real.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/signs/sciencetest.asp
[+] 3 users Like slydog's post
26-04-2013, 05:57 PM (This post was last modified: 26-04-2013 06:06 PM by Free Thought.)
Damn, I had just found that Snopes page and went straight here to put it up, Slydog beat me to it..

(25-04-2013 07:57 PM)slydog Wrote:  It is real.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/signs/sciencetest.asp

(21-04-2013 10:00 AM)Matthew Laramore Wrote:  http://imgur.com/a/pPJmj#0

The image from the start of the thread is considered "PROBABLY TRUE" by Snopes, how sad.

[Edit:Clarification]

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post