This weeks indoctrination is...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-12-2013, 01:06 AM
This weeks indoctrination is...
So I'm in church right now. Chilling in the back reading shit on the forum, I don't even think that I'm part of the quorum. Ok I'm not a rapper. If you ever drop by church every now and then, write up the indoctrination you experience.

So the preacher says "We live in a universe that is not random. We don't wake up one day with the sea where the land should be and the land where the sea should be. We don't wake up with the sun rising in the north. The earth doesn't suddenly spin in a different direction on it's axis. Everything is ordered according to what god said it should do. I was amazed when I got my first moon cycle calendar. These scientists know exactly when and where the moon will be. How much will be visible and they can predict high and low tide with great accuracy for a whole year. They even have atomic clocks that are very accurate. But they can't be as accurate as the divine clock that god has established! This is a universe governed by god. This is a universe with cause and effect. God said so. All these things happen because god makes it so!"

Then to collect the tithe he continued with "If you put pumkin seeds in the ground you get pumkins. If you put cabbage seeds in the ground you get cabbage. So if you want to reap financial success you need to sow a financial seed. God has governed the world this way! If a man earns 10 thousand and only gives 5 bucks as a tithe, will he reap a financial seed? What about a man who earns 1 thousand and gives 5 hundred? He will receive a financial reward because he has truly given."

Wow!

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes BlackMason's post
15-12-2013, 01:10 AM
RE: This weeks indoctrination is...
(15-12-2013 01:06 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  So I'm in church right now. Chilling in the back reading shit on the forum, I don't even think that I'm part of the quorum. Ok I'm not a rapper. If you ever drop by church every now and then, write up the indoctrination you experience.

So the preacher says "We live in a universe that is not random. We don't wake up one day with the sea where the land should be and the land where the sea should be. We don't wake up with the sun rising in the north. The earth doesn't suddenly spin in a different direction on it's axis. Everything is ordered according to what god said it should do. I was amazed when I got my first moon cycle calendar. These scientists know exactly when and where the moon will be. How much will be visible and they can predict high and low tide with great accuracy for a whole year. They even have atomic clocks that are very accurate. But they can't be as accurate as the divine clock that god has established! This is a universe governed by god. This is a universe with cause and effect. God said so. All these things happen because god makes it so!"

Then to collect the tithe he continued with "If you put pumkin seeds in the ground you get pumkins. If you put cabbage seeds in the ground you get cabbage. So if you want to reap financial success you need to sow a financial seed. God has governed the world this way! If a man earns 10 thousand and only gives 5 bucks as a tithe, will he reap a financial seed? What about a man who earns 1 thousand and gives 5 hundred? He will receive a financial reward because he has truly given."

Wow!

Lol, somebody confuses natural laws for intelligent agency. How very typical of them.

As a counter-point to his (quasi)-argument, you should state "pray to god to help the starving children in Africa, watch as nothing happens."

[Image: giphy.gif]
15-12-2013, 05:43 AM
Atomic clocks are more accurate than divine clocks. Earth wobbles too much to keep accurate time. That's why we have UTC time. UTC is the same as atomic clock time, except that it is adjusted to within one second of "divine" GMT which is based on astronomical observations. The adjustments are known as leap seconds. If we didn't keep doing this the earth would drift too far from true time.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
15-12-2013, 09:15 AM
how very convenient of that lecture to weave in the demand for $$$$$
15-12-2013, 09:17 AM
God always needs cash.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
15-12-2013, 11:11 PM
(15-12-2013 09:17 AM)Anjele Wrote:  God always needs cash.

[Image: 32574-George-carlin-happiness-BL2K.jpeg]

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 7 users Like EvolutionKills's post
15-12-2013, 11:22 PM
Buddha says the sakes the same thing. Karma. Cause and effect (science). Laws of nature.

God of the gaps. Lovely. If good willed shit so much, why is it more orderly (an predictable) than unpredictable and random?

Doesn't predictability point in the direction of a more absolute, calculated reason than "God done dun it".

Ugh.

I feel your pain.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
15-12-2013, 11:28 PM
Heh, prosperity theology seems to be popular these days. Why donate for charity's sake when you can donate for a reward of material wealth? Sadly, many people believe in it because it's so simple to fulfill the prophecy. If you get a job, a government cheque, find a lost ring, receive an insurance pay-out, gain an investor, or find a stray fifty dollar bill, you've gained material wealth after donating, just like the minister said you would.

Of course, you would have had more money had you not given the church half your paycheque, but that's irrelevant. Tongue

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
15-12-2013, 11:39 PM
(15-12-2013 01:06 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  So the preacher says "We live in a universe that is not random. We don't wake up one day with the sea where the land should be and the land where the sea should be. We don't wake up with the sun rising in the north. The earth doesn't suddenly spin in a different direction on it's axis. Everything is ordered according to what god said it should do. I was amazed when I got my first moon cycle calendar. These scientists know exactly when and where the moon will be. How much will be visible and they can predict high and low tide with great accuracy for a whole year. They even have atomic clocks that are very accurate. But they can't be as accurate as the divine clock that god has established! This is a universe governed by god. This is a universe with cause and effect. God said so. All these things happen because god makes it so!"

So the question to ask back is, (since they use this argument all the time), "exactly how much disorder, precisely, would they have to see, for them to preach that no god was involved". Generally I get "Oh, there is nothing that would shake my faith", (which is what I was fishing for). Then you can turn it around, and show how hypocritical using this sort of argument is, as they really don't accept it themselves, as valid.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
16-12-2013, 12:15 AM
I did not give money to the church, but put some coins in the ground.
Next springI wii reap my fortune.