This will make you feel old...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-09-2017, 05:23 AM
RE: This will make you feel old...
The most unsettling phenomenon is how time seems to accelerate as you get older.
Your life up to about college age seems like eternity.
Then you get to be around 25 or so and the years fly by.
The fucking 80's seem like yesterday.
Summer vacations used to go on forever when I was a kid.
Now decades seem to go by fast.
On the plus side this phenomenon seems to produce a real resistance to bullshit.
I mean the big bullshit. Patriotism, Politics, Religion.
All the horse shit they use to convince you to waste your fucking life in service of someone else's agenda.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like BikerDude's post
21-09-2017, 05:33 AM
(20-09-2017 04:05 PM)Rockblossom Wrote:  Oh, I have all kinds of ways to feel old. I recently realized that there's a whole generation of military retirees I never met because they were still in High School when I retired from the military. That's a bit unsettling. Shocking

I didn't retire, but if I had stayed in I could have in 99. Earlier this year I had a thought similar to yours when I realized that kids born the year I could have retired are now old enough to serve.

I had another fuck me moment while I was in Kwaj recently. There were a bunch of Patriot people there for a shoot. I was sitting on the porch of the BQ shooting the shit with a few of them one afternoon and told them I used to be a Nike Hercules radar tech. One of them didn't know what Nike was or that it was the predecessor of the Patriot system. He asked when I served. When I told him he said that explains it. He hadn't been born yet.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
21-09-2017, 05:49 AM
(21-09-2017 05:10 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I just had my 50th birthday, it sucks being old Sad

While being dead doesn't suck at all. Drinking Beverage
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-09-2017, 07:23 AM
I have an odd situation where I am "second hand old".

I'm 29, (only last month), and my dad is 47....do the maths on that one hah. Because of this though, he was still growing up, but also taught me about all the cool stuff from his child-hood, because it wasn't really that long before I was born. As such I have a depth of knowledge of movies/music/general 70's TV shows, that all happened about 16-17 years prior to my birth, as well as all the stuff his dad taught him about as a young one. Not that impressive maybe, although I know TONS of people my age, or age range, who have no idea about certain things or downright refusal to learn about various cultural things of that era because it was "before their time"

Now I'm a parent to a 7 year old daughter, who has missed out on TONS of stuff. She asked me recently what a CD was, as she's from a "streaming" generation. I'm waiting for the day when she finds an old VHS or a beta-max and asks me what it is lol.

The Helpful Atheist - An Information Blog
Last updated: 08/11/2017 - Want to contribute, drop me a PM
21-09-2017, 07:26 AM
(21-09-2017 07:23 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  I have an odd situation where I am "second hand old".

I'm 29, (only last month), and my dad is 47....do the maths on that one hah. Because of this though, he was still growing up, but also taught me about all the cool stuff from his child-hood, because it wasn't really that long before I was born. As such I have a depth of knowledge of movies/music/general 70's TV shows, that all happened about 16-17 years prior to my birth, as well as all the stuff his dad taught him about as a young one. Not that impressive maybe, although I know TONS of people my age, or age range, who have no idea about certain things or downright refusal to learn about various cultural things of that era because it was "before their time"

Now I'm a parent to a 7 year old daughter, who has missed out on TONS of stuff. She asked me recently what a CD was, as she's from a "streaming" generation. I'm waiting for the day when she finds an old VHS or a beta-max and asks me what it is lol.

You and your Dad are super lucky.
I have a wide spread in the ages of my kids.
I'm 56 and my youngest son is 9.
I bum out hugely that I'm just too damn old to do a lot of the shit that I did when I was younger with him.
Oh well. With love it all works out.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
21-09-2017, 07:33 AM
(21-09-2017 07:26 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  
(21-09-2017 07:23 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  I have an odd situation where I am "second hand old".

You and your Dad are super lucky.
I have a wide spread in the ages of my kids.
I'm 56 and my youngest son is 9.
I bum out hugely that I'm just too damn old to do a lot of the shit that I did when I was younger with him.
Oh well. With love it all works out.

I will say that whilst we are super close, like some brothers are, we are so alike that he pisses me off on a constant basis. With him being very close to me in age as well, we like a lot of the same stuff/do a lot of the same things, so at times I do wish he was a stereotypical "older dad". From a dad POV, I think he wishes I was younger as well, as with me being married with kids now, we don't really get to catch up as much as we'd probably both like.

We hang out every few weeks to have a beer (or seven) and catch up haha. I'm still picking up recommendations for music from him on a weekly basis it seems.

The Helpful Atheist - An Information Blog
Last updated: 08/11/2017 - Want to contribute, drop me a PM
21-09-2017, 07:38 AM
(21-09-2017 05:49 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(21-09-2017 05:10 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I just had my 50th birthday, it sucks being old Sad

While being dead doesn't suck at all. Drinking Beverage

Too true, being dead doesn't suck in the slightest, not one little bit. Yes
21-09-2017, 08:12 AM
It does make me feel old when I mention VHS tapes, floppy disks, my old phone that opened like a wallet, and all I get are confused looks. I'm only 23 gorramit!

Kids these days...

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
21-09-2017, 08:13 AM

This reminds me of a young Mick Jagger singing "What a drag it is getting old" (in "Mother's Little Helper").

Not that you're not old, but it's all relative (I'm 62). Oh, to be 50 again!

Tongue
21-09-2017, 08:29 AM
When your doctors keep asking you "How is it you're still alive" you don't complain about getting old.

BTW, several have actually said that after reading my records. None of them have my full records, or they'd be doing the sign of the cross and wearing garlic bulbs. Evil_monster