This will make you feel old...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-09-2017, 10:15 AM
RE: This will make you feel old...
(21-09-2017 08:29 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  When your doctors keep asking you "How is it you're still alive" you don't complain about getting old.

You are doing it right!
I intend to be 100% used up when I shed this mortal coil.

[Image: Bacon_454a5f_272103.jpg]
[Image: bacon_demotivational_by_sikklownink-d573i1r.jpg]

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-09-2017, 10:21 AM
(21-09-2017 05:23 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  The most unsettling phenomenon is how time seems to accelerate as you get older.
Your life up to about college age seems like eternity.
Then you get to be around 25 or so and the years fly by.
The fucking 80's seem like yesterday.
Summer vacations used to go on forever when I was a kid.
Now decades seem to go by fast.
On the plus side this phenomenon seems to produce a real resistance to bullshit.
I mean the big bullshit. Patriotism, Politics, Religion.
All the horse shit they use to convince you to waste your fucking life in service of someone else's agenda.

My suspicion is that this is because when you're 20, one year represents 5% of your life, but when you're 50, one year is 2%. That changing proportion is what we sense as time flying as we age.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
21-09-2017, 10:29 AM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2017 10:38 AM by BikerDude.)
(21-09-2017 10:21 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  My suspicion is that this is because when you're 20, one year represents 5% of your life, but when you're 50, one year is 2%. That changing proportion is what we sense as time flying as we age.

Yeah I understand that.
Could be.
Of course it might be the long dark corridor leading to a certain meaningless end with nothing but doors that lead to rooms full of memories and broken dreams. Otherwise known as marriage.

21-09-2017, 10:29 AM
(20-09-2017 09:32 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  On January 1st, 2022, less than five years from now, anyone who wasn't born this century will be legally allowed to drink in the US. Sad

I have felt old for a long time.

Try mentioning the Carol Burnett Show to a youngen.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
21-09-2017, 10:32 AM
(21-09-2017 10:21 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(21-09-2017 05:23 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  The most unsettling phenomenon is how time seems to accelerate as you get older.
Your life up to about college age seems like eternity.
Then you get to be around 25 or so and the years fly by.
The fucking 80's seem like yesterday.
Summer vacations used to go on forever when I was a kid.
Now decades seem to go by fast.
On the plus side this phenomenon seems to produce a real resistance to bullshit.
I mean the big bullshit. Patriotism, Politics, Religion.
All the horse shit they use to convince you to waste your fucking life in service of someone else's agenda.

My suspicion is that this is because when you're 20, one year represents 5% of your life, but when you're 50, one year is 2%. That changing proportion is what we sense as time flying as we age.

In the UK, our movie rating system is: U [for Universal / for all], PG , 12, 15 and 18

I remember being like 10 thinking about watching movies in the cinema. "Man I can't wait to be 12, to watch all the good movies". Then at 12 "Man I can't wait to be 15...". At 15, "I cannot wait to be 18". At 18, "Is that it?".

As drinking age is 18 here,[Driving is like 17 and sexual consent is 16 I think] that was another thing, but now I'm 29, 30 next year, and it seems everything is just flying by me now lol.

The Helpful Atheist - An Information Blog
Last updated: 08/11/2017 - Want to contribute, drop me a PM
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
21-09-2017, 10:36 AM
(21-09-2017 10:29 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  
(21-09-2017 10:21 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  My suspicion is that this is because when you're 20, one year represents 5% of your life, but when you're 50, one year is 2%. That changing proportion is what we sense as time flying as we age.

Yeah I understand that.
Could be.
Of course it might be the long dark corridor leading to a certain meaningless end with nothing but doors that lead to rooms full of memories and broken dreams. Otherwise known as marriage.

I've never been married, but it was my impression that marriage made every day feel like a goddamned year or two. Smile
21-09-2017, 10:39 AM
(21-09-2017 10:32 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  

In the UK, our movie rating system is: U [for Universal / for all], PG , 12, 15 and 18

I remember being like 10 thinking about watching movies in the cinema. "Man I can't wait to be 12, to watch all the good movies". Then at 12 "Man I can't wait to be 15...". At 15, "I cannot wait to be 18". At 18, "Is that it?".

As drinking age is 18 here,[Driving is like 17 and sexual consent is 16 I think] that was another thing, but now I'm 29, 30 next year, and it seems everything is just flying by me now lol.

Yeah, you wish you were older until you start wishing you were younger. The boundary between those two states might be a good definition of the beginning of "old age".
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
21-09-2017, 10:42 AM
(21-09-2017 10:15 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  
(21-09-2017 08:29 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  When your doctors keep asking you "How is it you're still alive" you don't complain about getting old.

You are doing it right!
I intend to be 100% used up when I shed this mortal coil.

Already there. Boss Lady says I'm running on pure stubborn.
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
21-09-2017, 10:55 AM
(21-09-2017 08:12 AM)Loom Wrote:  It does make me feel old when I mention VHS tapes, floppy disks, my old phone that opened like a wallet, and all I get are confused looks. I'm only 23 gorramit!

Kids these days...

When at the cardiologist last week for some tests, the tech rolled a machine up next to me that was a tangle of tubes and BP cuffs (even little tiny ones for my big toes). When he took the piece off that held all those hoses and tubes he revealed a space for a 3.5 floppy disk complete with the eject button. When I started laughing, he asked why and I hadn't seen one of those in a while and had some blank disks at home if he needed them. Tongue

He asked that I mention to the doctor that I noticed how antiquated the equipment was.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
21-09-2017, 10:58 AM
(21-09-2017 10:36 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(21-09-2017 10:29 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  Yeah I understand that.
Could be.

I've never been married, but it was my impression that marriage made every day feel like a goddamned year or two. Smile
Yes a strange phenomenon.
Days and weeks take forever while weekends and years go by like exits on the freeway. Zoom zoom zoom.

[+] 1 user Likes BikerDude's post