This woman's behavior fascinates me.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-10-2015, 11:54 AM
RE: This woman's behavior fascinates me.
(25-10-2015 11:46 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  The only thing interesting is why the hell the bus driver, or whatever it is, lost control of the vehicle.

Pretty sure that's the ass end of a bus. Somebody forgot to set the parking brake. oops.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
25-10-2015, 01:01 PM
(25-10-2015 01:21 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I am assuming everyone in that video is acting on instinct.....that none of them are really consciously deciding their actions. It is an interesting video because what we see is the primitive parts of the brain working. This is fast thinking at work.

She flees before the man, but when she realizes the man isn't with her, her instinct is to turn back and cross into harms way to be with the man. She then moves behind the man like he is going to protect her.

I also find it interesting that she instinctively grabbed her coffee.

You should watch the movie The Loneliest Planet, there's a scene in which a guy pulls a gun out on a man and his fiancee, and the man hides behind his finance, and then realizing it get's in front of her. His fiancé ends up cheating on him with the tour guide as a result.

I'm sure there is something primordial about it, that's not so easily shakeable.

I found a clip:

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
25-10-2015, 01:06 PM
I must be missing the fascination. Two people saw a vehicle that appeared to be on track to slam into the windows in front of them. They grabbed their stuff and moved to safety. I don't read anything else into it other than the instinct to survive.

I get grabbing the laptop but figure I would have been jittery enough to not need the coffee.

Now had one or both of them sat there and let the vehicle slam into them, when they had the time to move, I might be morbidly fascinated.

whatamImissing

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
26-10-2015, 12:21 AM (This post was last modified: 26-10-2015 12:26 AM by Heywood Jahblome.)
(25-10-2015 10:27 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I disagree with that entire interpretation. I see them both observing that they have enough time to comfortably grab their stuff and move before impact, so they get their coffee and computer, and walk away. He walks directly into the store, directly away from the threat. She does not, choosing at first to cover behind the non-glass, solid part of the wall. A moment later, she notices he went deeper into the store and thinks, "Yeah that's probably better than standing by the front wall", and moves to follow his better idea.

At first her action makes the most sense. Move perpendicular to the path of the on coming bus. That is how you get out of the way. The guy really doesn't move out of its path and is probably a meat stain if the building doesn't stop the bus. What I find interesting is that she basically notices her companion's location and begins to move toward him in the same instance. I doubt there was any conscious thought here. There just isn't enough time.

(25-10-2015 10:27 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  You've projected sexist interpretations into a scenario where none are warranted.

Why should it be that instinctive human behavior evolve not to be sexist? If you believe in God, then at least you can have a reason to believe instinctive human behavior is egalitarian. That is the way God designed it....a theist could believe. If you are an atheist, you really have no reason whatsoever to believe there is no sexism in instinctive human behavior. Evolution doesn't care about modern human sensibilities.
26-10-2015, 12:28 AM
(25-10-2015 08:07 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(25-10-2015 03:31 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Yeah, I'd probably miss you. Big Grin

Beat_stick

Too many Gwynnies. Heart

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-10-2015, 12:31 AM
(25-10-2015 11:46 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I wonder if they had sex that night to celebrate their living through the incident. I hope so!

Maybe that hanging swinging thing on the right is a sex swing.
26-10-2015, 12:57 AM
(26-10-2015 12:31 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(25-10-2015 11:46 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I wonder if they had sex that night to celebrate their living through the incident. I hope so!

Maybe that hanging swinging thing on the right is a sex swing.

That's exactly what I thought!

I dunno....when I watch the video it seems to me they see the bus coming with tons of warning. I suspect it was a rolling runaway vehicle that gained speed. Grabbing their shit only makes sense, since they could see they had time to do so. So that doesn't surprise me at all. It's a pretty normal instinct to take your stuff with you when you are getting out of harms way.

I'm not so sure she was retreating to the back of the store as a way to get to the other people. The video doesn't show much, but it seems like her first escape route was the right direction, just the wrong destination. It looks like there's less space, so she may have second guessed her decision since there's a chance she could get trapped. As she redirected to the back of the store, she forgot to account for the fact that the runaway bus was probably continuing to accelerate, and therefore cut her second escape exceptionally close.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
26-10-2015, 06:26 AM
(25-10-2015 10:27 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I disagree with that entire interpretation. I see them both observing that they have enough time to comfortably grab their stuff and move before impact, so they get their coffee and computer, and walk away. He walks directly into the store, directly away from the threat. She does not, choosing at first to cover behind the non-glass, solid part of the wall. A moment later, she notices he went deeper into the store and thinks, "Yeah that's probably better than standing by the front wall", and moves to follow his better idea.

It is clear that the actual impact, as she passes by the corner of the bar, takes her completely by surprise, so she had obviously lost track of the timing of the oncoming bus, and the fright speeds her flight to the back of the store. At the end of the video, she runs past the man in the direction of the rear of the store, NOT stopping for or turning toward him (as she would if she considered him to be "man-shelter"). The fact that he is there at that point is irrelevant.

You've projected sexist interpretations into a scenario where none are warranted.

I would agree with your interpretation. The danger doesn't catch anybody by surprise so we can't say that all those reaction are instinctive. The relative calm of all the persons in the room seems to indicate that all mouvements were calculated.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
26-10-2015, 06:37 AM
(26-10-2015 12:21 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Why should it be that instinctive human behavior evolve not to be sexist? If you believe in God, then at least you can have a reason to believe instinctive human behavior is egalitarian. That is the way God designed it....a theist could believe. If you are an atheist, you really have no reason whatsoever to believe there is no sexism in instinctive human behavior. Evolution doesn't care about modern human sensibilities.

To answer your question about human instinctive behaviors in dangers, I would say that from what I have read on the subject, unlike popular belief, there is almost no difference between men and women reactions to danger at the instinctive level. The prime difference is psychological preperation (for exemple martial/professionnal training) and age (life experience). One of the great myth of those kind of stories is that our reactions to danger are instinctive while in reality they are has much learned, if not even more, as they are instinctive. The human behavior didn't «evolved» in a naturalistic sense of the term. Our capacity for insight, rationnalisation, self correction, establishment of traditions and formal/informal teaching methods prevent evolution in a naturalistic sense of the term to fully take place in that area even if does exist. I would also like to point out that in a primitive, pre animal domestication setting, men were just as much dependent on women for their safety and survival than the other way around. Brave, clever yet prudent people tend to survive more easily to rough time than the others.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
26-10-2015, 07:26 AM
(26-10-2015 12:21 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(25-10-2015 10:27 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  You've projected sexist interpretations into a scenario where none are warranted.

Why should it be that instinctive human behavior evolve not to be sexist? If you believe in God, then at least you can have a reason to believe instinctive human behavior is egalitarian. That is the way God designed it....a theist could believe. If you are an atheist, you really have no reason whatsoever to believe there is no sexism in instinctive human behavior. Evolution doesn't care about modern human sensibilities.

Non sequitur. It simply does not follow that belief in God has any connection to "reason to believe instinctive human behavior is egalitarian".

It is also not what I said. I said that you have projected sexist interpretations into a scenario where such interpretations are unwarranted. As noted by others, it is clear that they had enough time to consciously choose their actions, including "should probably grab my coffee" and "I may not have chosen the best way to get out of the way". It's more likely that the bus would break enough of the wall to hurt people standing near the collision point, even if they moved perpendicularly to the actual path of the bus, should the ceiling collapse in that area, for instance. We have no evidence in this scenario that there were forces of sexism at play, and attempting to paste them onto the scenario post hoc does no one any good.

Whether or not there are sexist notions in instinctive human behavior is another question entirely.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post